38 Security Centres Set Up To Maintain Peace In Thailand

webfact

38 centres set up to maintain peace in country

BANGKOK: -- (TNA) -- Frequent movements by protesters have prompted the government to establish 38 centres nationwide to maintain peace and order in the country, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Sunday.

The centres, set up in the North and Northeastern regions, have been established in risk-prone areas where violence could take place, he said.

Responding to reports that the anti-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) - the Red Shirts- is using community radio stations to agitate the rural poor to come out and cause trouble, Mr Abhisit said concerned government agencies would monitor the stations.

"It remains unnecessary to declare the national security law unless the situation has turned violent and [if implemented] it will be implemented only in certain areas so that the public won't be affected," Mr Abhisit said.

His comments were made as the UDD, are expected to hold rallies ahead of a scheduled February 26 court verdict as to whether the Bt76.6 billion in frozen assets were accumulated illegally by fugitive, ousted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The UDD activists are staunch supporters of Mr Thaksin, ousted in a bloodless coup in September 2006. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-02-08

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reds have 2 goals after Chinese New Year: paralyse Bangkok as per Songkran last year to force the government to dissolve Parliament and secondly to provoke the military to use violence and/ or have a coup.

The government are wise to be prepared.

The reds have 2 goals after Chinese New Year: paralyse Bangkok as per Songkran last year to force the government to dissolve Parliament and secondly to provoke the military to use violence and/ or have a coup.

The government are wise to be prepared.

Agreed.

I'm confident Gen Prem has the pulse of matters well in hand.

Well, that is one way to bring about 'national Reconciliation"

Set up so-called control centers against the electoral majority.

This Abhisit/Suthep trumpetting of violence potential is not about "violence". It is all about demonizing the Democracy Movement of which they are not a part. Implying possible violence suggests their might be violence, right......Political point made and demonization achieved for those unfamiliar or not politically astute enough to see through this facade. Especially when their English language Media will fall right in line and affirm their political comfort level

I can just hear all the diatribes my defense of the "Red Shirt Democracy Movement" will incite. But isn't that what makes a political discussion board interesting. Everyone trumpetting for one side of this political divide, with the only variation being their individual creativity in doing so is boring.....Right?

All this stuff about violence that Abhisit/Suthep propagate, is so incongruous with reality. It is pure politics.

Reality is the nature of these people who apparently need "control Centres". When Farang's attend the events of this Democracy Movement. one is struck by the adulation they receive. It is a real ego boost for Farangs. There is slapping on the back, vigorous hand-shakes, smiles a mile wide, etc. I am not sure why this is so. I can only speculate that these people appreciate the affirmation of their cause by farangs who come from traditional Democracies. Another factoid I dont understand, is that 80% of this movement is made up of women.

Then I read all this political posturing about violence from the Abhisit/Suthep side of the political divide, and it all seems so fabricated, so purely political. I can just imagine scenes of all these women rising up in a paroxysms of Violence .

Also, focussing on the Norh and NE....what a way to build political support where there is none. What about those huge Bangkok numbers that swell Red Shirt Democracy Movement rallies of 100,000 and more...in fact doubling them.

Isn't there a better way?

Allright guys, lets hear it about Songkran...the only hook you can hang your hat on, albeit a hook that was defined for you by the domestic media. That paragon of balanced political reportage.

So, does that stir the pot a little?

(47 rai)

Edited by poleax

They actually mean that the system in North Korea works! And the people illegally in power who wants to keep power till they have milked the country till the last baht want to stay there. Nothing new under the sun in a country where half the population informs on the other half. Thailand is after all not a democracy but a semi police state.

So are the UDD protest is to bring back democracy or to save Taksin’s money. What the democracy has to do with Mr. T finances. Yeah I am playing it stupid. their politics is all about money

All politics are about money in Thailand. There never was any democracy, and I doubt there will be unless there's a major shake-up. Taksin is a crook, but so are most of those in power in this country. Thailand is paying the price for staying in the 19th century far too long. I'm afraid the figures on that price-tag will increase dramatically the next few years.

I find this a bit disturbing Control centres sounds like something Hitler set up in the 1940's. Next all Red shirts will be asked to wear an insignia on there shoulder.

That’s a great idea and next to there name they can stamp if the have received there 500THB. We are going to get to work on this ASAP it totally beats the ear tags I was working on. The Warrior will be so proud that all his loyal “Buffalos” can be easily tracked.

Nothing will ever change until the culture changes and all Thais Red, Blue, Pink, Yellow will fight this.

Responding to reports that the anti-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) - the Red Shirts- is using community radio stations to agitate the rural poor to come out and cause trouble

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-02-08

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Diehard Thaksin loyalist paints rural Thailand red

Kwanchai Praipana's thousands of followers can't see him as he opens his daily radio show with anti-government diatribes, but it hasn't stopped him dressing for the role.

Clad top-to-toe in red, down to the ruby in his ring, there is no mistaking his leanings in Thailand's colour-coded politics, even before he opens his mouth to address listeners across the rural northeastern region of Isan.

"We will keep on breathing until Prime Minister Thaksin comes back," Kwanchai announces from the small studio dotted with signed pictures of billionaire former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a coup in 2006.

[snip] Please do not post full text articles from AFP. Thanks

Agence France-Presse

2010-02-08

http://etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.ph...e_rss=WORLD_eng

Edited by george

What about those huge Bangkok numbers that swell Red Shirt Democracy Movement rallies of 100,000 and more...in fact doubling them.

:):D

But given that the largest demonstration in recent months was little more than 30,000-strong, it remains to be seen if the Red Shirts - however popular locally - have the momentum to overturn national rule.

Agence France-Presse

2010-02-08

The government should distribute the Thaksin Asset to the poor people of the North East so it will keep peace and make everyone happy :)

This is not a bad idea. Ask Mr. T if he loves his people so much to give all the funds held by the courts to be used to help the rural people. Make schools and hospitals use the money truly to help the people who he took it from. If Mr. T said yes to this I would forgive him on all accounts. Now I would never forget what he has done and the lives lost. But we could all move on and save what is left of our nation.

The dictatorship Prem and baby Abi are implementing is serious for anyone. This "red" story is only a pretext, Prem, the army and the Dems want to abolish freedom and democracy. This is NOT a surprise, they promised that in 2008, they are just the civilized face of the Yellow Devils.

oops, your paranoia is showing

Well, that is one way to bring about 'national Reconciliation"

Set up so-called control centers against the electoral majority.

This Abhisit/Suthep trumpetting of violence potential is not about "violence". It is all about demonizing the Democracy Movement of which they are not a part. Implying possible violence suggests their might be violence, right......Political point made and demonization achieved for those unfamiliar or not politically astute enough to see through this facade. Especially when their English language Media will fall right in line and affirm their political comfort level

I can just hear all the diatribes my defense of the "Red Shirt Democracy Movement" will incite. But isn't that what makes a political discussion board interesting. Everyone trumpetting for one side of this political divide, with the only variation being their individual creativity in doing so is boring.....Right?

All this stuff about violence that Abhisit/Suthep propagate, is so incongruous with reality. It is pure politics.

Reality is the nature of these people who apparently need "control Centres". When Farang's attend the events of this Democracy Movement. one is struck by the adulation they receive. It is a real ego boost for Farangs. There is slapping on the back, vigorous hand-shakes, smiles a mile wide, etc. I am not sure why this is so. I can only speculate that these people appreciate the affirmation of their cause by farangs who come from traditional Democracies. Another factoid I dont understand, is that 80% of this movement is made up of women.

Then I read all this political posturing about violence from the Abhisit/Suthep side of the political divide, and it all seems so fabricated, so purely political. I can just imagine scenes of all these women rising up in a paroxysms of Violence .

Also, focussing on the Norh and NE....what a way to build political support where there is none. What about those huge Bangkok numbers that swell Red Shirt Democracy Movement rallies of 100,000 and more...in fact doubling them.

Isn't there a better way?

Allright guys, lets hear it about Songkran...the only hook you can hang your hat on, albeit a hook that was defined for you by the domestic media. That paragon of balanced political reportage.

So, does that stir the pot a little?

(47 rai)

Another poster said "... beginning of civil war?" -- personally, I think it's more like "forestall/prevent civil war".

The BKK Songkran clashes are a fact, as well as most of its participants having been shuttled there from the North-East, with a daily income for acting "red". Not too many BKKians in that crowd...

"Against the electoral majority" -- you mean: against the people who sold votes plus were enticed with the help of a massive populist marketing machine of a guy with more money, greed & brains than "the other side"?

The core problem is that lots of (unfortunately) badly educated people in the North-East, with a cleverly impressed "view of the situation", want to re-instate a fugitive criminal. Re criminal: that's not yellow lore; that's what the courts say. All that they get to see is that the "pujay ban" received x amount of Baht from Mr. Taksin (actually: not from his good-heart stash of cash, but from taxpayer's money...), which might and might not have trickled down to them. So Mr. T. must be the good guy, and all others are just rich swindlers trying to get their mittens on Mr. T.'s cash -- right?

When farangs attend red rallies, I'm sure that there's a lot of back slapping. After all, it's viewed as a gesture of sympathy for their cause. And farangs do have a high standing with the country folks, sometimes undeservedly so...

Putting myself in a rice farmer's shoes (and putting on the red goggles), the reds are doing the right thing, and they want a functioning democracy with an elected government. Taking off the red goggles, the term "elected" turns sour in view of the marketing machine that is being let loose on them -- it's a bit like voting for Philip Morris, because they make "Light" cigarettes that won't kill you... It is my personal view that this country isn't quite there yet fo face vote by electoral majority, before better education hasn't set in!

Anyone?

So are the UDD protest is to bring back democracy or to save Taksin's money. What the democracy has to do with Mr. T finances. Yeah I am playing it stupid. their politics is all about money

All politics are about money in Thailand. There never was any democracy, and I doubt there will be unless there's a major shake-up. Taksin is a crook, but so are most of those in power in this country. Thailand is paying the price for staying in the 19th century far too long. I'm afraid the figures on that price-tag will increase dramatically the next few years.

not like true democracy in the west eh, no financial interest there at all.

Guess we are going to witness a big propaganda/PR push by the red side as they try to create pressure or derail the asset seizure case. One problem they face is convincing anyone that their moves now are anythiong but about one persons money. PRwise their timing is bad

The money being the only issue right now and the amount being big means it will get very hot.