Dailyimage

The Vulcan

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This cute boy around Ratchaprasong perfectly expresses the current mood I can feel among the people participating in the protests. Innocent children don't lie.

Taken on 22 April, 5.40 pm; Nikon D300, Nikkor 17-55 2,8 at 55mm, f/2.8, 1/800s; iso800

More photos like this on my photostream from my neighborhood: The Ratchaprasong Resort

Your photos are really very good. But if you see photography as an art, then you must know that different people interpret that art in different ways.

Your photos and commentary have one point of view. And that's fine, provided that you understand that that is only one point of view.

There are many other photos of the red shirts that show a very different "picture" than yours. That is another point of view.

It is only a collage of those points of view that really provide a base from which to judge a situation...and even then the judgments will vary.

And that is the value of photography.

Your photos are really very good. But if you see photography as an art, then you must know that different people interpret that art in different ways.

Your photos and commentary have one point of view. And that's fine, provided that you understand that that is only one point of view.

There are many other photos of the red shirts that show a very different "picture" than yours. That is another point of view.

It is only a collage of those points of view that really provide a base from which to judge a situation...and even then the judgments will vary.

Thanks, phetaroi.

I certainly would never claim that my photos have anything to do with art. I just capture what I see when I go out into my neighborhood. My neighborhood is under siege - that's an extraordinary situation and I just want to keep the images of what I see when I leave my apartment. If I can capture the mood of the people that I encounter then I'm satisfied - the little boy is just a good example for that: I could feel a certain anxiety, confusion, tiredness and sorrow with many people down there the other day and I think with that little boy I was able to capture that mood. That's just what I saw - no intent here to give any particular political message, but rather some sort of eye witness report.

I have got a generally neutral and friendly attitude when I go into my neighborhood. I have got to live with my new neighbors otherwise I would have to lock myself in. If I am approached by friendly people I treat them friendly no matter what what color they are. I am not looking for a political message here and I'm not going into the hard core areas with barricades nor am I actively looking for scenes with a particular message. I just capture what I see when I leave my appartment and go for a walk and for some shopping in my neighborhood. I am not wearing red but everyone is giving me a friendly welcome and many actively want to pose for the camera - why not do them the favor and show these images? I capture what I see here - if there is a political message on the picture then it is what unfolds just in front of me. If I actively wanted to compose a political message from any point of view there would be thousands of opportunities around to capture much stronger images.

The nice thing is that everyone who has got a strongly biased political point of view can interpret many things into these photos - no matter from what side he would be coming from. I leave these kind of interpretations up to the observer.

<Edit: By the way I don't get why you are saying that my photos AND commentary show one point of view. My statement that the little boy expressed the mood that I could feel down there and innocent children don't lie is a statement of facts and not a point of view.>

Edited by TallForeigner

Thanks, phetaroi.

I certainly would never claim that my photos have anything to do with art. I just capture what I see when I go out into my neighborhood.

My neighborhood is under siege - that's an extraordinary situation and I just want to keep the images of what I see when I leave my apartment. If I can capture the mood of the people that I encounter then I'm satisfied - the little boy is just a good example for that: I could feel a certain anxiety, confusion, tiredness and sorrow with many people down there the other day and I think with that little boy I was able to capture that mood. That's just what I saw - no intent here to give any particular political message, but rather some sort of eye witness report.

I have got a generally neutral and friendly attitude when I go into my neighborhood. I have got to live with my new neighbors otherwise I would have to lock myself in. If I am approached by friendly people I treat them friendly no matter what what color they are. I am not looking for a political message here and I'm not going into the hard core areas with barricades nor am I actively looking for scenes with a particular message. I just capture what I see when I leave my appartment and go for a walk and for some shopping in my neighborhood. I am not wearing red but everyone is giving me a friendly welcome and many actively want to pose for the camera - why not do them the favor and show these images? I capture what I see here - if there is a political message on the picture then it is what unfolds just in front of me. If I actively wanted to compose a political message from any point of view there would be thousands of opportunities around to capture much stronger images.

The nice thing is that everyone who has got a strongly biased political point of view can interpret many things into these photos - no matter from what side he would be coming from. I leave these kind of interpretations up to the observer.

<Edit: By the way I don't get why you are saying that my photos AND commentary show one point of view. My statement that the little boy expressed the mood that I could feel down there and innocent children don't lie is a statement of facts and not a point of view.>

below photograph taken yesterday afteroon in Marseille France with a Sony Cyber-shot 13.6 mega pixels

post-77511-1272085268_thumb.jpg

Thanks, phetaroi.

I certainly would never claim that my photos have anything to do with art. I just capture what I see when I go out into my neighborhood. My neighborhood is under siege - that's an extraordinary situation and I just want to keep the images of what I see when I leave my apartment. If I can capture the mood of the people that I encounter then I'm satisfied - the little boy is just a good example for that: I could feel a certain anxiety, confusion, tiredness and sorrow with many people down there the other day and I think with that little boy I was able to capture that mood. That's just what I saw - no intent here to give any particular political message, but rather some sort of eye witness report.

I think you're taking my comments as a criticism, rather than a discussion. To begin with, as I said before, you're quite a good photographer. Not picture-taker, but a photographer.

I haven't looked at all of your photos, but the ones I've had are mostly of friendly smiling people. And, I understand that's real. I've pretty much stayed away from the demonstrations. But one day when they were down Sukhumvit I watched very close up for about an hour...didn't have my camera with me. At that point I saw angry people, screaming over PA systems, fists raised in the air, in one case angry with spittle flying out of his mouth, etc. A very different picture. And, it is that "picture" that is often seen in the photos that hit the international news broadcasts and publications. That's real, too, but a different. And that's really what photo journalism is all about, in a sense, that's what you're doing.

Let me give you another example. I've seen photo essays along the lines of "the beauty of Bangkok". I've seen photo essays along the lines of "the dark side of Bangkok". And I've seen photo essays with a "balanced view of Bangkok". They're all real, and much of it depends on how the photographer sees life, and how the view interprets what he or she sees.

The photo of the little boy...great photo. But I don't really know what's in his head. I could interpret it as "the poor child is overwhelmed with the adult political situation" or "the poor child has a toothache" or "the poor child doesn't know where to go to pee". The way in which I interpret the photo doesn't make it a good photo or a bad photo. It's still a great photo.

I'm not sure how long you've been reading the TV dot com forums, but if you have for very long -- and more so in other sub-forums -- you'll see the people who are living here and just love Thailand and everything in it and are often apologists for Thailand. And you'll see people who appear to be cynical about everything in Thailand. And you'll see people who are up about some things and down about others. They're all living in Thailand, yet they all see it differently...they all have their point of view.

Again, your photography is great. And, whether you intend it or not, it has a point of view. And that's photo journalism. If a photo journalist (whether professional or not) does not have a point of view, his photos may be as unfocused as a landscape photographer who takes a shot of a field on a farm...without a point of focus, it's just a pic.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for your understanding, phetaroi. I didn't see your remarks as criticism at all; I appreciate the discussion. I was just not sure how to understand the issue about point of view. Maybe I react a bit sensitive on that issue because I am getting tons of very bad hate mails and even threats from people claiming that I am employed by the reds to paint a positive picture about them. You are right, it's a piece of photojournalism what I am doing here and I stay honest to what I experience. I like to live in Thailand, I generally like Thai people, I like the place where I live and I approach my new neighbors as human beings. If I would get threatened down there - believe me my photos would show just that. If I am welcomed like a friend I show this friendliness in my photos - you are right, that's my individual point of view. The most important thing for me is that whatever happens I don't need to capture any blood - that's what I keep praying for every day.

Now I think I was showing and writing enough about a controversial issue. Here some of my more peaceful pictures I took a few weeks ago at Khao Khitchakut:

post-91320-1272173996_thumb.jpg

post-91320-1272174553_thumb.jpg

post-91320-1272174690_thumb.jpg

Edited by TallForeigner

Nice photos indeed.

Maybe you said it before and I missed it, what camera are you using? And lenses?

I use a Nikon D300. For all photos captured at the red shirt protests I use the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8; the three photos from Khao Khitchakut have been shot with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4

Was in Bangkok airport again this morning, Thai Airways finally added more flights to Europe and my daughter could go today.

So another picture taken in the airport, next to the passport control area.

I like colourful pictures... :)

4550221412_2a8110e14d.jpg

Did you like the colors or did you like the legs.

Own up, bad boy.

Was in Bangkok airport again this morning, Thai Airways finally added more flights to Europe and my daughter could go today.

I like colourful pictures... :D

<snip>

Did you like the colors or did you like the legs.

Own up, bad boy.

Well to me it looks like mother and daughter, but then again could be wrong. Daughter leaving with her handbag and mum with a mobile phones in each hand. :)

And yes 'eurasianthai' I did notice in your past photos posted here you do tend to take the back shots of ladies :D

Sawadee :D

I like colourful pictures... :)

4550221412_2a8110e14d.jpg

Did you like the colors or did you like the legs?

Own up, bad boy.

I like colors and high heels... :D

And yes 'eurasianthai' I did notice in your past photos posted here you do tend to take the back shots of ladies :D

Sawadee :D

Are you thirsty for more?

4546973183_cb071c4966.jpg

And well, I know that to defend yourself is to accuse yourself, but the only reason I do it is because it seems many people find it interesting.

At least the male audience... :):D

Edited by eurasianthai