Marble Flooring

ChiangMaiFun

When we have been shopping for natural stone last year, we found the prices at Home Sukkapan quite competitive. There is a large granite+marble shop on the same road a bit further up on the other side near Bangkok Furniture shop. In addition to local marble, they also have a nice choice of imported marble. We bought Spanish Emperador for the bathroom counter.

I would generally not use marble for flooring, however. It's too brittle. Granite is more durable and probably also cheaper.

Cheers, CMX

I would generally not use marble for flooring, however. It's too brittle. Granite is more durable and probably also cheaper.

I'd second that. Got a marble floor and it's a <deleted> to maintain (doesn't like drips of water etc)... needs a repolish and refinish with oxalic acid but unfortunately no-one here knows what it is :)

I also have parquet upstairs, but if I were starting a house from scratch, I reckon I'd go with large granite tiles downstairs (although well polished marble does look more desirable imo) and perhaps laminate upstairs. A decent quality laminate looks like wood, is easy to clean and is pretty hardy, low-maintenance stuff. Don't know the costing but wouldn't think it'd be more than parquet (real wood). Parquet also looks somewhat dated unless perhaps you go for that bleached look.

Laminate

room_scene.jpg

I also have parquet upstairs, but if I were starting a house from scratch, I reckon I'd go with large granite tiles downstairs (although well polished marble does look more desirable imo) and perhaps laminate upstairs. A decent quality laminate looks like wood, is easy to clean and is pretty hardy, low-maintenance stuff. Don't know the costing but wouldn't think it'd be more than parquet (real wood). Parquet also looks somewhat dated unless perhaps you go for that bleached look.

Laminate

room_scene.jpg

thanks - Ive always found laminate to look quiet 'cheap' - the condo I have already has it and it doesn't 'feel' high-end at all - the marble I have had before looks good but is VERY hard on the back and spine and water on it makes it an ice-rink.

I was thinking bleached parquet - 'honey' coloured and just wondered what people thought about the 'aesthitics' of it in a high-end condo? hate the dark brown that all condos seem to have here - the bleached looks spectacular - but as good as marble? not sure... jury is out but it's a close thing - def softer on the spine!

I'd second that. Got a marble floor and it's a <deleted> to maintain (doesn't like drips of water etc)... needs a repolish and refinish with oxalic acid but unfortunately no-one here knows what it is :)

I used marble for my kitchen floor. I was unaware that marble does not like water or most anything found in a kitchen. Anything with vinegar in it will strip the floor of it's shine. And everything seems to have vinegar...

I used marble for my kitchen floor. I was unaware that marble does not like water or most anything found in a kitchen. Anything with vinegar in it will strip the floor of it's shine. And everything seems to have vinegar...

yes I think Ill go parquet - and granite on the bathrooms floors - marble for the walls - its just so damned slippery though! I am designing an open lounge with kitchen so will go parquet throughout I think (bleached).

yes I think Ill go parquet - and granite on the bathrooms floors - marble for the walls - its just so damned slippery though! I am designing an open lounge with kitchen so will go parquet throughout I think (bleached).

A polished surface on the bathroom floor is an accident waiting to happen, especially with a Thai-style open shower that leaves the bathroom always wet. We have used non-slip ceramic tiles with a wood texture and a rough surface. Another bathroom has oxide tiles, also with a rough surface.

For the living room flooring, did you have a look into coloured polished concrete? It has become popular in residential construction in recent years. It is durable, robust, cheap, and looks very nice if done properly. Otherwise, parquet is always a good choice. Here in Thailand, hardwood parquet is a fraction of the cost of that in Europe. Since it's just slightly more expensive than laminate, I wonder why one would want to use laminate at all.

Cheers, CMX

A polished surface on the bathroom floor is an accident waiting to happen, especially with a Thai-style open shower that leaves the bathroom always wet. We have used non-slip ceramic tiles with a wood texture and a rough surface. Another bathroom has oxide tiles, also with a rough surface.

For the living room flooring, did you have a look into coloured polished concrete? It has become popular in residential construction in recent years. It is durable, robust, cheap, and looks very nice if done properly. Otherwise, parquet is always a good choice. Here in Thailand, hardwood parquet is a fraction of the cost of that in Europe. Since it's just slightly more expensive than laminate, I wonder why one would want to use laminate at all.

Cheers, CMX

no ive not heard of it... it's important this condo maintains it's top-end status and I have 108 sq. meters to cover - i'm 99% sure I'll go parquet - any good dealers/installers you know of?