How Sharp Are You?

The Vulcan

Having just upgraded to a Canon 5D MK11- 21Mp from a 5D MK1 - 12Mp I was stunned to see how much the higher resolving power and detail of the new camera has exposed the mis-alignment in my lenses.

Taking delivery of a Panasonic GF1 and fitting my "old" Zeiss G lenses and seeing the sharpness achieved by them also started me thinking. The GF1 with Zeiss glass was outperforming my MK1 and L glass! And this at manual focusing!

Something was wrong here!

There's quite a lot of talk on the net these days about this subject and indeed another forum member "Hughden" and I have exchanged

The bottom line is that nearly all my (DSLR) lenses would seem to benefit from re-alignment (nudge to Hugh!)

Here's a few links that may be of interest

Definitely worth investigating

Lens testing

Lens Align

Contax G lenses

Scroll through to page 3 on the latter link for comparisons of flare and sharpness as opposed to alignment - interesting as I have G lenses :)

When you see problems with all your lenses how do you rule out the problem is not with camera?

Problem is "NEARLY" all my lenses

My 70-200 F4 L IS, 50mm F1.2 L, 100mm macro F2.8 are tack sharp and bang on

85mm, 17-40, 12-24, 24, 35mm are out

The above would seem to remove the body from the equation (I believe)

It's a fairly known and discussed issue (especially with Canon) and hence the facility implanted within the camera to fine tune alignment. Canon themselves will actually undertake this task but it means all the lenses and body going off to them and waiting!

Edited by The Vulcan

This is one of the main problem of the Canon 450D, the sharpness. Not post- processed, the pictures look soft, soft to me anyway.

If you do not want to shoot raw with that camera, I would suggest you push the sharpness to +5 minimum.

Is that with all lenses?

Perhaps time to try some of the tests that Vulcan mentioned.

It's a fairly known and discussed issue (especially with Canon) and hence the facility implanted within the camera to fine tune alignment. Canon themselves will actually undertake this task but it means all the lenses and body going off to them and waiting!

I've been thinking of doing this for a long time and I was even recommended by the technician at Canon Service at Sathorn to do so. Any idea how much money and time it takes?

I've been thinking of doing this for a long time and I was even recommended by the technician at Canon Service at Sathorn to do so. Any idea how much money and time it takes?

Done it last Year at Canon Sathorn. Took about 1 week, and the cost was 500 Baht per item (Camera and Body). Free within Warranty period when the items were bought in Thailand!

Definitely worth it! The Microadjustment works well with primes, but does not work with zoom lenses, as you need different factors for different lengths.

• 2 weeks later...

Outcome of my lens alignment test using "Hughden" Lensalign tool.

Camera on a tripod, align tool also on a tripod.

I spent absolutely ages lining it up but got it smack on in the end.

and this is the outcome.

+ adjustment is to correct front focusing

- adjustment is to correct back focusing

70-200 F4 L IS no adjustment

24mm F1.4 L +5

35mm F1.4 L +10

50mm F1.2 L no adjustment

85mm F1.2 L +15

100 macro f2.8 +5

17-40 L No adjustment

Sigma 12-24 +13

5 out of 8 lenses needed correction! :)

Interestingly all the errors were attributable to front focusing

My initial tests using my computer screen and downloaded charts was inaccurate

This lensalign tool is far more scientific and believable

Outcome of my lens alignment test using "Hughden" Lensalign tool.

5 out of 8 lenses needed correction! :)

Interestingly all the errors were attributable to front focusing

My initial tests using my computer screen and downloaded charts was inaccurate

This lensalign tool is far more scientific and believable

Very interesting. I would use that but my camera has no adjustment feature.