Chula Uni / Union / Prolanguage / Aua

Rayong

Hi All

I little bit of backgrounds on me. I spent about 6 years in Thailand, am married to a local and can speak Thai to a low intermediate level. Basically, I can converse in Thai and could quite easily get by without having to speak English in Thailand.However, I can't read or write at all.

I've been out the the country (with my Thai Mrs) for about three years and will be coming back shortly. I have always fancied spending a year studying Thai full time and doing perhaps a little part time work.

I'm in a financial position where I can do that now but I have no real idea where to study ( I never once opened a book or put a foot in a Thai language classroom whilst living there. My Thai is all naturally aquired).

Does anyone have any experience of the Union / Prolanguage / Chula uni or AUA language programs? What did you think of the program - any thoughts? Particularly on Chula's program.

Cheers

Mark

I completed the year program at Chula... I think something like 25 - 30 started the program and only 2 of us ended up completing it. It is tough, but you will learn a lot, a ###### of a lot in fact. I thought that my Thai was pretty good before I started the program. I could read and write a bit and could speak farily well. But after finishing it I realised I didn't know s*#t when I started. Now I have no problems reading newspapers, listening to the news or watching thai movies. The teachers at Chula are very bias towards Japanese students and they dont like students arguing with them. They will also try there hardest to kick out students with shady backgrounds, or students they just dont like. As long as you can put up with that then you will learn a lot. cost is 25,000 per level - 9 levels in total (yes the most expensive of them all by a long shot)

I am happy I did it at Chula but wouldnt do it again! :o

I completed the year program at Chula...  I think something like 25 - 30 started the program and only 2 of us ended up completing it.  It is tough, but you will learn a lot, a ###### of a lot in fact.  I thought that my Thai was pretty good before I started the program.  I could read and write a bit and could speak farily well.  But after finishing it I realised I didn't know s*#t when I started. Now I have no problems reading newspapers, listening to the news or watching thai movies. The teachers at Chula are very bias towards Japanese students and they dont like students arguing with them. They will also try there hardest to kick out students with shady backgrounds, or students they just dont like.  As long as you can put up with that then you will learn a lot. cost is 25,000 per level - 9 levels in total (yes the most expensive of them all by a long shot)

I am happy I did it at Chula but wouldnt do it again!  :o

Hi

Thanks for the info on Chula, it's interesting.I agreewith your point about overestimating current language skills!

How did the Thai teachers acts towards the Japanese and farangs?> What's the score there?

Do you think that the extra cash spent at Chula as opposed to say, Union, is worth it?

Cheers

Thanks for the info on Chula, it's interesting.I agreewith your point about overestimating current language skills!

How did the Thai teachers acts towards the Japanese and farangs?> What's the score there?

Do you think that the extra cash spent at Chula as opposed to say, Union, is worth it?

---->

I don't know what the story is with the teachers at Chula.. I think they like the Japanese style of student.. sit in the corner and never ask any questions or never question the teachers ability or knowledge of "general affairs" or topics which the teachers obviously don't have any idea on!

If you are from the States then I would forget about it and not enroll at Chula.. they are extremely anti-amercian there.. everything the States does or has done is wrong in their opinion.. you know the story.. educated but narrow minded Thai's..

I am not sure about Union or the others, as I have never studied there.. however, I have heard from people who have studied at other places that Chula is by far the best... if you can afford it and will stay in Thailand for a while then it is worth it.... that is if you can put up with the hassles....

:o

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info on Chula, it's interesting.I agreewith your point about overestimating  current language skills!

---->

I don't know what the story is with the teachers at Chula.. I think they like the Japanese style of student.. sit in the corner and never ask any questions or never question the teachers ability or knowledge of "general affairs" or topics which the teachers obviously don't have any idea on!

If you are from the States then I would forget about it and not enroll at Chula.. they are extremely anti-amercian there.. everything the States does or has done is wrong in their opinion.. you know the story..  educated but narrow minded Thai's..

I am not sure about Union or the others, as I have never studied there.. however, I have heard from people who have studied at other places that Chula is by far the best... if you can afford it and will stay in Thailand for a while then it is worth it.... that is if you can put up with the hassles....

:o

Has anyone got any opinion on Union?!?!?!

Hi,

I'm in Thailand for the purpose of completing the 2nd year of my Bachelor of Arts (Australian) degree which contains a Thai Language major. My university back home has an agreement with Chula. For this reason we were sent to complete their intensive Thai program up to intermediate 3. This would provided 1 year's worth of credit with towards my degree in Australia.

In Australia myself along with another student successfully completed a Thai language course in Australia during the summer semester which provided qualification for us to begin studying Basic 2 level at Chula.

Upon beginning at Chula all the other students had completed Basic 1 already. They all had a far greater Thai vocab then us. We struggled immensely because of this and the teachers hardly took this into consideration.

They seemed to take great pleasure out of asking us questions which they knew we couldnt understand. Basically tryed to embarass us and portray us as being inferior to all the other students.

WE both managed to scrape a pass in the Basic 2 exam due to the fact that we learned to read and write in Australia and the other students had to learn this during the Basic 2 course.

However we have both failed basic 3 and are stuck in no mans land. A week before the final exam i learned that my close mate was murdered in Fiji and was busy making arrangements to fly back home for the funeral. My mind was not really on the exam. I'm not saying this is the reason i failed but it did contribute. In normal circumstance I probably would have failed anyway.

After returning to Bangkok a week later with the knowledge that we had both failed we contacted Chula about any alternative means of study but they simply responded with "chuay mai dai"

The teachers are also very racist, especially towards Chinese and Indians and never attempted to hide this. Instead they wouldnt constantly joke about their cultures even though one of the students in our class is in fact Chinese. They would often ask him politically charged question relating to China which he felt very uncomfortable about answering.

Now our university back home is madly trying to make arrangements to find a place for us to complete out Thai majors. I wouldnt recommend they send any more students to Chula thats for sure. Right now we dont know where our study future lies.

I do agree with everything that TRT has mentioned and would vouch that I have learned a ###### of a lot at Chula, however it is a far from pleasant learning environment.

Hi,

I'm in Thailand for the purpose of completing the 2nd year of my Bachelor of Arts (Australian) degree which contains a Thai Language major. My university back home has an agreement with Chula. For this reason we were sent to complete their intensive Thai program up to intermediate 3. This would provided 1 year's worth of credit with towards my degree in Australia.

In Australia myself along with another student successfully completed a Thai language course in Australia during the summer semester which provided qualification for us to begin studying Basic 2 level at Chula.

Upon beginning at Chula all the other students had completed Basic 1 already. They all had a far greater Thai vocab then us. We struggled immensely because of this and the teachers hardly took this into consideration.

They seemed to take great pleasure out of asking us questions which they knew we couldnt understand. Basically tryed to embarass us and portray us as being inferior to all the other students.

WE both managed to scrape a pass in the Basic 2 exam due to the fact that we learned to read and write in Australia and the other students had to learn this during the Basic 2 course.

However we have both failed basic 3 and are stuck in no mans land. A week before the final exam i learned that my close mate was murdered in Fiji and was busy making arrangements to fly back home for the funeral. My mind was not really on the exam. I'm not saying this is the reason i failed but it did contribute. In normal circumstance I probably would have failed anyway.

After returning to Bangkok a week later with the knowledge that we had both failed we contacted Chula about any alternative means of study but they simply responded with "chuay mai dai"

The teachers are also very racist, especially towards Chinese and Indians and never attempted to hide this. Instead they wouldnt constantly joke about their cultures even though one of the students in our class is in fact Chinese. They would often ask him politically charged question relating to China which he felt very uncomfortable about answering.

Now our university back home is madly trying to make arrangements to find a place for us to complete out Thai majors.  I wouldnt recommend they send any more students to Chula thats for sure. Right now we dont know where our study future lies.

I do agree with everything that TRT has mentioned and would vouch that I have learned a ###### of a lot at Chula, however it is a far from pleasant learning environment.

yes I think that the teachers were Nazis in their past lives..

One of my good friends failed after basic 3 then studied at AUA then retook the test for basic 3.. he failed by 2% after the second attempt and all they said was the same "chuay mai dai"..... I was quite pissed off as he studied a lot more than I did and took it a lot more seriously than me..

I think that they need to learn that education is for all.. not necessarily those who excel, but for all who want to learn.. at the end of the day we all die and life should be about personal fulfilment.. not if you achieved an A+ on the exam or not..

Hi,

Now our university back home is madly trying to make arrangements to find a place for us to complete out Thai majors.  I wouldnt recommend they send any more students to Chula thats for sure. Right now we dont know where our study future lies.

yes I think that the teachers were Nazis in their past lives..

One of my good friends failed after basic 3 then studied at AUA then retook the test for basic 3.. he failed by 2% after the second attempt and all they said was the same "chuay mai dai"..... I was quite pissed off as he studied a lot more than I did and took it a lot more seriously than me..

I think that they need to learn that education is for all.. not necessarily those who excel, but for all who want to learn.. at the end of the day we all die and life should be about personal fulfilment.. not if you achieved an A+ on the exam or not..

So, what was AUA like in comparison? Would be interested to hear some views comparing the two as I've consider the year out study option

So, what was AUA like in comparison? Would be interested to hear some views comparing the two as I've consider the year out study option

AUA cant compare.. but you get what you pay for I guess..

Chula is a properly structured full on course..... just run by Nazis..

AUA cant compare.. but you get what you pay for I guess..

Chula is a properly structured full on course..... just run by Nazis..

There are better schools in Bangkok than AUA, even if you dont go to a university. AUA Chiang Mai is good though.

Hi,

Griffith also has the same agreement for Thai language with ChiangMai University. Give CU a go. It is either Arts or Education faculties. Good luck.

The intensive Thai programme is run by the faculty of Arts. The office is located on the ground floor in the old Thai style building (easier to get to from Henry Dunant road)..

I am an undergrad student there, not quite sure if they are racists because I have only been in classes with Thai students. But they all seem to think that they are teaching in the best Arts faculty in Thailand, so they expect every student to be bright and knowledgable in everything. That's why some lessons could go pretty fast and it's your own responsibility to keep up with the rest of the class

Can't wait to get out of here... but 3 more years to go :o

The best, The #1 school in the country but nazis??  :o

Are all teachers racist or did you just come across one or two?

There were 4 teachers all together and they all share the same attitude. Some are more open about it than others but they've all proved to share the same attitude on numerous occasions.

Hi,

Griffith also has the same agreement for Thai language with ChiangMai University. Give CU a go. It is either Arts or Education faculties. Good luck.

You don't like this idea Lambous ?

I love the idea but unfortunately their classes are full. Griffith are endeavouring to find an alternative. How did you know about Griffith's agreement with Chaingmai Uni? Are you a former student?

I love the idea but unfortunately their classes are full. Griffith are endeavouring to find an alternative. How did you know about Griffith's agreement with Chaingmai Uni? Are you a former student?

A clever bastard I am. Chula and Griffith grad. Present yourself at Chiang Mai, make a direct approach,and I reckon you'll be fine. Or ask Sumalee :o Good luck.

• 1 month later...

This is a GREAT post and gave me a lot of useful information.

I recently graduated with my Bachelor's in the US and came to Thailand to be with my fiancee, who is actually a Chinese national and not Thai...in any case, I expect I will want to stay here for at least two years, which is the time she will finish her masters at ABAC.

Afterwards we'll be heading back to the states and I'll give it a go at International Law for my masters, however since I'm here I'd like to add another Asian language other than Putonghua and study Thai.

A lot of you have talked about various language schools here, some of which I've heard of in the Bangkok Post and others I haven't. Can you tell me, if I wished to study at say, Chula, AUA, Union, or AAA would they be able to supply their students with student visas to allow us to remain here to study? I'm not so much interested in employment as I am to utilize my time here efficiently and get at least a basic understanding of Thai under my belt. It seems Thai immigration policies are really damned difficult :o, and this is something I'd like to figure out before I have to make a Visa run to Cambodia for a lousy thirty days.

I'd really appreciate anyone's help, and perhaps I'll be able to meet some of you at these schools! I've only been here a week and I'm only familiar with some of the Chinese students...haven't met any westerners yet.

Thanks for your help guys,

Tim

This is a GREAT post and gave me a lot of useful information.

I recently graduated with my Bachelor's in the US and came to Thailand to be with my fiancee, who is actually a Chinese national and not Thai...in any case, I expect I will want to stay here for at least two years, which is the time she will finish her masters at ABAC.

Afterwards we'll be heading back to the states and I'll give it a go at International Law for my masters, however since I'm here I'd like to add another Asian language other than Putonghua and study Thai.

A lot of you have talked about various language schools here, some of which I've heard of in the Bangkok Post and others I haven't. Can you tell me, if I wished to study at say, Chula, AUA, Union, or AAA would they be able to supply their students with student visas to allow us to remain here to study? I'm not so much interested in employment as I am to utilize my time here efficiently and get at least a basic understanding of Thai under my belt. It seems Thai immigration policies are really damned difficult  :o, and this is something I'd like to figure out before I have to make a Visa run to Cambodia for a lousy thirty days.

I'd really appreciate anyone's help, and perhaps I'll be able to meet some of you at these schools! I've only been here a week and I'm only familiar with some of the Chinese students...haven't met any westerners yet.

Thanks for your help guys,

Tim

I know certainly in the case of AUA, they will support a student visa application if you are studying full time. You would have to apply outside of Thailand for the visa though. I'm sure the other institutions would be able to give you supporting documents for a student visa application

• 2 years later...
Afternoon Gents

Just pushing this thread to the top again to see if there are any new experiences out there to be added.

Cheers

Spent some time at AUA Rachadamri. Its a fun place to learn and great place to meet friends. On the other hand, learning thai there is a very slow process. Their philosophy is that you should the language as a child does, using immersion to some extent but not allowing you to speak thai for the first 4 or 5 levels. Each level requires 200 hours of study(appx 1.5-2 months), consequently, you can spend a 1000 hours of study without being allowed to speak even a "Sawatdii khap". Seriously, I was yelled at in class by a teacher for doing so.

At the same time, if you have 2 or 3 years to burn to learn the language properly, I've heard that many graduates do learn to speak thai with the proper accent. I don't know since i switched to a different program. (Interestingly, I still have friends I originally met at AUA.)

Afternoon Gents

Just pushing this thread to the top again to see if there are any new experiences out there to be added.

Cheers

Spent some time at AUA Rachadamri. Its a fun place to learn and great place to meet friends. On the other hand, learning thai there is a very slow process. Their philosophy is that you should the language as a child does, using immersion to some extent but not allowing you to speak thai for the first 4 or 5 levels. Each level requires 200 hours of study(appx 1.5-2 months), consequently, you can spend a 1000 hours of study without being allowed to speak even a "Sawatdii khap". Seriously, I was yelled at in class by a teacher for doing so.

At the same time, if you have 2 or 3 years to burn to learn the language properly, I've heard that many graduates do learn to speak thai with the proper accent. I don't know since i switched to a different program. (Interestingly, I still have friends I originally met at AUA.)

Yeh, Ive heard that. Its a great money spinning but I'd be dribbling after a year of listening.

I reckon the Chula course looks like a great way to spend a year.

Anyone out there done that course?

I've jumped around to a few schools in my time here. Nisa Thai, Union, Unity and a couple other intensive schools all use basically the same text books. (Sometimes they give you handouts instead of the text because they don't like students knowing the lesson in advance.) Its a thai thing---they tend to indiscriminately copy each other. A thai teacher friend of mine said that Union was the first school, and eventually the teachers that left formed other schools, although using basically the same program/text.

The first month you can get away with speaking some English although the material goes very fast. Expect to spend a 3-4 hours a day in class 5x a week for a month, as well as a couple hours a day reviewing the material. If you don't study, or if you have a bad memory, you will get totally lost in a few days, since the teachers immediately use the materials very liberally from the day after it is taught. The 2nd month and on is immersion based, with little if no English allowed. Then it gets hard and very intensive in month 3, where writing is taught. You learn all the consonants and vowels in one month, then get a dictation and written test for proficiency to progress. If you don't pass, you have to repeat the course again--no remediation. By this time, about the only ones left in the class are Japanese and Koreans, with a smattering of other ethnicities. Anyhow, you get the idea.

From month 4 and on, you are taught increasingly more difficult passages and are tested on dictation skills daily. If you like to study 3-4 hours a day outside of class, its okay. The basic program is 6 months, followed by modules in specific areas of study. They eventually prepare you for the prathom 6 government test, which shows grade 6 proficiency in understanding, reading and writing skills. Fun, fun, fun,....

Edited by mauiguy90