Home Networking Question

sbk

OK, we have two computers one of which is networked to the other. The main computer (which has the modem) is much faster at loading internet pages than the other computer. Now, main uses a usb dial up modem (no we don't have adsl, no we can't get it yet). I can get a ethernet hub (my network is 100mbs) for pretty cheap but would it still be kinda slow? I read somewhere that a switching hub would be faster, what do you think?

And how would this work with my usb modem?

Sorry if these seem like basic questions but I have used the networking cable for a while and have only noticed a major slowdown since we switched to the usb modem (could be a coincidence tho, internet service is traditionally pretty lousy here). Main is still pretty fast and the 2nd one is alright as long as noone uses main but slows right down as soon as someone is on main.

Suggestions please!!!

you are speaking about share the internet only?

The problem is not the network, even if you can do only 10 mbs and crossover cable, it is much faster than what your modem can do.

there must be a other reason.

What you can try: set the speed on both computer on 10 mbit half duplex (might be called different). I had that on my laptop, that a faster connection with crossover cable result in connection problems which caused a slowdown instead of an increase of speed. So 10 Mbit were faster (because reliable) than 100 Mbit.

OK, we have two computers one of which is networked to the other. The main computer (which has the modem) is much faster at loading internet pages than the other computer. Now, main uses a usb dial up modem (no we don't have adsl, no we can't get it yet). I can get a ethernet hub (my network is 100mbs) for pretty cheap but would it still be kinda slow? I read somewhere that a switching hub would be faster, what do you think?

And how would this work with my usb modem?

Sorry if these seem like basic questions but I have used the networking cable for a while and have only noticed a major slowdown since we switched to the usb modem (could be a coincidence tho, internet service is traditionally pretty lousy here). Main is still pretty fast and the 2nd one is alright as long as noone uses main but slows right down as soon as someone is on main.

Suggestions please!!!

Hello SBK,

With two computers you not have to buy any hub or switch, just buy a cheap crossover cable and you can connect two computers together.

How-to "share" a USB modem in this tiny network is simple, just click on the dailup icon and select properties to share the connection.

Sorry if I wasn't clear but they are already networked with a cable. The modem is set up on one computer (main), the second computer is networked to main by a cable.

I do want to share files and printer as well. Just want to understand why only the one is slow and if getting a hub would make any difference.

The switch will give you 100 mbs transfer rate IF you have 100 mb netowrk cards in each computer, However, the previous poster is correct, you don't need the switch if your just hooking up two computers. with a simple crossover cable (a cable just like a network cable but wired diff) and 100 mb cards in each computer you can get 100mb transfer with out the switch. No matter what way you go the modem can be shared by both by setting your windows modem settings to share the connection.

greg

A little add:

sometimes it does not work with 100 Mbit (I guess if the cable or the network cards are not good) and a crossover cable is limited in its lenght (not sure I have something about 10 meter in my mind, but not sure if that is true). while solutions with a switch can be very very long (200 meter per cable????).

h90

The switch will give you 100 mbs transfer rate IF you have 100 mb netowrk cards in each computer, However, the previous poster is correct, you don't need the switch if your just hooking up two computers. with a simple crossover cable (a cable just like a network cable but wired diff) and 100 mb cards in each computer you can get 100mb transfer with out the switch. No matter what way you go the modem can be shared by both by setting your windows modem settings to share the connection.

greg

The limit on ethernet 10baseT and 100baseT is 100 meters. This does not change for crossover cables or for swtiches/hubs. One thing is that you might want to keep the length of the cables more than a few meters. Otherwise, it's 100 meters (but that might vary a bit with the quality of the cable and jacks).

The difference between a hub and a switch (I prefer not to call them switching hubs, it's confusing) is that a hub shares its bandwidth among all ports. All computers get the same information at the same time. With a switch, the circuitry inside the switch intelligently sends only the required information to the required port, so each port has full bandwidth. Not only that, a switch is capable of "full duplex" operation, which means that it can send and receive information simultaneously. A hub does "half duplex", which means it can only do one or the other.

However, in your case, there are only two computers. Also, they're connected directly to each other, which already gives a full duplex connection (same as a switch).

In any case, these days consumer switches (100 mbit) are VERY cheap, and it's actually a bit hard to find any plain old hubs any more.

But, when you think about it, your modem connection is only 56kbits/sec, which is a drop in the lake for even a half-duplex 10mbit connection. I suspect the problem is more with your sharing setup or your computers, not with the network. Try moving the modem to the other computer and see if the problems still persist.

I checked and it seems you are right crossover cable can have the same lenght as the normal one. Even I am 100 % sure to read something different in a german magazine a few years ago.....

So forget my previous posting, there are some mistakes in it.

The limit on ethernet 10baseT and 100baseT is 100 meters.  This does not change for crossover cables or for swtiches/hubs.  One thing is that you might want to keep the length of the cables more than a few meters.  Otherwise, it's 100 meters (but that might vary a bit with the quality of the cable and jacks).

The difference between a hub and a switch (I prefer not to call them switching hubs, it's confusing) is that a hub shares its bandwidth among all ports.  All computers get the same information at the same time.  With a switch, the circuitry inside the switch intelligently sends only the required information to the required port, so each port has full bandwidth.  Not only that, a switch is capable of "full duplex" operation, which means that it can send and receive information simultaneously.  A hub does "half duplex", which means it can only do one or the other.

However, in your case, there are only two computers.  Also, they're connected directly to each other, which already gives a full duplex connection (same as a switch).

In any case, these days consumer switches (100 mbit) are VERY cheap, and it's actually a bit hard to find any plain old hubs any more.

But, when you think about it, your modem connection is only 56kbits/sec, which is a drop in the lake for even a half-duplex 10mbit connection.  I suspect the problem is more with your sharing setup or your computers, not with the network.  Try moving the modem to the other computer and see if the problems still persist.

Buy a switch - it will speed things up. Right now, your're using your computer for network, print, and file management - the switch will do that for you. Too, the switch will allow you to place additional devices (2nd printer, external hard drive for archive, mp3 device) on your network easier.

Buy a switch - it will speed things up.  Right now, your're using your computer for network, print, and file management - the switch will do that for you.  Too, the switch will allow you to place additional devices (2nd printer, external hard drive for archive, mp3 device) on your network easier.

I agree that a switch is a good idea. But, if you read the OP, you'll see that the "fast" computer is the one doing all the network, print and file management. The "slow" computer is the client.

I still think there maybe a configuration problem on the slow machine.

To the OP:

Are you comfortable with using the command line? If so, can you do:

IPCONFIG /all

and send us the results from both machines?

Sbk, are these windows computers and are you using Windows Connection Sharing? If a cable is the only hardware you have (plus the computers and the usb modem) I believe that Windows Connection Sharing is half your problem.

The other half of the problem I see is the difficulty of truly sharing a usb modem. No matter HOW you connect the two computers to a hub or switch all the information has to go into the main computer to reach the usb modem. So the main computer hogs the connection, and the other computer is slow.

You need a way to access the internet that can connect directly to a hub or switch, so it can be shared equally. Unfortunately, you don't have one if you can't get DSL or satellite internet. Unless someone knows something I don't about the existence of a modem that uses an ethernet connection!

The other half of the problem I see is the difficulty of truly sharing a usb modem. No matter HOW you connect the two computers to a hub or switch all the information has to go into the main computer to reach the usb modem. So the main computer hogs the connection, and the other computer is slow.

This is simply not true. Before I got ADSL I was sharing a dial-up connection via a USB modem using the Mac OS built in software router. Both computers had equal share of the Internet connection and neither was any slower than the other.

Windoze Internet sharing works the same way, via a built-in software router. All clients will get an equal share of the Internet unless the router is otherwise configured.

I think we need more information about the OP's port and router configurations before we can know what one computer is "slow".

discussing all these network terms is a course in itself. I won't try to begin.

there are so many variables to consider. with the limited info you provided, anybody would be hardpressed to resolve your problem.

my first attempt would be to ask...

1) have you always had this problem?

2) if not, what changes have you made?

just out of the blue, another angle I would ask is, do you have a mac, and a pc both on the same network? if so, then, you might want to check what protocol you are using. appletalk, ethertalk, netbeui, tcpip. protocols do make a difference on a network in regards to speed, and traffic.

another obvious reason for why one pc works faster than another is because the physical hardware is different. maybe you have more memory on one computer.

a switch is more advanced than a hub. imagine 1 road that is shared by 8 cars. ..then, imagine 8 cars, each on their own road. which is faster?