No one injured after THAI Boeing emergency landing

webfact

No one injured after THAI engine ignites

By The Nation

BANGKOK -- Chiang Maibound Thai Airways Boeing made an emergency landing yesterday evening at Suvarnabhumi Airport after an engine caught fire. No injuries were reported.

With 330 passengers on board, the Boeing 747400 flew back to the airport after taking off at 5.15 pm for 20 minutes, when an engine caught fire. TG116 took off again at 6.08 pm with a new aircraft.

Transport Minister Sopon Saram said a Department of Civil Aviation investigation would soon reveal the cause of the fire.

The unidentified pilots of the flight have been praised by the Thai Airways management for performing their duties to the high standard, said Amphon Kittiamphon, the chairman of the THAI's board of directors, who quoted Thai Airways DD Piyasawas Amranant as saying.

Amphon said the aircraft had undergone regular maintenance and was inspected thoroughly before the takeoff.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Wow didn't know about that, had a friend arrive on the flight before that one.

So this is a separate incident to the one reported by a TV member a couple of days ago, that makes two (same plane??)

Also why were flights to MHS cancelled yesterday - was that smoke? They couldn't give a reason - that was also TG

Seems Thai are having particular problems on the BKK Chaing Mai route.

Here's a link to one of TV's own members topic on a flight there only last Wednesday. Remarkably similar.

Two major engine problems in two days?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/747-Engine-F...Fl-t335819.html

Same aircraft/same engine possibly ???.....problem last Wed, not fixed properly and resulted fire on 6th Feb...things like this generally happen in isolation/out the blue.

Here's a link to one of TV's own members topic on a flight there only last Wednesday. Remarkably similar.

An hour later the passengers in flight, in another aircraft. Amazing. In the States, that would be unheard of

I am just curious why they use a 747 for a short domestic flight ?

Is there that much demand for travel between BKK and Chiang Mai ?

Think they fill it up with frieght.

The early morning flight to C M is normally a 747 as well and the am flight to Bangkok is normally full people connecting to international flights?

Think they fill it up with frieght.

The early morning flight to C M is normally a 747 as well and the am flight to Bangkok is normally full people connecting to international flights?

Freight? Surely they would truck it up to CM from BKK, unless of course LinPing needs the Nation newspaper with his/ her bamboo in the morning.

They have scheduled 747s on the route, but often do equipment swaps to larget planes on busy days or flights that are at capacity. Much better than just saying they're full. Occasionally they even add an extra, unscheduled 747 flights (4 number flight #) on busy periods.

Every day I see the big birds circling catching the updrafts they weight about 1.5 kilos they are in direct conflict with out going flights. They are some breed of crane and are loved by a few and hated by all pilots. They can bring down the top of the line Boeing, Airbus or other commercial aircraft.

An hour later the passengers in flight, in another aircraft. Amazing. In the States, that would be unheard of

Totally incorrect-especially when it's in the home base of a carrier.Carriers always have spare acft of most types just for this "occasion".Stick to something you're familiar with.

I am a retired airline employee w/32 years experience.

I took a flight from BKK to Chiang Mai the day before the incident (Last Wednesday) in the afternoon. Trust me they completely need the 747. The flight was completely packed.

Always, it's driven by demand. A 747-400 leaves every hour, on the hour, from Tokyo to Sapporo (a roughly similar-distance domestic flight). All flights are packed to the max with much smaller than normal airline seats, meaning they can pack 500+ passengers into it.

I stayed in some accommodation for several weeks along with a couple of ex-commercial pilots, who were training foreign pilots.

Some of the stories they told , about things that happen , but you dont get to hear about, are quite alarming, but all in a days work to them

Singapore Airlines fly 777's between Singapore and KL, which is a much shorter flight.

They used to use 747's