Where Did You Get Conned Renting A Motorbike In Los ?

livil

Hello Everybody

just thought i would open a topic about places that rape you when you rent motorbikes.

as you all know the common practice when renting a motorbike in los is to leave your passport as a deposit against any damages that you might do to the bike. without your passport you are off course hostage to the rent shop that will inevitably find a sratch on the bike that according to them will justify to exchange the part fpor a brand new one.

many tourists had to bite the dust on that one . so i thought we could all post here a list of places to avoid, maybe loosing buisness will return some form of ethical practice among those black sheeps.

i personally have had bad experiences on koh tao twice. please understand that trying to be clever and pop to the mechanic to get the part at a far lower price than the one quoted by the shop ( usually around 4 time more expensive ) will be a bit of a hit or miss as most of the mechanics have been told not to fix rented motorbike if a farang brings it in. yep absolutely disgusting

so far i got raped by:

SANTA TRAVEL in the main street in maehaad that charged me 1200bhat for a side mirror ( cost price in chumpon is 150bhat)

LEDERHOSENBIKES ( so called respectable german owned shop at the top of mae haad main street) wouldnot give me back my passport if i didnot pay 2500bhat for a scratch on the breack handle. avoid them at all cost if you dont want to be abused and physically threatened. but dont take my word for it , just google lederhosenbikes review.

on a more bright note, i rented a motorbike at Goodluckshop ( by the songserm peer) and scratched the exaust cover. the owner wanted 800bhat but was more than happy to let me order the part and fix it myself. which i did , it cost me 700bhat . so only a 100bhat mark up if i let the owner change it. that is HONESTY , which is getting harder and harder to find in Koh tao.

i really hope this topic will be sucessfull , well it should be if you consider the amount of people getting conned this way everyday over there

regards

livil

Edited by livil

you only got ripped off $100 USD on koh tao? lucky you

count your stars lucky and move on with your life

already moved on . bought a wave 125 in chumpon. ;-)

just trying to have people not to fall in the same trap.

my advice: rent a old motorbike that is scratched all over the place!

loads of rip off places in patts but heres a good one, 150 thb per day, new bikes, outside kate siree bar on soi bukaew, this girl has around 15 new bikes and obviously shes making a kill as they are allways rented , makes sense to drop the price and take the market though you do need to rent for 1 week min, if not then its 200 thb per day. i wouldnt even go near beach road to rent bikes too many sharks and they were asking 300 thb a day for a scrappy moped.

Never had a bad experience in Samui, Pai, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Ko Chang.

I guess I must be lucky. Or maybe it's because I don't drop my rental bikes :) Actually long ago I rented a Super Tenere in Samui. I had not ridden a bike in ages, and this one's particularly huge. Dropped it 4 times, always while standing, and broke off the brake lever bit by bit. Got charged 400 bht which I think was more than ok.