Australian Rules Football

Aussie Rules  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Australian Rules season is about to kick off again in 4 weeks and it has been a long 6 months. As a Saints supporter I have almost completed my extensive therapy and looking forward to another huge year. I predict a saints/bulldogs grandfinal this year.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted to watch Hawthorn & Richmond on Saturday night and went to the Aussie bar & bbq on soi 11. Didnt have the Australian network showing and was told its wasn't working and they aren't going to spend the money to fix it! An Aussie bar that won't show Aussie footy?????

Wanted to watch Hawthorn & Richmond on Saturday night and went to the Aussie bar & bbq on soi 11. Didnt have the Australian network showing and was told its wasn't working and they aren't going to spend the money to fix it! An Aussie bar that won't show Aussie footy?????

That is shameful from something that calls itself the Aussie bar. If don't show aussie sports how can they truely be an aussie bar. I bet it is not even owned by aussies.

Please post if Aussie Rules ever makes it back to Thai television. It used to be on and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. I am an American and a big American football fan and there are a few players in our league that come from Aussie Rules. The two sports are not that different to where fans of one cannot enjoy the other. The key is to be able to watch it season after season as I have no idea who the teams are in this poll. I do know it is a great sport to watch.

Please post if Aussie Rules ever makes it back to Thai television. It used to be on and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. I am an American and a big American football fan and there are a few players in our league that come from Aussie Rules. The two sports are not that different to where fans of one cannot enjoy the other. The key is to be able to watch it season after season as I have no idea who the teams are in this poll. I do know it is a great sport to watch.

It is on T.V here at the moment. On The Australian Network currently showing 2 - 3 pre season games per week. Just a comp to wet the appetite. Yes you are talking about players like rocca and such get to maybe the age of 29 and worn out for aussie rules.

If you do not know the teams in the poll simply pick one to support and sit back and see what happens. Will give you a clue as to who to pick, Geelong been in the last 3 grand finals (Super bowl) won 2, Getting old. St Kilda been pressing and showing form the last few years. ( lost just 2 games last year and 2nd in the super bowl) Bulldogs have been knocking on the door for 3 years. The rest of the pack well they make up the numbers.

My personal choice is the Saints.

4:59 PM Sat 20 February, 2010STALLIONS, Pride, Rangers and Giants are the early contenders as the AFL's 18th club widens its search for a name.

Team Greater Western Sydney has called for public help in choosing a new team name, along with the club's colours.

Fans are invited to vote online on the above four proposals, but can also submit their own names.

Inaugural coach Kevin Sheedy will launch the campaign at Blacktown Olympic Park on Saturday night. A sell-out crowd of 10,000 is expected for the first elite AFL match at the venue, with the Sydney Swans hosting Carlton in the first round of the NAB Cup.

"Right from the start of we have made it clear that we want to build a club which is truly representative of this great community," Sheedy said. "What better way is there for the people of Greater Western Sydney and all of our supporters to help build this club than by helping shaping its name and identity?"

Western Sydney will join the TAC Cup Under-18 competition in 2010, ahead of its planned debut in the AFL in 2012.

What's in a name? The thinking behind Team GWS's four proposals

• Giants - embodies the size, strength and power of west Sydney
  • Stallions - fast moving, powerful and impressive - just like west Sydney
  • Rangers - adventurous people from where the plains meet the mountains.
  • Pride - a region with lots to be proud of (including its new AFL team)

Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

4:59 PM Sat 20 February, 2010STALLIONS, Pride, Rangers and Giants are the early contenders as the AFL's 18th club widens its search for a name.

Team Greater Western Sydney has called for public help in choosing a new team name, along with the club's colours.

Fans are invited to vote online on the above four proposals, but can also submit their own names.

Inaugural coach Kevin Sheedy will launch the campaign at Blacktown Olympic Park on Saturday night. A sell-out crowd of 10,000 is expected for the first elite AFL match at the venue, with the Sydney Swans hosting Carlton in the first round of the NAB Cup.

"Right from the start of we have made it clear that we want to build a club which is truly representative of this great community," Sheedy said. "What better way is there for the people of Greater Western Sydney and all of our supporters to help build this club than by helping shaping its name and identity?"

Western Sydney will join the TAC Cup Under-18 competition in 2010, ahead of its planned debut in the AFL in 2012.

Fans can vote or submit suggestions at www.nametheteam.com.au.

Fans can vote or submit suggestions at www.nametheteam.com.au.

I personally believe that 18 teams is to many and I think it is going to be at the expense of a couple of Melbourne teams like Richmond and North Melbourne. Football is now a huge corporate business.

In relation to these proposed names I don't like any of them. I think West Sydney will probably fold after a few yrs or be relocated to Tasmania.

It is on T.V here at the moment. On The Australian Network currently showing 2 - 3 pre season games per week. Just a comp to wet the appetite. Yes you are talking about players like rocca and such get to maybe the age of 29 and worn out for aussie rules.

If you do not know the teams in the poll simply pick one to support and sit back and see what happens. Will give you a clue as to who to pick, Geelong been in the last 3 grand finals (Super bowl) won 2, Getting old. St Kilda been pressing and showing form the last few years. ( lost just 2 games last year and 2nd in the super bowl) Bulldogs have been knocking on the door for 3 years. The rest of the pack well they make up the numbers.

I don't get the Australian Network on Truevision (formerly UBC). I see it in some of the hotels from time to time, but not on my TV.

BTW, there are a number of Australians (and other nationalities) playing in the NFL (American football), but unless they get interviewed, we rarely know where they come from. For example, Mat McBriar who is Dallas' punter, is from Melbourne. He never played Aussie Rules, but when there is a lot of money to be made, players come from all over.

I did get a much higher respect of Aussie Rules players several years ago when I saw a special on kickers in the NFL. They interviewed several Aussie players in the NFL that were holders for our kickers. It seems that when our kickers switched over to soccer style from straight on, our holders didn't know to hold the ball on an angle. Somewhere someone picked up on that Aussie Rules players can do this better so they were brought in. Now, there is never a kick on any level of American football where the ball is not held on an angle.

OK, I will pull for Geelong, primarily because I have been to Geelong several times.

I don't get the Australian Network on Truevision (formerly UBC). I see it in some of the hotels from time to time, but not on my TV.

BTW, there are a number of Australians (and other nationalities) playing in the NFL (American football), but unless they get interviewed, we rarely know where they come from. For example, Mat McBriar who is Dallas' punter, is from Melbourne. He never played Aussie Rules, but when there is a lot of money to be made, players come from all over.

I did get a much higher respect of Aussie Rules players several years ago when I saw a special on kickers in the NFL. They interviewed several Aussie players in the NFL that were holders for our kickers. It seems that when our kickers switched over to soccer style from straight on, our holders didn't know to hold the ball on an angle. Somewhere someone picked up on that Aussie Rules players can do this better so they were brought in. Now, there is never a kick on any level of American football where the ball is not held on an angle.

OK, I will pull for Geelong, primarily because I have been to Geelong several times.

Well maybe a top 3 choice but not a good one but good luck.

about 6mths back i went to aussie bar in bkk as i felt like a meat pie.........what a mistake they just put it in the microwave and gave it to me all soggy!!! not a good advertisement, I saw the chef walk past and he was farang and the boss seemed farang too, the coke was crap too, i wont be going back!!

ST KILDA will be go into Saturday's NAB Cup semi-final clash against Fremantle without the services of its All-Australian skipper Nick Riewoldt.

Riewoldt, who the Saints have opted to rest for the match, will be joined on the sidelines by another 2009 All-Australian Brendon Goddard. The Saints' defensive general is also being rested allowing for the inclusion of young guns Tom Lynch and Will Johnson. Defender Leigh Fisher has also been named.

Fremantle has brought in skipper Matthew Pavlich and midfielder Paul Hasleby to the side that defeated North Melbourne last week. The pair were rested after the win over Melbourne in week one of the NAB Cup.

Small forward Hayden Ballantyne has been rested after an impressive start to his 2010 campaign.

Will Minson has been included in the Western Bulldogs squad to take on Port Adelaide in this week’s NAB Cup semi-final.

Minson hasn’t played since he was poisoned by a bad batch of soy milk over summer. He will take Ben Hudson’s spot as first ruckman.

Hudson and Daniel Giansiracusa have been rested from the side that defeated Hawthorn and Brad Johnson will have to wait at least one more week as he recovers from a calf-related achilles injury.

Jay Nash has been dropped from the Port Adelaide side that knocked off West Coast last week. Josh Carr, Daniel Motlop and Hamish Hartlett will also miss out.

Just watch the mighty Bulldogs with big Bazza down forward.

They are super fit, have bulked up, some of the new recruits are real quality players.

Don't forget they only lost to St Kilda in last year's prelim by seven points with some very questionable umpiring decisions.

There is a real air of excitement around the club at the moment. Granted, there is at most clubs but Bulldog fans are justifiably looking forward to a great year.

Is anyone on the board organising a tipping comp this season?

Just watch the mighty Bulldogs with big Bazza down forward.

They are super fit, have bulked up, some of the new recruits are real quality players.

Don't forget they only lost to St Kilda in last year's prelim by seven points with some very questionable umpiring decisions.

There is a real air of excitement around the club at the moment. Granted, there is at most clubs but Bulldog fans are justifiably looking forward to a great year.

Is anyone on the board organising a tipping comp this season?

Even tho I am a die hard saints fan I have to agree with you. The dogs really are looking the goods and big bad Barry was a good pick up, he still has a couple of years left in him even tho he is now 32. Will watch the game here on the Australian network with great interest.

I think the dogs and saints will play off this year and what a grand final that will be. Was hoping for the dogs/saints g/f last year but the cards didn't fall right. The cats have had thier years and will be up there but won't be the cats of old.

Not sure how to organise a tipping comp on here but I am sure it can be done.

I have a league running in the dreamteam comp on the AFL website and currently have 7 expats or aussies competing everyone is invited to jump on board and join the league for a bit of fun. The league code is 398376

TCloke_six_of_best_246g.jpg

• ADELAIDE
    HF: Jason Porplyzia, Trent Hentschel, Richard Douglas
    F: Taylor Walker, Kurt Tippett, Jared Petrenko
    Adelaide's forward line has been decimated by injury since the Christmas break, with Brett Burton (knee), Chris Knights (foot) and Jason Porplyzia (pelvis) all in doubt for the season-opener against Fremantle. The Crows' casualties have opened the door for fringe players Douglas and Petrenko to cast themselves as opportunist small forwards. Walker has guaranteed his position after a solid pre-season and Tippett and Hentschel will return to hold down the key posts. Coach Neil Craig is also likely to rotate midfielders Scott Thompson and Patrick Dangerfield through the forward 50.

BRISBANE LIONS

HF: Justin Sherman, Jonathan Brown, Michael Rischitelli

F: James Polkinghorne, Brendan Fevola, Amon Buchanan

All eyes will be on the Brown-Fevola double act, with others likely to play crumbing roles to the colossal pair in 2010. Sherman has shown his running power through the midfield but his love of a goal might see him snapping at Brown's heels around half-forward, while Rischitelli was also used across that part of the ground last season. Polkinghorne showed glimpses of his talent late last year and, along with recruit Buchanan, could be an ideal candidate to swoop on anything Brown or Fevola don't snaffle. Former Eagle Brent Staker will be right in the mix for round one as well.

CARLTON

HF: Mitch Robinson, Setanta O'hAilpin, Andrew Walker

F: Chris Yarran, Lachie Henderson, Eddie Betts

The coach loves the competitive spirit of Robinson and O'hAilpin with the goal sense of Betts and Yarran to come to the fore when the ball hits the ground. By all accounts, Henderson has shown the Blues' hierarchy enough to earn first crack at the full-forward slot vacated by Brendan Fevola. Walker, Betts and Ryan Houlihan have worked hard since their return from a club-imposed ban with Houlihan the only one to miss out on a senior berth in round one. There's been a lot of talk about Shaun Hampson up forward this year, but he will fight it out with Robbie Warnock for the second big man spot on the bench.

COLLINGWOOD

HF: Leon Davis, Travis Cloke, Alan Didak

F: Paul Medhurst, John Anthony, Tarkyn Lockyer

The Collingwood attack will again be built upon Cloke's young shoulders, while the Pies' small goalkicking options are where they can really hurt teams. Davis, Didak and particularly Medhurst will all play close to goal at times and are each capable of kicking a bag. Lockyer can not only be called on to nab a couple of majors a week, but his ability to spot up a target inside the 50 is priceless. Anthony will start at full-forward providing his shoulder has recovered in time for the season proper, although Chris Dawes and Leigh Brown are other options deep in attack.

ESSENDON

HF: Angus Monfries, Scott Gumbleton, Jason Winderlich

F: Mark Williams, David Hille, Alwyn Davey

Mystery continues to surround Gumbleton. Is he in the 18, 22, or simply not suited to elite football? If he's fit for round one, there will be little doubt he'll start on the park. As Hille rebuilds match fitness, he's likely to spend more time forward. Davey and Williams will provide options at ground level while goalkickers Monfries and Winderlich will rotate between the forward arc and the midfield. Jay Neagle could fight for a starting position come round one but Leroy Jetta will miss the start of the season with a thumb injury. Darcy Daniher could be yet another option after a strong performance in attack in a practice match.

FREMANTLE

HF: Des Headland, Matthew Pavlich, Nick Suban

F: Hayden Ballantyne, Michael Johnson, Chris Mayne

Injuries forced Fremantle to use Pavlich in the midfield in 2009, but the skipper will anchor the forward line this season. Johnson has made a positive start to his anticipated move forward during the NAB Cup, while Ballantyne and Mayne have been productive and energetic goal sneaks. Headland's early pre-season form in an attacking role was undone by a minor hamstring injury, but Fremantle is hopeful he will be fit for round one. The retired Dean Solomon has left a hole on the other flank, but young midfielder Nick Suban could be an asset forward of centre with his damaging left boot

Edited by moetownblues

GEELONG

HF: Max Rooke, Cameron Mooney, Steve Johnson

F: Paul Chapman, Tom Hawkins, Shannon Byrnes

Any forward line that boasts Chapman and Johnson is dangerous to begin with, but add grand final hero Rooke, triple premiership player Mooney and young giant Hawkins into the mix and you've got options aplenty. Johnson kicked 37 goals in the first 13 games last year, and appears to be well over the hip complaint that grounded him after that. Chapman booted three in the grand final to win the Norm Smith and was All-Australian, while Hawkins has trimmed down and looks set to build on last year's solid effort.

HAWTHORN

HF: Luke Hodge, Jarryd Roughead, Beau Muston

F: Campbell Brown, Beau Dowler, Jarryd Morton

The Hawthorn forward line is hard to piece together due to a series of injuries and suspensions. The two obvious absentees are Lance Franklin, who has a one-week ban to serve, as well as Cyril Rioli, who has had an interrupted summer and seems in serious doubt for round one. Brown is just as likely to start in defence but he has ventured forward in the past. Hodge is sure to be rotated through the midfield but will spend time as a half-forward this year. Muston and Dowler could get their chance to cement regular spots while Morton should lift for his fourth season.

MELBOURNE

HF: Brad Green, Brad Miller, Colin Sylvia

F: Addam Maric, Liam Jurrah, Ricky Petterd

With Matthew Bate, Jack Watts and Austin Wonaeamirri in doubt for round one due to injury, Melbourne may re-jig its forward line with a smaller set-up. Miller and Jurrah will be the taller types, with versatile big man Stef Martin another option on the bench. Green and Sylvia are likely to push inside 50 to help with goalkicking options; Maric has been earmarked for a small forward post. And with Petterd kicking four goals against Essendon in Saturday's NAB Challenge loss, he now looks to have secured the sixth spot here.

NORTH MELBOURNE

HF: Daniel Wells, Lachlan Hansen, Brent Harvey

F: Ben Warren, David Hale, Lindsay Thomas

Drew Petrie has a two-week suspension hanging from last season, so the mobile Hansen will be considered for a temporary switch from defence. Harvey will play as a high half-forward for most of 2010 but will still be used in the square at centre bounces. Wells' conservative yet promising recovery from osteitis pubis means he'll play in round one but could start as deep as a forward pocket. Warren has Corey Jones and Aaron Edwards covered as the third marking forward, while Hale will need to deliver immediately if he has a future in the key position. North must surround him with Thomas and other crumbing teammates.

PORT ADELAIDE

HF: Robbie Gray, Justin Westhoff, Daniel Motlop

F: Jay Schulz, Warren Tredrea, Brett Ebert

Port Adelaide's impressive pre-season has created a fierce battle for spots in the forward line. Veterans Tredrea and Motlop are walk-up starters for round one, as is versatile tall Westhoff who is likely to pinch-hit in the ruck. Gray will also time-share between the midfield and half-forward. Schulz has impressed in attack since crossing from Richmond and should edge out Daniel Stewart for the third tall position. Ebert and rookie Cameron Hitchcock are locked in a battle for the small forward spot. Booming right-footer Nick Salter also deserves a chance, but this might come in defence.

RICHMOND

HF: Ben Cousins, Jack Riewoldt, Richard Tambling

F: Mitch Morton, Graham Polak, Robin Nahas

Don't expect this structure to produce a million goals this season, but do expect it to keep improving as it has done for the last couple of years. It's lost the firepower of Matthew Richardson to retirement, but mature-age rookie Polak should be one of two rookies that Richmond, with no veterans, can elevate ahead of round one. Polak has turned the corner over summer and has his marking mojo back. Tambling and Nahas both had terrific seasons in 2009 and will be hoping to revisit that form, while Cousins is the class every forward line needs. Morton and Riewoldt seem permanent fixtures.

ST KILDA

HF: Brendon Goddard, Nick Riewoldt, Nick Dal Santo

F: Adam Schneider, Justin Koschitzke, Stephen Milne

Mutterings from Moorabbin suggest Goddard and Dal Santo are both set for stints across half-forward when they are not in midfield rotations. Riewoldt is a no-brainer while Schneider and Milne have the small forward spots sewn up with Andrew McQualter waiting in the wings. James Gwilt is also a candidate for a mid-sized forward role. Koschitzke is an interesting one. He is still the Saints' second best tall forward but has been patchy in the pre-season and will be more than aware that the athletic Rhys Stanley hasn't put a foot wrong.

SYDNEY SWANS

HF: Lewis Jetta, Adam Goodes, Ben McGlynn

F: Trent Dennis-Lane, Jesse White, Jarred Moore

Goodes' permanent move to centre half-forward headlines the Swans' new-look attack in 2010. Former Lion Daniel Bradshaw (knee) is in considerable doubt for round one so White will start at full-forward against St Kilda at ANZ Stadium. Hard-nosed pair Moore and McGlynn will add defensive steel around the packs, while Dennis-Lane can play as a medium-sized marking option or a crumber. Watch for Jetta to play as a de facto wingman with a licence to use his blistering pace. Expect ruckmen Shane Mumford and Mark Seaby to rest inside 50, while Paul Bevan has also put a strong case for his inclusion in the 22 as a high half-forward.

WEST COAST

HF: Andrew Embley, Josh Kennedy, Brad Ebert

F: Mark LeCras, Quinten Lynch, Ben McKinley

There's plenty of excitement surrounding Kennedy, and the former Blue should establish himself as West Coast's main target this season. Lynch will return to a permanent forward role, while McKinley provides versatility as the third tall. LeCras was the Eagles' leading goalkicker in 2009 and he is expected to stay forward, while a host of midfielders - most prominently Embley and Ebert - will rotate through attack. Coach John Worsfold has hinted he will also use Daniel Kerr and Chris Masten forward at times, while premiership half-back Beau Waters looks likely to shift up the ground. With Dean Cox and Nic Naitanui working in tandem, the Eagles will also boast a dangerous resting ruckman.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

HF: Daniel Giansiracusa, Rob Murphy, Shaun Higgins

F: Brad Johnson, Barry Hall, Jason Akermanis

Hall made a stunning six-goal debut in the NAB Cup semi-final and showed that when he's not marking the ball, he'll be bringing it to ground for players like Johnson (if he overcomes an achilles injury before round one) and Akermanis (who looks good in his 16th season). Higgins and Giansiracusa should provide run into attack and Murphy will add the x-factor with his creative skills. Mitch Hahn is in the best 22 while Josh Hill needs to improve his consistency this year to be considered a certain starter. Liam Jones might debut in 2010 but Jarrad Grant needs more work

If last year’s final series is anything to go by, this weekend’s NAB Cup Grand Final is set to be a nail-bighting match between the Saints and the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium. After only narrowly beating the Bulldogs to get through to the 2009 AFL Grand Final, Saints backman Jason Blake, says his side is ready for a challenging match this weekend.

“(We’re) really excited about playing in a big game against quality opposition. We had some great battles last year, and they’re flying at the moment, so we’re really looking forward to testing ourselves.”

With both teams proving the strength of their squad during the pre-season tournament, Blake admits that winning on the weekend will be a great way for the boys to start the season proper in 2010.

“Obviously we’re there to win and it can give us some momentum for during the season. The NAB Cup’s all about preparing ourselves for Round 1, and for the season.”

When asked who will play on in-form Bulldogs recruit Barry Hall, Blake didn’t rule himself out of playing on the tough full-forward but also mentioned Zac Dawson and Sam Fisher as possible opponents.

“He’s (Hall’s) obviously a quality player and we’ve come up against him before so we’ll definitely go about it again the same way we did beforehand.”

“(The Bulldog’s) have been great, their work without the ball has been fantastic and it’s really good to watch. It will be a great test for everyone to equal their effort and really compete.”

After being a late withdrawal from Saturday night’s Semi Final clash against Fremantle due to minor back tightness, Blake is hoping to get through a solid week of training to be included in the NAB Cup Grand Final squad. Other players expected to return include Captain Nick Riewoldt and Brendon Goddard, however the squad will likely be without Lenny Hayes who received a corked calf on Saturday night.

“I think Roo (Riewoldt) and BJ (Goddard) will be back this week. I think it will be our best 22, of who is available. (The match) is very important as our final game before Round 1, to really get our preparation ready.

Looks like Benny's in the shit again...

It's getting hard to say yes to Ben

ONE year has passed since Ben Cousins made his debut for the Richmond Football Club in front of a highly charged, almost sold-out MCG. The anticipation was fever pitch in the days that led up to that game, which will go down in football history as one of the AFL's more memorable anti-climaxes.

Remember the feeling beforehand though? Former Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy had returned to Tigerland and led the push to recruit Cousins. He told the players at the heavily attended guernsey presentation that they could steal a premiership and Richmond was tipped by many to make the eight.

Cousins was under financial duress and had enlisted the support of AFL Players Association boss Brendon Gale to call off what was apparently becoming, for him, untenable tabloid media scrutiny. Then he decided that rather than beat them, he would join them and, under the guidance of manager Ricky Nixon, he became a ghosted newspaper columnist.

It all fell apart for Richmond on that chilly MCG autumn night when Cousins tore a hamstring. Coach Terry Wallace never recovered from the humiliation and the Tigers, after a number of micro-skirmishes, took a deep breath and realised they must once again start all over - dramatically but effectively this time.

Gale is now their CEO, Sheedy has moved on and Nixon, after a bitter financial falling out with the player he fought to resurrect, no longer does Cousins' bidding. He also has blamed Cousins' drinking on the split. Wallace has been banished and has all but disappeared from the AFL landscape and Richmond has placed its faith in his diametric opposite in Damien Hardwick.

Twelve months on, as Hardwick attempts to transform the Richmond Football Club from a team scorned for its selfishness, skill and lack of four-quarter commitment into a hard, respected and perhaps, one day, even feared playing group, it is worth examining once again whether Richmond did the right thing in backing itself to back Ben Cousins. My answer one year ago was yes. Today it is no.

Despite a carefully-worded denial released by the club several days ago key figures within the club continue to confirm that the Tigers have been provoked on more than one occasion over the past year to warn Cousins to curb his drinking. There is no shadow of doubt he has over-indulged in alcohol on too many occasions since going to Tigerland and no shadow of doubt that something went horribly wrong for him pre-Christmas.

Although the club denies he ever ''went missing'' during the off-season, there were many nervous moments and the club would not want to endure another summer like the one just gone where a long-term and, hopefully, recovering drug addict is concerned. It was confirmed again several days ago that Cousins was told some three months ago to lift his game where the pre-season was concerned.

The club remains mystified regarding Cousins' stomach illness, which has seen him hospitalised twice over the past 10 days. Although no one has ever suggested binge drinking led to the illness, it is beyond doubt that drug addicts should not over-indulge in alcohol. Richmond keeps a close eye on Cousins' activities and there have been too many dubious sightings for anyone's comfort.

The good news is that towards the end of the week the player himself was "training the house down'' and could still shape up for Thursday night's season-opener. His form last season over 15 games earned him a top-five finish in Richmond's best and fairest and the players have certainly talked up, on occasion, Cousins' work ethic on the track and his superb example where on-field skill and decision-making are concerned.

It is not Cousins' fault that 2009 went pear-shaped for the club. In fact, Andrew Demetriou described him at one point as a great source of pride for Richmond in an otherwise dreadful year. It is less certain what Demetriou thinks now and certainly both the AFL and the Tigers have had a gutful of the speculation surrounding the documentary, the book, the gangland connections, the happenings that may or may not have taken place in Thailand last summer, the constant meetings with AFL doctor Harry Unglick and all the baggage that continues to cling to this troubled man.

Cousins' off-field battles and the recent controversies are not in themselves enough to mount an argument that the club might have been better off without him. And who knows what his freakish talent can produce this season? But surely there is some lingering doubt as to whether he is the best example for a very young group of players.

This is not to suggest that Cousins is directly a bad influence because he remains by all reports a relatively solitary member of the playing group where social activity is concerned. But surely the fact that he is treated so differently to any other player and operates under a different set of rules is not helpful as Hardwick fights to eradicate the long-standing culture of division and selfishness at Richmond.

It was a far more subdued season launch two days ago compared with the fanfare of 2009. Premiership talk had been replaced by the new Tiger buzz word ''transformation'' and Hardwick spoke quietly, but convincingly, about his conservative hopes and assurances for 2010.

As a group, the players looked frighteningly young with thirtysomethings Cousins and Troy Simmons lifting the average in what could prove their final seasons.

Certainly, if you asked Richmond now, it would say that this is most likely Cousins' last year in the AFL. The structure of a home-and-away football season and a more generous and still bonus-driven playing contract is hopefully just what the doctor ordered.

That at least provides the short-term solution.

The Age