There seems to be a lot of interest in gardening and pets recently, so I will throw out my question.

I am wanting to build a fish pond in my garden under a banana tree, is this ok?

I want to make it about 6 square metres.

Can anyone offer ideas on the best way to do this. I want to do it for my daughters birthday, so want to do it myself. What I am thinking of is digging the hole and lining it with cement. Anyone got experience of pumps etc. I don't want to spend more than 5,000 baht on the pond and maybe the same for fish.

There seems to be a lot of interest in gardening and pets recently, so I will throw out my question.

I am wanting to build a fish pond in my garden under a banana tree, is this ok?

I want to make it about 6 square metres.

Can anyone offer ideas on the best way to do this. I want to do it for my daughters birthday, so want to do it myself. What I am thinking of is digging the hole and lining it with cement. Anyone got experience of pumps etc. I don't want to spend more than 5,000 baht on the pond and maybe the same for fish.

In outdoor under the sun, the pond water will turn very green with planktons in a matter of days, which is good for the health of the fish (unless it turns too green like green tea color) but they become hardly visible unless they are close to the surface. I have tried algae treatment sold here but with the shines in Thailand it didn't do much any good. I think in outdoor, it's impossible to keep the pond water clear in Thailand unless of course you pour a lot of chlorine or some other chemicals which aren't usually good for the fish.

Depending on the number of fish, you might need pumps and pond filter (some of them comes with fountaion) and I've seen those supplies sold at a shop called White Crane in Sunday Plaza, the big fish market next to JJ weekend market, opposite children's museum, Bangkok. As far as I remember pond filters sold there are from German Eheim and the cheapest one would cost around B5,000 or more.

You might also need a pump to drain pond water or else build the pond where it's easy to syphon water out.