Tourist Visa

Hello. I'm an American here in Thailand. Unfort I neglected to obtain a 60 day tourist visa before I entered the country 2.5 wks ago. I plan on staying in Thailand for roughly another 1-2 months. I want to spend about 3-4 wks of that in Chiang Mai taking some classes at Institute of Thai Massage. I also plan on traveling over to Cambodia and Vietnam, and possible Laos.

My question is regarding my travel visa. According to the books, I have 30 days in Thailand, and then can have another 7 if I leave and return. Most things I have found online say this isn't really true. What is my best course of action, as I am new to this? Should I stay here until just before 30 days is up, go across a border and come back? Does it make a difference if I fly back vs train or bus? Does it make a difference which border is use? Is it possible to obtain a 60 day tourist visa once I am here?

If anyone is out there with some answers please let me know.

Thanks for the time and help, Colin

You can leave and return. You will get 30 days if flying back and 15 days by other means.

You can get a 60 day Tourist Visa at a Thai Consulate in a neighboring country. They are free of charge at the moment.

The 60 days can be extended for a further 30 days at Immigration for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

If needed Vientienne in Laos will issue a double entry Tourist Visa.

What you do will depend on your travel plans out of Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Colin,

If you were to leave Thailand and re-enter through a land border you will only receive 15 days. If you leave Thailand and re-enter by plane you will receive a 30 day transit visa. Tourist visas can only be obtained from a Thai embassy or consulate outside of Thailand. You will be able to obtain a 60 day tourist visa from outside of Thailand and this can be extended for an additional 30 days at immigration within Thailand.

Best regards,

Legal Advisor

Sunbelt Asia Co. Ltd

www.sunbeltasia.com

[email protected]