Bike Rental On Samui Without Leaving Passport?

KTD

no i don't they really ave us by the balls. on this 1. we want to rent. but by doing so we have to brake a law or get around on over charging taxis. which is why i would rarther buy a bike for about 1000 pounds if i am here for more than 6 months then try to quick sale before i leave.

actually i do know a place. there is a coffee shop on the lamui ring road where the temple is. it sales sandwiches and it is french. there was an advert fora honda click and am sure it says cash deposit. no passport.

try that place. if not then there sandwichs and coffee are good quality and no i don't work for them or know the owner. i get no commission :)

I offer them a photocopy and tell them I need my passport cos I'm going to Immigration for a visa.

If they feel they need to hold on to something valuable offer them an old library card and tell them it's your ID card.

NEVER hand over your passport, it's against the law.

against the law but. from the renters point of view it is a good deposit. as most of them don't havve credit card machines nd so many bikes get stolen. If the bike was to get stolen how would u gurantee that the person pays you for the bike. it happened to me. i didn't take a passport for he bike. had a proper nightmare.

i don't do it anymore.

the only way is if they give me the same depoit as the bike is worth. the proper way would be to get someones credit card swipe it for about 30 k. then refun it when the bie is returned. can do with cars from budget and avis but haven't found a national agency for bikes

against the law but. from the renters point of view it is a good deposit. as most of them don't havve credit card machines nd so many bikes get stolen. If the bike was to get stolen how would u gurantee that the person pays you for the bike. it happened to me. i didn't take a passport for he bike. had a proper nightmare.

i don't do it anymore.

the only way is if they give me the same depoit as the bike is worth. the proper way would be to get someones credit card swipe it for about 30 k. then refun it when the bie is returned. can do with cars from budget and avis but haven't found a national agency for bikes

Yes and the renter has the ultimate pressure tool in his hands to claim almost anything out of the customer!

No way!

Never ever give passport for a panw - whatsoever it is not even your's,

it's a Document of your home country for your identification only!

I know the arguments, I am here for a long time in the tourist industry, it's always, yes but if...

My answer is always: "How about a proper insurance?"

How many got ripped off and how many "fled" with a 1000 Euro worth of a Motorbike?

Besides there is on Samui this Motorbike-Rental Organization with Sticker, with a Phone number on it...

if it shows up on a ferry... if it is found disabandoned somewhere...figure it!

Edited by Samuian

How many got ripped off and how many "fled" with a 1000 Euro worth of a Motorbike?

Besides there is on Samui this Motorbike-Rental Organization with Sticker, with a Phone number on it...

No, but you must go and try to find it.

1. People get drunk and forget where they parked.

2. They don't want to spend money on transfer to ferry or airports and leaves the bikes there.

The sticker business is out of business. :)

Steve from the old school bike shop next to the Hut bar on the ghost rd Bangrak. 100 baht a day 0r 2000 a month and his bikes are all well serviced. I had mine off him for 18 months and trouble free riding. Also you have a little scratch and he isn't bothered. Break something you pay for the replacement ie a broken brake lever 100 baht against 1000 baht from a local renter if you follow. Good luck :)

i don't do it anymore.

Yes and the renter has the ultimate pressure tool in his hands to claim almost anything out of the customer!

No way!

Never ever give passport for a panw - whatsoever it is not even your's,

it's a Document of your home country for your identification only!

I know the arguments, I am here for a long time in the tourist industry, it's always, yes but if...

My answer is always: "How about a proper insurance?"

alright i hope this sticker thing finds my honda click as it has been almost 1 year now and many head aches and it has not been found.

can i rent a bike off you. wht would u want off me as a deposit. know that i have had 2 bikes stolen 1 from my house about 2 years ago 1 i rented out 1 year ago. i take it my library card will be enough of a deposit or 2000 baht to make sure that i pay u for the bike. as for inssuerence. u r i am covered for a bike which has been rented to me.