Shop With Old Thai Music Cds/vcds ?

Mali89

Hi there...You might try Fortune Town on Ratchadapisek/Rama 9 Intersection.

Go to the 3rd floor [hotel side] and here you will find several audio shops. Check out the shop owned by Khun Wit, he has loads of old Thai music both on CD and Vinyl.

Cheers.

They are to be found in just about every shopping centre, either a stand selling cd's or in a shop called Mang Pong, it has a red scorpion sign.

What you are looking for is, เพลงโบราณ, or in English pleng boraan.

No they cannot be found in just about any shopping centre and I have never seen scorpian sell old CD's etc. The place people have mentioned is http://shop.maemaiplengthai.com/index.php who sell reissued lukrung and luktung from the 1950's onwards. What I think the OP meant was genuinely old stock which is much more difficult to find. The only ones i have seen are in china town, but there are a lot of pavement sellers of genuinely old tapes around the royal palace by the river

Mahboonkrong (MBK) ground floor.There is a shop in front of the Santas burger shop located underneath the escalator. There is also a CD shop near Saphan Lek (West end of Yaowaraj Rd.). Kind of harder to find because it is obscured by push cart vendors selling sugarcane juice.

Mahboonkrong (MBK) ground floor.There is a shop in front of the Santas burger shop located underneath the escalator.

that's still maemaiplengthai stock as mentioned, sometimes the shops are called bangkok music, not old cd's but all new reissued lukrung and luktung and at silly prices. You can buy their stuff on the street for 100 baht, saw in Udom Suk last week, depends what you want. Some singers are almost impossible to find.

They are to be found in just about every shopping centre, either a stand selling cd's or in a shop called Mang Pong, it has a red scorpion sign.

What you are looking for is, เพลงโบราณ, or in English pleng boraan.

No they cannot be found in just about any shopping centre and I have never seen scorpian sell old CD's etc. The place people have mentioned is http://shop.maemaiplengthai.com/index.php who sell reissued lukrung and luktung from the 1950's onwards. What I think the OP meant was genuinely old stock which is much more difficult to find. The only ones i have seen are in china town, but there are a lot of pavement sellers of genuinely old tapes around the royal palace by the river

The op mentioned he was ,"searching for old thai music", I could see no reference to the format he wants.

Perhaps the op could enlightenen us with the format and type of music he requires, because I also saw no reference to luk tung or mor lan music.

If the op is looking for old stock he could try the nightly market at Huay Kwang, I am sure the mil has a stack of old 78's, she never listens to these days, lying around somewhere.

However re-reading the ops post he says,"to find the new cds", will let the mil know she can hang onto her 78's.

Seeing as you are familiar with Udom Suk, I take it you also know of Imperial Sam Rong, I have seen lots of second hand markets in the vicinty selling Thai music in various formats, may be worth a visit.

What I think the OP meant was genuinely old stock which is much more difficult to find. The only ones i have seen are in china town, but there are a lot of pavement sellers of genuinely old tapes around the royal palace by the river

uhm yeah. Actually, sorry for not being to specific, what I want is old pop cds from Rs & GMM from around 10 years ago, that shop at siam discovery was perfect :'(

thanks everyone for the info !!

However re-reading the ops post he says,"to find the new cds"

sorry what I mean is that is already difficult to find the new thai cds, they almost have only occidental stuff so its very hard to find the kind of cds i want from a few months ago already

my english sux :)"

To the op, try these two phone numbers,

083 928 9096 or 086 950 3930.

The shop is called T+O, it buys and sells used cd, vcd and dvd.

The shop is located in a mall on Lat Praw soi 1 and is open daily from 10 in the morning until 10 at night.

i tried to call those numbers but not working! :)

hello all, just coincidentally found this thread doing a search - i am looking for old luk thung and mor lam music on vinyl - 78s / 45s / LPs are all fine, also interested in cassettes (though vinyl is preferable)... i will be in bangkok at the end of next week and was thinking of checking the ratchada night market as well as JJ and possibly klong thom saturday night. do you think these are the best places to search? if anyone has any good info, i'm very much open to hear it... many thanks.

I'm not sure I'm going to be much help but, I was on a bus (No 8) last week, travelling from Chinatown back to Victory Monument. We passed two shops on the left hand side, with a lot of very old vinyl LP's and 7" singles in. The shops were almost next to one another. Hope this helps.

The nightly market at Sanam Luang might be worth a visit too.

Edited by jaiyenyen