How Well Do You Get On Other Farang

likite

I've been in Thailand some 5/6 years. I've come across a real cross selection of farang from many countries both young and old.

How many are emotionally stable? My estimate is 90% are unstable/crazy to some extent. Do some make a normal mate/mate relationship impossible beacause of their problems?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get on with other farang quite well, but they are not the bar type. I meet them during fishing or sports and usually those are quite normal guys. I would not want to spend time with losers who spend all their time in bars.

That does not mean your a looser if you go to a bar once in a while, im talking about the guys who are there 24/7

Other then that i selected my friends carefully in my home country why would i not do the same here.

On an other point why would i like someone just because they are foreigner like me.

Do i like Thais.. hmm i do like some Thais but since im still not fluid in Thai it does not give me opportunity to really talk with them. Sure i can order food, chit chat a bit but when things get real specific im lost for words. So its a bit harder to make a connection.

How many are emotionally stable? My estimate is 90% are unstable/crazy to some extent.

:) That's funny. I think it must just be the kind of people you're hanging out with. The majority of my friends are foreigners, and I found them to be some of the most respectful, ambitious, professional, caring, funny, adventurous, stable people I've ever met. I think you need to find yourself some new friends. :D

Personally I prefer to "get on" my wife, rather than other farangs.

As for getting on "with" other farangs, as robblok says, it depends on where you meet them and whether you have anything in common.

Age and how active you are in the larger community plays a part as well. There are definitely good people out there. The trick is running in the same circles.

My German mate has gone back home. He was the only Farang I knew that stayed for a while in this village.

Other than that, I have to go into town to The Welcome Bar to meet other Farangs. The lads in there seem

ok to me and they were polite to my wife.

I get along great with them so long as I can beat them in the head with a stick in Lumpini Park :)

21540_260602996959_691411959_3988972_2155798_n.jpg

Thats me in the Blue.... lol!

Anyway, really and truly I get along fine with everyone nationality wise here. I have a good circle of Expat friends and Thai friends alike. Together we play games, travel, exercise, and look out for each other. I feel blessed to have them and it's what really helps to make Thailand home for me.

My first few months here I lost faith almost completely in Farang. Largely cos I was associating with teachers. I "went Native" for a while and had a friend not invited me to his big farang party I might never have given them another chance. I do find now that there are some good old sticks around and I am glad I have regular and sporadic contact with them.

There is good and bad anywhere but I do still think that the small concentration of Farang here is over-populated with wierdos just because this is the kind of place where they can pull a Kaiser Sosay and vanish.

I get along great with them so long as I can beat them in the head with a stick in Lumpini Park :D

21540_260602996959_691411959_3988972_2155798_n.jpg

Thats me in the Blue.... lol!

Anyway, really and truly I get along fine with everyone nationality wise here. I have a good circle of Expat friends and Thai friends alike. Together we play games, travel, exercise, and look out for each other. I feel blessed to have them and it's what really helps to make Thailand home for me.

The one in blue is you, now you are not unstable or crazy, quite normal to attack each other at Lumpini park :D where about a million kids walking around on a Sunday afternoon.

So a gues 90% isn't the right figure from OP, much less.

can i join next time :D:)

Needforspeed,

Who wants to be stable when you can Armour up and beat people down with sticks on a lovely Sunday afternoon? :D

But yeah if you or anyone else is interested in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) I can put ya in touch with the right people (I'm not a spokes person or anything)

This is realy funy, beat the shit out of each other for a hour, have shower and after a few pins of cold beer, great sunday afternoon.

And the kids can watch :)

Generally, I have gotten on with most people wherever I have been.

There does seem a disproportionate number of farang in LOS who i would class as a tad whacko... but the vast majority are fine.

In my circle, most are either teachers aged 28 - 40, or expats over 50 (both retired or semi retired) and seem decent folk... that said, even within that confined sample of the populace, there are some pretty unhinged peeps who seem to constantly wash up on our shores!

I am much more concerned about the madness and bad behaviour of foreigners than of Thais. I agree that there is a disproportionate number of nutters here. Having said that, I have met many wonderful people here, too. It seems to be a country which attracts the extremes.

My perspective after 8 years here:

1. Working "Professional" Farangs living here are generally well balanced and living "normal" lives as expats, which doesnt mean to say they are completely sane...

2. Some Retirees I have come across have serious chips on their shoulders and some are out and out loonies

3. Then we have the desparate and will do anything to stay in Thailand Farangs, again chips on their shoulders.

In my experience here, (not having ago at geniune teachers) , the worst sorts are the "English" teachers here, all the ones I have come across have been full of their own importance and very arrogant..

One particular gentleman in bar, managed to get himself into a group of O&G workers who work in Thailand, and kept going on how much money he was making in Thailand, and us as tourists should respect Thai culture etc....eventually one of my collegues bit and asked him how much he made a month.....When he said the princely of THB 30,000/m, the group went quite and someone piped up that we were asking about his monthly salary not his monthly expense claim... :)

I've got a couple of western mates in KK and that's it. Family men like me who get together once or twice a week for a laugh.

I don't crave interaction with other westerners. I don't have a need to seek out another westerner for a chat. After 15 years here and 10 years of marriage with a daughter my famiy life suits me fine. All my real friends visit me a couple of times a year from home as do my family and that's enough for me.

There are some good blokes out there for sure but round my way I can't be bothered sorting the wheat from the chaff to be perfectly honest.

I've got a couple of western mates in KK and that's it. Family men like me who get together once or twice a week for a laugh.

I don't crave interaction with other westerners. I don't have a need to seek out another westerner for a chat. After 15 years here and 10 years of marriage with a daughter my famiy life suits me fine. All my real friends visit me a couple of times a year from home as do my family and that's enough for me.

There are some good blokes out there for sure but round my way I can't be bothered sorting the wheat from the chaff to be perfectly honest.

Seems to me you have everything sorted out nicely. The bit about wheat from the chaff is oh so true.

I don't get along with any of them.

They are all too stubborn and opinionated. And none of them will agree with me on anything. :)

I'm also one of the 1-in-10 stable farangs.

I think my wife and two ex's would concur. So would my substance-abuse counselor back in the home country. :D

Edited by toptuan

Over four postings and twelve years in Thailand I've met two foreigners I regard as good friends.

The rest I've met fall into three distinct groups:

Harmless misfits/Walter Mitties.

Mentally disturbed misfits/Walter Mitties

Crooks and Vicious thugs.

It's often been said that Thailand is where the Dregs of the West come to meet the Dregs of the East - I'd rather not get in their way.

Over four postings and twelve years in Thailand I've met two foreigners I regard as good friends.

It's often been said that Thailand is where the Dregs of the West come to meet the Dregs of the East - I'd rather not get in their way.

Gosh, GH, is sounds like me and thee are the only two normal Western human beings left in Thailand... oh, and your two friends. :)

Gosh, GH, is sounds like me and thee are the only two normal Western human beings left in Thailand... oh, and your two friends.

Well I don't claim to have met every 'Normal Westerner' in Thailand but as one of my two good friends here remarked only last week - A new acquaintance of his has, in the space of three months, gone from a possible good friend to yet another misfit brining their own personal problems to his door.

Thailand attracts a lot of guys who are running away from sh1t back home - What they don't understand is a lot of that sh1t remains stuck to them.

Gosh, GH, is sounds like me and thee are the only two normal Western human beings left in Thailand... oh, and your two friends.

Well I don't claim to have met every 'Normal Westerner' in Thailand but as one of my two good friends here remarked only last week - A new acquaintance of his has, in the space of three months, gone from a possible good friend to yet another misfit brining their own personal problems to his door.

Thailand attracts a lot of guys who are running away from sh1t back home - What they don't understand is a lot of that sh1t remains stuck to them.

All joking aside...

So what begs the question is...

Why do they come to THAILAND? The "mai pben rai" mentality of Thais? Thai tolerance? Thai inability to recognize and isolate/ostracize western misfits? Ability to "blend" in (loaded question)? Thai willingness to put up with misfits as long as the ATM card stays current? Too many opportunist Thais willing to associate with them as a stepping stone to the west?

This is the question that puzzles me most, as we all know so many western misfits who couldn't be touched with a 10-foot pole by peers in their home country, yet here seem to have a girl (or guy) on each arm, or quite easily get employment with Thai institutions/companies.

Edited by toptuan

So if you didnt befriend someone and you dont come across as the warm and friendly type it means they are a bullsh7tter a crook or violent .... good to know youre one of the mentally ill deluded ones the OP is talking of.

My opinion of expats be they here in Bahrain in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter is that many drink to excess far more often then they should and this makes them idiots and affects how they think. ... i dont drink that much so im actually above Guest House in the sanity, non bullsh7tter stakes, and i havent given anyone a slap since the last time someone might have looked at me funny :) .

Edited by whichschool

... i dont drink that much so im actually above Guest House in the sanity, non bullsh7tter stakes, and i havent given anyone a slap since the last time someone might have looked at me funny :) .

Not drinking is no guarantee of sanity of not being a bullsh7tter.

... i dont drink that much so im actually above Guest House in the sanity, non bullsh7tter stakes, and i havent given anyone a slap since the last time someone might have looked at me funny :) .

Not drinking is no guarantee of sanity of not being a bullsh7tter.

Yes you cant trust those tee-totallers, theyz nots likes me's and yous are they!