Hertz เฮิรตซ์

Anatoli

Hi,

How do you pronounce เฮิรตซ์ - hertz (unit of frequency)? If possible, can you use the same romanisation style as in Online Thai translation & transliteration website (I am not allowed to post links). The word exists there but for some reason it doesn't show the pronunciation.

This is advanced vocab for me in Thai but I am working on a multilingual project (Wiktionary), which includes Thai.

Hi, Thai2English.com (I think you're referring to this website) would romanise เฮิรตซ์ as hêrt under their system.

Technically speaking, it is not a transliteration (as the site claims) but a broad phonetic transcription - it's based on the spoken language rather than the written structure. But maybe it is a transliteration in layman's terms!

Edited by Thewayup

It's pronounced [เฮิ้ด] -- like "hert" without the r, long vowel and high tone.

For the record, it's words like this that are thai2english.com's weak suit, since its romanization is auto-generated based on standard Thai reading rules. Since this word is a loan from English it has irregular pronunciation, following an implicit set of rules for loanwords that is different from regular reading rules.