The Vulcan

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S32

5019799367_f01b994a32_b.jpg

Sri Maha Mariamman Temple Dhevasthanam, KL, Malaysia

I really like the shiny reflection on the floor. Nice photo.

My pictures yesterday were mostly snap shots on a rainy day, and because of the rain I just used my little point and shoot Pentax. I didn't want to take the Nikon out of the waterproof bag. It is salmon season on the west coast of British Columbia and I was surrounded by black bears all day. They were walking down the road, across the river from where we were fishing, walking behind us on the gravel bar and feeding on the green grass. I lost count of the number of bears we saw, but it was close to 30. Some didn't stick around for a photo op but others wandered by only 20 meters away. The bears are quite used to humans fishing the river and a few get quite bold. They will sneek up behind you to steal your fish. We just laugh or throw rocks at them. Some people are nervous around bears but I've been used to them all my life.

Burman_River_3.jpg

Black_bears_3.sized.jpg

Bear_on_the_bank.jpg

• Like 1

^Its such a shame Ian, but nearly all those bear photos are blurry. A couple of the earlier ones seem to have alot of 'noise'. Were the pictures taken at sunset (low light), what were the camera settings (ie: apeture or ISO settings?). What camera lense combinations did you use?

Edited by neverdie

^Its such a shame Ian, but nearly all those bear photos are blurry. A couple of the earlier ones seem to have alot of 'noise'. Were the pictures taken at sunset (low light), what were the camera settings (ie: apeture or ISO settings?). What camera lense combinations did you use?

Never seen any of your photos on this fourm and if I did I wood not Die to see them either so post away :lol:

Kan Win :D

Yah, too often the photos are taken in rainly conditions with a hand held 200 mm telephoto. And, later blown up and reduced in quality so others can't use my photos for sale. That used to happen a lot until I learned to reduce the quality of the image. I don't worry too much about sharpness for internet purposes because my on-line photos are only for illustrating a topic. On my better shots they are fairly sharp but get a lot of blurry one in low light conditions. I use one of two cameras depending on what I'm doing. I have a Nikon 200D with an 18 to 200 mm lens, and a Pentax W30 for when it's too wet to take out my Nikon. Or, when wading in rivers where I might drown a camera. That has happened too many times to mention.

However, that brings up an entirely different topic that is related. I had a good talk with a camera expert in a local camera store. He was showing me the difference between the Nikon 300D (upgrade from my 3 YEAR OLD 200D) and the far more expensive D700 and the D3s and D3X. It was graphically illustrated by taking off the lens and looking at the mirror. The mirror on the top end Nikons are DOUBLE the size of the D300, the D3000 and the D5000. That means in low light, the resolution of the better cameras blows everything else out of the water. With the top end models you can shoot with an ISO of 6400 and it would be similar in resolution to my camera shot with a ISO of 400. That means you would hardly ever need to use a tripod or a flash in normal lighting. And, the shading in the shadows is spectacular. I was kind of drooling when leaving, but the shock of the price ($5500 to $8000) takes it out of the amateurs bracket. You have to have an unlimited bank account or sell a lot of photos to make it worthwhile.

Never seen any of your photos on this fourm and if I did I wood not Die to see them either so post away :lol:

Kan Win :D

& ur unlikely to, since I never post any. Also I don't want you to die big fella & the shock of such photography might kill you. :lol:

Yah, too often the photos are taken in rainly conditions with a hand held 200 mm telephoto. And, later blown up and reduced in quality so others can't use my photos for sale. That used to happen a lot until I learned to reduce the quality of the image. I don't worry too much about sharpness for internet purposes because my on-line photos are only for illustrating a topic. On my better shots they are fairly sharp but get a lot of blurry one in low light conditions. I use one of two cameras depending on what I'm doing. I have a Nikon 200D with an 18 to 200 mm lens, and a Pentax W30 for when it's too wet to take out my Nikon. Or, when wading in rivers where I might drown a camera. That has happened too many times to mention.

However, that brings up an entirely different topic that is related. I had a good talk with a camera expert in a local camera store. He was showing me the difference between the Nikon 300D (upgrade from my 3 YEAR OLD 200D) and the far more expensive D700 and the D3s and D3X. It was graphically illustrated by taking off the lens and looking at the mirror. The mirror on the top end Nikons are DOUBLE the size of the D300, the D3000 and the D5000. That means in low light, the resolution of the better cameras blows everything else out of the water. With the top end models you can shoot with an ISO of 6400 and it would be similar in resolution to my camera shot with a ISO of 400. That means you would hardly ever need to use a tripod or a flash in normal lighting. And, the shading in the shadows is spectacular. I was kind of drooling when leaving, but the shock of the price ($5500 to $8000) takes it out of the amateurs bracket. You have to have an unlimited bank account or sell a lot of photos to make it worthwhile.

No worries Ian, I wasnt actually having a go at you (& don't think you took it that way) BUT I often enjoy your photos, especially the non-thai stuff, i mean over in Canada and places like that....bears & so forth.

You are dead right about the Cameras etc & probably whats even more important than the camera is the lense in front of it. The worlds best camera with a shit lense isnt going to produe the words best photographs. Photography & audio have similar rules.

In Audio, theres no point having top shelf speakers and top quality amplifier if you are feeding the system thru a $2 turntable or CD Player. I've seen many systems like that and then seen much cheaper medium range stuff that is well paired blow it out of the water in every aspect.

I like the bear pics, we don't have many bears running around Bkk these days :lol:

oh the memories!

One of my favorite times of year when living on Vancouver Island was to head out to the Port Renfrew area , about 100 kms, west of Victoria about early October & take the kayak and paddle from Fairy Lake which lead in to a river heading to the ocean.... about a two to three hour paddle.

The bears, were more interested in eating the salmon than being bothered with humans! If lucky enough & early enough you might see as many as twenty.... on a trip!

Then of course there were a few eagles, waiting for the left overs!

post-85461-054597300 1286438856_thumb.jp

post-85461-080125300 1286438895_thumb.jp

post-85461-084559100 1286438906_thumb.jp

post-85461-030815200 1286438945_thumb.jp

I do that trip every year, samuijimmy. I've got the best of both worlds. I love my island, but as soon as the winter rains roll in I'm off to Thailand. I miss the winter steelhead fishing, but there are OTHER compensations in Thailand... not the least of which is drifting down Thai rivers and fishing for exotic species...

Bamboo_raft_trip_5.jpg

Bamboo_raft_trip_3.jpg

underwater_Mahseer_3_001.jpg

underwater_catfish_3.jpg

Ian,

Port Renfrew area is such a beautiful area, especially when not raining! ..... here are a few more pics I missed yesterday...

Early morning on Fairy Lake... with the whispering mist, which I understand is why it was called "Fairy Lake" .

Fish hanging are from those trapped to collect the eggs for the hatchery, up the road towards "Cowchicken Lake" ! ( a local used that name, it always stuck with me!)

Bear one... fisherman nil!

I have to say, the one thing I miss here on Samui, it is not a great area for Kayaking, the waters around north & east side of Koh Phengan & Koa Toa or Anthong Marine Park, would be better!

I used to spend many a summer week end at Sombrio Beach too & walk the Juan de Fuca Trail, (never did the west coast trail!)....

post-85461-028618200 1286504706_thumb.jp

post-85461-035512500 1286504716_thumb.jp

post-85461-076030000 1286504737_thumb.jp