Idiot's Guide To Buying A New Car For A Family With 2 Kids

chrgrims

Camry is small?

WHAT?

Its a big car compared to the poxy corolla.

Go for a CRV or similar as you will find the extra access much more conducive to moving kids+nappies+strollers than any 4 door car.

Trouble is lifting the little buggas up into the seats of a taller vehicle.

thanks a lot kata, great post and very helpful.

Who told you that you need a new car? Your wife’s father or her brother? The Fortuner costs a fortune, you better buy milk for your two babies, (coming soon, hope you're really the producer that they're able to race...)

Why don’t you check online what’s best? I’d rather buy a Mitsubishi similar to the Fortuner. Good luck Chuck.

Some general remarks:

Good that you have rejected the hybrid. Takes 5 to 7 years to recover the cost of the premium paid for a hybrid after factoring the slight savings on fuel.

Diesel very good idea, especially if you're doing lots of highway travel. Diesels are so good now (quiet, efficient, low emissions, etc.) it's hard to justify hybrids and all their variations and claims.

The sport-utilities or pickups have surprisingly less room than a sedan. I don't know which generation of Camry they sell in Thailand, but in NorthAm they're so big now that they classify them as Large. They're like boats and parking will be a pain in the city.

Other posters have good suggestions: wait until after you have the kids in hand, then decide. Never mind the cruising speed. Check whether cars in LOS are equipped with baby chair LATCH system (Google it, since TV strips out URLs). Also factor in proper child seats.

Good luck.

Some general remarks:

Good that you have rejected the hybrid. Takes 5 to 7 years to recover the cost of the premium paid for a hybrid after factoring the slight savings on fuel.

Diesel very good idea, especially if you're doing lots of highway travel. Diesels are so good now (quiet, efficient, low emissions, etc.) it's hard to justify hybrids and all their variations and claims.

The sport-utilities or pickups have surprisingly less room than a sedan. I don't know which generation of Camry they sell in Thailand, but in NorthAm they're so big now that they classify them as Large. They're like boats and parking will be a pain in the city.

Other posters have good suggestions: wait until after you have the kids in hand, then decide. Never mind the cruising speed. Check whether cars in LOS are equipped with baby chair LATCH system (Google it, since TV strips out URLs). Also factor in proper child seats.

Good luck.

camry 2,4 Hybrid and camry 2,4 gas only sells at the same price in LOS due to heavy tax reduction for Hybrid. Still disadvantages like small trunk and possibly high running costs when 3 years warranty expires.

Fortuner has more space in rear seat and trunk than Camry, besides it seats 7 when needed, but seating 7 reduces trunk volume. Fortuner is shorter overall than camry, making it easier to park. diesel provides great torque, similar hp and great milage.

Just to add my two pennies worth - I have two kids, a 2 year old and a 2 month old and in my opinion you really can't go wrong with a fortuner. The 3.0 diesel is a fantastic engine and the build quality is the best for the money...

What you need to bear in mind is it's not just your kids you'll be driving about - My two year old has just started play group and of course she's started making friends - the option of having 7 seats with seatbelts becomes really handy, believe me.

The Toyotas do hold their value - that's a good thing isn't it? When it comes to re-selling you won't lose too much and as they are popular they sell pretty quick... I wouldn't touch an Isuzu or Hyundai myself (for the reason that neither will a dealer unless they are getting it for a substantial discount)...

I've been given the choice of new SUVs for my next company car and I'm just about to take delivery of another Fortuner - having had one for the last few years it was an easy choice. My 2006 model is up for sale (check the classifieds) and there's plenty of others about for the same sort of money if not less. If it was my own money I'd be keeping it - these motors go on and on, just look at the sport riders - A good mate of mine has had the same one for nearly twenty years, 650,000km on the clock and still going strong!!!

I'm not saying buy my Fortuner but certainly don't overlook them just because they are popular - there's a very good reason for it! Anything based on the old hilux is a winner in my book - any UK top gear fans who saw the abuse that old hilux took will agree!!! Dropped it from a crane, left it on the beach on a low tide to be washed out to sea, stuck it on a tower block and blew it up...and the motor still started!!!

Congrats on the twins - double the trouble, twice the fun!

was in pitsanulok yesterday. some interesting info: wish isnt even available from the dealer, and wont be in the future. innova is not available for test, only on order.

we went to some second hand stores. found 2 wish, both 2005. both sell at 760 000 bath. wish looks great, no diesel though.

we havent made any decisions, still gathering info, especially from ppl like sisaket. your advice is compelling: dont buy a new car because the twins are not yours and because they will eat too much. hmmm, my wife got pregnant at a child clinic, but now i am quite sure the doctor is the father. and your food advice makes me really nervous, can i really afford food for 2 (t-w-o) kids??? i think not. sisaket, thank you so much, i will take your advice and not buy a new car. i will also sell the car we have and go buy artificial milk.

was in pitsanulok yesterday. some interesting info: wish isnt even available from the dealer, and wont be in the future. innova is not available for test, only on order.

we went to some second hand stores. found 2 wish, both 2005. both sell at 760 000 bath. wish looks great, no diesel though.

we havent made any decisions, still gathering info, especially from ppl like sisaket. your advice is compelling: dont buy a new car because the twins are not yours and because they will eat too much. hmmm, my wife got pregnant at a child clinic, but now i am quite sure the doctor is the father. and your food advice makes me really nervous, can i really afford food for 2 (t-w-o) kids??? i think not. sisaket, thank you so much, i will take your advice and not buy a new car. i will also sell the car we have and go buy artificial milk.

great post,

thats a lot of milk :):D:D

good luck finding your family car :D