Enter Malaysia By Bus

tommybkk

Hello,

If I try to enter Malaysia by bus coming from Thailand with a Belgian passport that is valid only 4 months, is it possible to obtain the 3 months valid visa-on-arrival?

Are the immigration officials on borders less strict than at the airports?

I am planning on renewing my passport in Kuala Lumpur and have to be there a.s.a.p. so can not do it in Bangkok.

Thanks for your advice...

You acutally do not need a visa to enter Malaysia if you are holding a belgian passport, but the 4 months validity could pose a problem. Border immigration are not less strict imho (just crossed Changloon to Sadao 3 weeks ago and saw a few farangs being held up for visa problems)

Bribing might work though.

You acutally do not need a visa to enter Malaysia if you are holding a belgian passport, but the 4 months validity could pose a problem. Border immigration are not less strict imho (just crossed Changloon to Sadao 3 weeks ago and saw a few farangs being held up for visa problems)

Your Passport need to have at least six months validity to enter into Malaysia.

A Very Strong Word Of Advice : Do Not Bribe !!! This is Not Thailand.

You will be arrested and face a "mandatory" jail sentence plus a heavy fine.

All records of your passport when coming in will be recorded "On-Line" at all border crossings.

I repeat, bribing a civil servant is a very serious offence and the jail sentence is "mandatory" in Malaysia.

Please be aware !!! Mai mee pan ha ! Sawatdi.

So there is no chance that I can enter Malaysia.

I am wondering how I can do now.... Can I enter Laos? or Myanmar?

Because I need to renew my visa somewhere in order to wait to get a new passport, my visa will expire on the 21st and ordering a new passport takes about 15 days.

Edited by tommybkk

All records of your passport when coming in will be recorded "On-Line" at all border crossings.

I repeat, bribing a civil servant is a very serious offence and the jail sentence is "mandatory" in Malaysia.

Not trying to argue my case but from my experiences, malaysia is same same as thailand when it comes to 'coffee/tea' money.

Many a times, dealing with the Malaysian police or government officials, all that is needed is some greasing of the palms.

I would suggest OP tries his luck then if/when the passport is flagged, take it back and slot a $50 malaysian bill in between and requests for the officer to take another look.

I dont have time to fly back to Belgium, what a ridicilous answer.

Still didnt got an anwser on my question.

Thanks in advance

Try your luck since you do not have much of a choice. The immigration officer might not notice it if you are lucky

You need a validity of 6 month of your passport, otherwise you will not get a visa on arrival.

You seem to want to know if immigration will let you in if you don't have 6 moths. Nobody can answer that question, as it will be up to the immigration officer you will face. Officially he should deny you entry.

Im very confused... how can i enter Laos or Myanmar to renew my visa with a passport valid than 6 months.

1) need the visa-on-arrival for Laos or Myamnar in order to rush to the thai embassy

2) the thai embassy has to approve my visa application regardless my passport thats valid less than 6 months

3) I have to cross the thai border again and i have to see if they will let me in

4) if all this was positive i can go to the belgian embassy and renew my passport

5) the Belgian consulator that should be in his office in Lampang is gone since 2 weeks and will be back on the 22nd

This is a weird situation

Edited by tommybkk

Not trying to argue my case but from my experiences, malaysia is same same as thailand when it comes to 'coffee/tea' money.

Many a times, dealing with the Malaysian police or government officials, all that is needed is some greasing of the palms.

I would suggest OP tries his luck then if/when the passport is flagged, take it back and slot a $50 malaysian bill in between and requests for the officer to take another look.

I beg to differ. It is "Not The Same".

In Malaysia, the "Jail" sentence is "mandatory" . In Thailand it is not mandatory.

That means, you are playing "Black Jack" with law enforcement officers.

If the officer wants to arrest you, and if you are found guilty, then the jail sentence is mandatory.

Is it worth the risks ?

Just recently, a few Bangladeshi and Pakistani workers were sent to prisons trying to bribe police and law enforcement officers.

Still want to play "Black Jack" ? BTW, they love to target foreigners. Beware !!!

I beg to differ. It is "Not The Same".

In Malaysia, the "Jail" sentence is "mandatory" . In Thailand it is not mandatory.

That means, you are playing "Black Jack" with law enforcement officers.

If the officer wants to arrest you, and if you are found guilty, then the jail sentence is mandatory.

Is it worth the risks ?

Just recently, a few Bangladeshi and Pakistani workers were sent to prisons trying to bribe police and law enforcement officers.

Still want to play "Black Jack" ? BTW, they love to target foreigners. Beware !!!

Well I have never met any government official who have yet to refuse a bribe in more than 20 years I have been working and living on and off in various parts of West Malaysia. In fact they are more 'proactive' in soliciting bribes than their thai counterparts. Any expats or malaysians can attest to this.

You are right they like to target foreigners...for some 'coffee' money that is. The Bangladeshi and Pakistani workers probably did not offer enough or could not meet the demanded bribe that was why they were sent to prison with an additional charge.

Malaysia might be slightly higher on the corruption index than Thaialnd but in this region I think perhaps only China or Indonesia comes close to malaysia

:D

What type of Thai visa do you have now? Is it possible for you to get an extension on your current Thai visa? That would give you time to get your Belgian passport renewed.

Is there a Belgian consulate in Bangkok? I would try them first.

Otherwise I would look into Laos and Cambodia as possibilities. It would seem those two countries might be a little more willing to look the other way and not notice your pasport has less than 6 months to run. And frankly, I would expect the immigration authorities in Laos or Cambodia to be a little more "accomadating" to a little "tea money". Buy a return ticket from Cambodia or Laos to Thailand by air within 30 days ...and if asked show the ticket. Play dumb about the 6 month left on your passport rule...you never heard about it before. You're just a Belgian tourist that wanted to see Cambodia or Laos...someone told you it was a good place to visit. Make sure you look like you have money to spend in their country.

No gaurentees on any of this...so be prepared to have to return to Thailand...and be ready for problems at the border.

Good luck.

:)

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Dangerous advice, bordering on reckless.

Well I have never met any government official who have yet to refuse a bribe in more than 20 years I have been working and living on and off in various parts of West Malaysia. In fact they are more 'proactive' in soliciting bribes than their thai counterparts. Any expats or malaysians can attest to this.

Very true, but sometimes you are just out of luck, especially if computer systems are involved. This entry, and the officer involved will be recorded. Not sure of their ability to override the system.

Of course bribery is very common in Malaysia, but if that is what they want, they will make it very clear (without actually saying so as they worry about being entrapped). Never offer first as they worry about being entrapped. Also, one never knows if a principled supervisor is around or if there is a "anti-corruption" crackdown on. They are certain to catch your less than 6 months validity. They may ask for a bribe, after all, they know you are in a perilous position as Thailand will not stamp you back in, but to have bribery as your main plan to get around it is playing with fire. "Playing dumb" and begging for mercy as sugested may work in getting a bribe request or some kind of help (better than starting off with a bribe offer), but I would not call this a plan.

To answer your question, the border, imho – and I go through both frequently, is much more strict than KLIA. They are strict, as just like Thailand, most of the nonsense occurs at the boarders. Unfortunately, you cannot fly to Malaysia as no airline will board you with your passport's expiration date.

Also, keep in mind that Malaysia has a computerized system that is centralized. Passport details are scrutinized due to the fact there are a lot of fraudulent attempts by nationals of some of the poorer counties in the region to get in. I am not sure, but I suspect the expiry date one of the parameters recorded, so it may also be the case that the system itself flags you when the passport is scanned and it is beyond passport control's ability/authorization to let you in.

OP, basically, you have messed up by letting your passport get so close to expiry in a part of the world that takes this seriously. Flying back home and getting a new passport may seem ridiculous but is should not be out of the question (and is probably your only "by the rules" option you have left yourself if your thai visa is set to expire). That is better than the possible outcomes of getting caught in "no-man's land", Malaysian jail or getting a new passport and needing to pay an overstay fine at an airport (if your visa expires).

Talking about giving bribes to police and law enforcement officers in Malaysia.

A word of caution. The scenario today is very different.

The reason is that the newly formed MACC (Anti-Corruption Agency) has been going all out

to tackle this problem. Parliament has passed a law - the giver and/or the receiver will face the

mandatory jail sentence and a heavy fine if convicted.

Every now and then we hear of police officers and other civil servants being arrested and

subsequently sent to prisons. The same applies to the "giver".

In August 2008, the Immigration Department Director-General was arrested and charged

for receiving bribes.

BTW, the Malaysian Immigration On-line-computer is link to all border check points and

also link to HQ. There is no way you can fool them. They are also trained to detect fake

passports - unless yours was done by the mossad, so to speak.

Play "Black Jack" - And you lose.

The 6 month validity rule applies to most entry points worldwide unless you decide to seek asylum somewhere.

I am not sure where you are at the moment - but it will be crucial for you to contact your embassy or consulate

for further information on renewal or extension if allowed.

To enter Laos you MUST have 6 months left on your passport. There is no way around it. I do not know about Burma's policy but I'm sure google works for that.

You can try talking to your embassy and see if they can make an exception on giving you a new passport, but other then that... The only thing I can see is returning home and getting a new one there.

All words aside... You should have made a new passport 4 months ago. Never wait till last minute to make one. My rule of thumb is, however long your passport is valid for... when there's one year left, just remake it. Its better to be safe then sorry.

Talking about giving bribes to police and law enforcement officers in Malaysia.

A word of caution. The scenario today is very different.

The reason is that the newly formed MACC (Anti-Corruption Agency) has been going all out

to tackle this problem. Parliament has passed a law - the giver and/or the receiver will face the

mandatory jail sentence and a heavy fine if convicted.

Every now and then we hear of police officers and other civil servants being arrested and

subsequently sent to prisons. The same applies to the "giver".

In August 2008, the Immigration Department Director-General was arrested and charged

for receiving bribes.

BTW, the Malaysian Immigration On-line-computer is link to all border check points and

also link to HQ. There is no way you can fool them. They are also trained to detect fake

passports - unless yours was done by the mossad, so to speak.

Play "Black Jack" - And you lose.

Latest Update on "Black Jack".

MACC senior officer charged for graft.

An assistant superintendent with the Selangor Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC)

was charged in the Sessions Court here Friday with bribery involving RM250,000.