Anyone Else Having Problems With Vonage?

ChiangMaiThai

For the past 48 hours, my Vonage won't work. The ADSL signal from Ji-Net is there, but the Motorolla device will only blink twice again and again which means it can't find an IP address. This has happened before, but only for an hour or two and then it goes back to solid green. I have a TT&T line. Ji-Net insists that it is nothing on their side and that they have changed nothing. TT&T says they can have someone take a look- for a fee, but I don't think they're going to be real familar with Vonage.

Anyone else having a similar problem by any chance? The device not being able to find an IP address is exactly what happened when I tried to use it with TSpeed last year. After much frustration, I found that this was because Tspeed does not offer a real IP address and in addition, CAT blocks the ports that allow it to work. So I'm thinking that maybe Ji-Net has been reconfigured in a similar fashion, but they insist not.

Any ideas?

When I was in the US in Feb, I enrolled with Vonage and added the softphone. I use True ADSL and have had absolutely no problems with it since I started. But I am only using it with the softphone feature.

When I enrolled they sent me a router which I brought back to Thailand. Is it possible to use this router as you would in the US?

Stoneman

When I enrolled they sent me a router which I brought back to Thailand. Is it possible to use this router as you would in the US?

Stoneman

Yes - we're using the router from Vonage UK. For a US router, check that the power supply is compatible here (it may be a 110V power supply) but apart from that, everything is the same.

Good news. The boys from TT&T finally came around after I called the head office. There was a problem with the main servers at TT&T as they explained it. Vonage had told me that a power surge probably fried it and I needed a new device, but that wasn't the case.

There's no issues with the power on the Motorolla device anyway. It works all around the world.

To me skype is like a toy. Vonage is for real. Most importantly, skype doesn't give you your own number. On top of that, you have to be in front of your computer. With Vonage you don't even need a computer. And the vopice quality is the same as a regular phone.

And the vopice quality is the same as a regular phone.

I'll agree with that most of the time - especially when dialling out.

However, I do seem to get the odd issue when people phone me, when the phone rings, but I get silence when I pick it up.

Who is your ISP? I've got Ji-Net Compax (512/256 shared with 5 or 10 others- can't recall) and never have any issues at all. The people who call me have no idea that I'm in Thailand unless I tell them. I'm actually surprised that there isn't some law against it in the US. There's certain websites that have to verifiy that you are in the US before they will allow you access. So you use a proxy server and they call you at your 'home' to confirm. Too easy to last forever it seems...