How's The Public Transport To Airport ?

healthcaretaker

It's not a problem residents have to deal with but I can only presume that your hotel/guest house will be able to arrange transport.

Failing that the tuktuks/songtaews at the old bus station and in the main street would oblige. These would be the cheapest, I'd imaging about 100B could be negotiated.

I'd allow 30 minutes to get to the airport from the city centre, it shouldn't take that long though, then an hour for check in.

It's not a problem residents have to deal with but I can only presume that your hotel/guest house will be able to arrange transport.

Failing that the tuktuks/songtaews at the old bus station and in the main street would oblige. These would be the cheapest, I'd imaging about 100B could be negotiated.

I'd allow 30 minutes to get to the airport from the city centre, it shouldn't take that long though, then an hour for check in.

cheapest way is to hop the 552 which runs down Sukhumvit to Suvarnabumi...it takes about an hour and i believe costs around 24 baht max. It runs from 6am. Barring that, there is a minivan which runs from the On Nut BTS station that costs 25 baht and takes about 45 minutes.

Now we've established which airport OP is talking about, I can add that when I arrived in CR taxi to Moon and Sun hotel was Bt200, (picking up g/f at the end of the dual carriageway road out of the airport as that was the closest she could get by public transport) return journey I drove myself but I would imagine Bt200 would be the going rate in that direction too. That was on 14th Jan this year.

Enjoy :)

Now we've established which airport OP is talking about, I can add that when I arrived in CR taxi to Moon and Sun hotel was Bt200, (picking up g/f at the end of the dual carriageway road out of the airport as that was the closest she could get by public transport) return journey I drove myself but I would imagine Bt200 would be the going rate in that direction too. That was on 14th Jan this year.

Enjoy :)

Thanks but I asked about town centre to the airport.

That would be the taxi you get at the airport desk Biff?

They seem to have a monopoly there, I've never seen any cheaper form of transport waiting outside the terminal.

Yes it was at the desk. They do seem to have it sewn up. Having said that, I thought Bt200 was reasonable to town. Last time the missus arrived from Bangkok she asked about a taxi to Chiang Saen and was quoted Bt2,000!!! (she took the bus). But the airport does seem badly served by public transport. I suppose it's a fairly quiet airport and those travelling will make their own arrangements, but I was surprised that there didn't seem to be any buses at all.

I suppose 200B is more than reasonable in international terms.

It's amazing how kee neuw we get after a few years in Thailand, in my former home city the airport/city run would be less the half the distance we travel here and a taxi fare would be about $30 (AUD).

I suppose 200B is more than reasonable in international terms.

It's amazing how kee neuw we get after a few years in Thailand, in my former home city the airport/city run would be less the half the distance we travel here and a taxi fare would be about $30 (AUD).

Not sure if it's kee neuw, more being accustomed to the cost of things. But I'm very aware that I compare prices to those I'm used to in the UK and Bt200 (£4) is the minimum fare in a mini-cab and the price of a single journey on the tube. I suppose it's not too bad in Thai terms considering that any passengers will have paid Bt1000 or more for their 'plane ticket. Not sure how much of that the driver got as I paid the people at the desk.

But yes, international terms, plus the 2 hours taxi/tube to Heathrow, 10 hours to Mumbai 5 to BKK, 3 hour wait then 90 minutes to Chiang Rai...Bt200 was fine by me!

For comparison, the next day we paid Bt40 for the bus to Chiang Saen and Bt100 for the Tuk Tuk to Ban Sob Kham (about 5km). I still think a bus into town is a 'must have' for any airport, odd that there isn't one.

Now that I know the roads, next time I think I'll hire a pick-up for a day or so, been quoted Bt1,250 plus Bt1,000 to pick it up in Chiang Saen, bit pricey I know, but if you factor in the hotel in CR (Bt500) and the feeling of 'I just wanna get home' I reckon it's justifiable.

Again, bit of a monopoly with the car hire people, there were none at all in Chiang Saen, ended up 'borrowing' an old pick-up from a neighbour for Bt800 (which decided to break down in Mae Sai whilst i was doing a u-turn in the main road!) but that's another thread or blog entry! :D

Apologies for rambling off-topic! :)

Biff