New Website Gives Advice On Sex

webfact

New website gives advice on sex

By The Nation

Published on February 12, 2010

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) and the Education Ministry yesterday launched a website to advise young people on sex - coinciding with a Unicef report that Thailand has 150,000 mothers under age 20, among the highest in the region.

The Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) and the Education Ministry yesterday launched a website to advise young people on sex - coinciding with a Unicef report that Thailand has 150,000 mothers under age 20, among the highest in the region.

ThaiHealth deputy manager Krisada Reung-areerat said the new website (talkaboutsex.thaihealth.or.th) offered sex information in easy and familiar language for teenagers, with tests, and a web board for questions and answers.

To help parents provide sex education for their families, the website will be available to parental networks at 122 schools in 12 educational zones, he said.

The Education Ministry will also promote this new website at www.moe.go.th as well as at 900 public libraries nationwide.

An Abac poll from January 27 of 2,060 young people aged 9-18 - in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Chon Buri, and Songkhla - found 65 per cent said they had no idea about birth control.

The analysis said that only 10 per cent of respondents aged 9-12 knew about birth control, Abac Poll Director Noppadol Kannikar said, while 64 per cent had no knowledge about prevention of sexually transmitted diseases (STD).

Among respondents, 60 per cent believed parents should provide sex education, followed by teachers, and close friends.

If they encountered sexual problems, 59 per cent of polled youth would turn to parents, followed by close friends, medical experts, and teachers. The analysis found that the older the young people the greater their tendency to talk with friends.

A good sexual consultant was described as a not judgmental or critical person who was able to keep secrets.

Media providing sex education should be modern, use language familiar to youngsters, have all answers for their curiosity and provide a channel for questions and opinions, Noppadol said.

ThaiHealth's Sexual Health Promotion Plan manager, Nattaya Boonpakdee, said Thailand did not prepare youth well, especially those going through puberty who were curious about sex. When the young were not prepared and their questions were unanswered, problems would occur.

Citing a Unicef finding that Thailand's figure of 150,000 mothers under 20 was among the region's highest, Nattaya said the report also found Thai youth had a poor knowledge of STD prevention and sex.

Switzerland, with the world's lowest number of teenage mothers, had a population with positive attitudes towards sex. Schools teach sex education that is thorough and positive, with easy accesses to birth control and STD prevention methods.

"What we must do is equip our youth with good information to promote a positive attitude towards sex and better access to birth control and STD prevention," Nattaya said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

If they would be clever they would not use a totally insane domainname like 'talkaboutsex.thaihealth.or.th' but just 'sextalkthai.com', if they really wanna reach the people.

Except form the very poor photo quality (really looks like they -not bothered by copyrights- cut them from magazines/scanned them, hihihahahurrrp). At first sight (only) this website itself looks better then the avarage Thai site.

Very suprising they use pictures of foreign ladies with stomachache... why ? I thought foreigners where banned in Thai advertisement ?, and it's Thai ladies who always complain about stomachache (because they put 4 spoons of sugar and 6 spoons of chily in their choo-rot poisoned soup... hehe)

If the goal is just to educate people about sex this website is a lost chance... way too many text, (relevant information 'discretely' hidden between an overdose of blablabla) too many links etc. etc. will not have any effect for sure. And that's how it goes on and on... they just don't get it.

009_0.jpg

But after all a happy end because the Thai lady marries... a farang ! :)

seyuhrth.jpg

Ofcourse..... we win :D

Edited by ManilaLover

Except form the very poor photo quality (really looks like they -not bothered by copyrights- cut them from magazines/scanned them, hihihahahurrrp). At first sight (only) this website itself looks better then the avarage Thai site.

009_0.jpg

seyuhrth.jpg

So if i read correctly this creates jobs for 2 different government departments.

1. the ministry of education

and 2nd the ministry that goes over copyright infringement.

But of course copyright infringement is allowed in own ranks.But don't you dare to do it to a Thai organization.

Edited by basjke

I don't think that first photo is supposed to depict a stomache ache. The placement of her hand makes me think it's supposed to depict menstrual cramps. I haven't looked at the website, but maybe it also has something to do with STD's which can cause all kinds of problems in that region.

So if i read correctly this creates jobs for 2 different government departments.

But of course copyright infringement is allowed in own ranks.But don't you dare to do it to a Thai organization.

I don't say this ARE 'borrowed' copyrighted photo's, but it's defenitely not photo's they paid for, seen the terrible quality, and even there are free photostocks for non profit-use, they do not offer such poor crap. So guess they :) really have been cut from magazines and scanned, uploaded, or just Googled and misused by converting them the wrong way a 100 times.

Or, as Frank Sinatra once sung.... 'I do it my way' :D

hahaxm.png

Edited by ManilaLover

I don't say this ARE 'borrowed' copyrighted photo's, but it's defenitely not photo's they paid for, seen the terrible quality, and even there are free photostocks for non profit-use, they do not offer such poor crap. So guess they :) really have been cut from magazines and scanned, uploaded, or just Googled and misused by converting them the wrong way a 100 times.

Or, as Frank Sinatra once sung.... 'I do it my way' :D

hahaxm.png

Hmm or maybe "I did it Thai way"

พอพูดถึงการเรียนรู้เรื่องเพศในเด็กเล็กๆ พ่อแม่ก็มักจะกลัวว่าไม่เหมาะสม หรือเด็กเกินไปรอให้โตก่อนจะดีกว่า แต่คุณพ่อคุณแม่ทั้งหลายรู้ไหมว่า เดี๋ยวนี้ เดี๋ยวนี้ ยูเนสโก เขาแนะนำว่าควรเรียนรู้กันตั้งแต่อายุ 5 ... http://talkaboutsex.thaihealth.or.th/knowledge

Google translator

Paul comes to learning about sex in young children. Parents often fear that is not appropriate. Children too, or wait for better growth than before. My good man, but you all know that mothers now know UNESCO recommended that he should learn from each age 5.

Reason for edit - link added

Edited by Garry9999

พอพูดถึงการเรียนรู้เรื่องเพศในเด็กเล็กๆ พ่อแม่ก็มักจะกลัวว่าไม่เหมาะสม หรือเด็กเกินไปรอให้โตก่อนจะดีกว่า แต่คุณพ่อคุณแม่ทั้งหลายรู้ไหมว่า เดี๋ยวนี้ เดี๋ยวนี้ ยูเนสโก เขาแนะนำว่าควรเรียนรู้กันตั้งแต่อายุ 5 ... http://talkaboutsex.thaihealth.or.th/knowledge

Google translator

Paul comes to learning about sex in young children. Parents often fear that is not appropriate. Children too, or wait for better growth than before. My good man, but you all know that mothers now know UNESCO recommended that he should learn from each age 5.

Reason for edit - link added

I know Goog translate, it's 'soso' hehe.. interesting... can you have that text verified ? :)

Guess If we can get that whole website translated we'll have great laugh !

BREAKING NEWS 'Thai Sextalk Website Tackled By ThaiVisa Members'

Edited by ManilaLover

I think this is a good initiative. While obviously it doesn't look very informative, it's a step in the right direction. Sex education should not be discussing marriage or love. Thais should be learning about STD's, pregnancy, contraception and anatomy. These are things that I learned in middle school and feel that they are vital to know.

I think this is a good initiative. While obviously it doesn't look very informative, it's a step in the right direction. Sex education should not be discussing marriage or love. Thais should be learning about STD's, pregnancy, contraception and anatomy. These are things that I learned in middle school and feel that they are vital to know.

Totally agree with you but when TRUE manage to pixel out all the relevant 'bits' even in the documentaries about such things as childbirth or we have Channel 3 pixelating out some superstars far from ample cleavage it's an uphill climb.

If they would be clever they would not use a totally insane domainname like 'talkaboutsex.thaihealth.or.th' but just 'sextalkthai.com', if they really wanna reach the people.

Even more sensible if they used a Thai character domain name and then perhaps more people would know what it is about- maybe something like เซ็กส์คุย.com :)

Sadly, the 'official version' is hardly going to answer the questions that will pose the thorniest problems for youngsters, because they will touch on social problems that I doubt the government is going to be willing to address. It's easier to demonise sex.

But seen your nickname you've got a job to do ! :)