Red Lion

likite

I visit the Red Lion once a flood………… i.e……………. not often. I went the other day and had a couple of pints. Enjoyable……………yes, I mean very enjoyable. Before anybody starts I don’t know Kevin and he doesn’t know me. I chatted to him around a year ago and that’s it.

But I have to give credit where it’s due, he is making great strides to making this a place to visit. It was clean and the service was quick and friendly. Maybe he wants his sponsorship of Thai Visa to pay off I don’t know, but why not? It works for me.

It seems to me Kevin wants a place that can offer tourists and expats alike a place where they get have a pleasant experience. I have to say that strikes a note for me. So many similar pubs/restaurants make a show of hospitality but the owners don’t really give a monkey’s what happens after that, but they like to think they are doing us a favour. Some places spring to mind but I’m not going to mention them.

I liked the Red Lion 5 years ago and I still like it now. Now there is something for rival establishments to think about.

Nice post.

I'll offer a second.

Red Lion has become one of my favorites in Chiangmai.

Was in just last week -- can report the bangers & mash was up to it's usual standard.

Service is comfortably slow, but, what I like is the food always comes hot.

The Thai manager, Miss Ghing, keeps on eye on everything, so even at the busy times, things run smoothly.

Like the OP, I'm not friends with the owner, although I have chatted with him a few times.

Rather HE has chatted to me -- as with most publicans, it's not a two-way conversation.

Red Lion is notable for being a remarkably riff-raff-free zone.

Not totally free, but very few compared to other bars/pubs closer to the Moonmuang Road.

Could be because prices at the RL are above rock bottom, and slightly higher prices are better than any signs for keeping out the riff-raff.

It's a fine pub for locals and visitors alike.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Me three!

I just came to Chiang Mai two weeks ago, and I have already been to the Red Lion several times. I find it fantastic! I can't even find the words to describe how enthusiastic I am about the bar (probably because English is not my first language), but I get giddy and excited just thinking about it!

The staff has been friendly and attentive, the food I had the other day was very good, and the five Bombay gin and tonics I had for an aperitif were even better.

It's BRILLIIAAAANT!!!

But I would say that, because I'm Kevin's bestest mate in the whole world, and I drink for free there.

jani

(No, not really)

Me three!

I just came to Chiang Mai two weeks ago, and I have already been to the Red Lion several times. I find it fantastic! I can't even find the words to describe how enthusiastic I am about the bar (probably because English is not my first language), but I get giddy and excited just thinking about it!

The staff has been friendly and attentive, the food I had the other day was very good, and the five Bombay gin and tonics I had for an aperitif were even better.

It's BRILLIIAAAANT!!!

But I would say that, because I'm Kevin's bestest mate in the whole world, and I drink for free there.

jani

(No, not really)

How much for a stubbie of Chang?

I enjoy a pint in the RL too. just one point: 'Miss Ging' as you describe her, would probably be a bit miffed at being called the manager : she is very much the owner as I'm sure Kevin would be quick to concede!!!

Just a point: I've got a pub too and i know my wife has a clear sense of who she is!!

I enjoy a pint in the RL too. just one point: 'Miss Ging' as you describe her, would probably be a bit miffed at being called the manager : she is very much the owner as I'm sure Kevin would be quick to concede!!!

Just a point: I've got a pub too and i know my wife has a clear sense of who she is!!

All power to her 'Miss Ging' if thats true..............she can run a farang pub better than many farang can ............so it seems.

Me three!

It's BRILLIIAAAANT!!!

jani

(No, not really)

How much for a stubbie of Chang?

I assume a "stubbie" is a small bottle. I have no idea what that costs. The Bombay tonics were 100 b each IIRC.

Worth every satang. Just look at it:

20100213152459_260123.jpg

Edited by jkfkr