New Agency To Push Better Educational Reform : Abhisit

webfact

New agency to push education reform

By The nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is planning to set up an autonomous state agency to push for better educational reform.

The agency would be modelled on the Office of Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth), Abhisit said yesterday.

"It will have its own funds and will have to engage the people," the premier said.

Abhisit said he had yet to decide how much money should be allocated for what would be an autonomous state agency.

"But we will gradually build it up and strengthen it until it is as strong as ThaiHealth."

The premier said improving the quality of small schools would be the focus of the upcoming round of educational reform.

"We have found that a large number of small schools have quality problems," Abhisit said, "So, the government is going to engage parents and local administrative bodies in our efforts to improve the quality of small schools. Together, we should be able to solve the problems".

The premier said the upcoming round of reform would also place much emphasis on improving the quality of teachers and curriculum.

"I think 30 per cent of academic content packed for primary students now is not necessary. Remove this part and children will have more time to explore knowledge outside classrooms," Abhisit suggested.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

From the Nation newspaper:

"I think 30 per cent of academic content packed for primary students now is not necessary. Remove this part and children will have more time to explore knowledge outside classrooms," Abhisit suggested.

Good, I hope it does some good. I hope the PM and his people stick behind the initiative to see it progresses, rather than just making an interesting announcement, and then going on to other things.

There are a wealth of educational experiences to be gained outside the classroom. In the US schools, we call them 'field trips.' I was fortunate, while in grammar school, to go on several. Some I remember: a trip to hear a symphony orchestra, a trip to see Pete Seeger, who gave a speech about saving the Potomac and Hudson rivers from pollution - Pete gave the speech from the boat, while we kids listened from the dock. I recall the class visiting an elder black woman who had written some blues songs. There was also a trip to a large synagogue.

Near Chiang Rai, I'm developing an outdoor adventure park with boulders, rope swings, top-rope rock climbing. I envision having field trips with schoolkids come and visit. ...hopefully, they'll also learn a bit about cherishing the environment and solar energy (passive and PV).

This has the chance to show up Thaksin's "One Village, One Cow", or was that "One Cow, One Drug Dealer Execution"...I can never keep them straight.

Abhisit is so far and away a better leader for Thailand than any of the other alternatives. Attempting to give individual provinces income through land and property tax reform, intense focus on education reforms. All of the "Non sexy" things that will make a real tangible difference for the country. Lets see, who was it that wanted PTP in power? Prime Minister Charlerm, with Dept PM Mr. Happy Toilet?

Hope this initiative materializes into something eventually. The benefits of an educated population would certainly offset the costs. Perhaps I won't have to move the wife and son out of the village after all. The "schools" here are more like playgrounds than bastions of educational greatness.

Then again, the world does need to eat. Thailand is a rice mecca, and one does not require advanced math skills to whack-away. The future may find common ground, however, in that with better schools, rice-harvesting could be achieved with nuclear powered robots that must be maintained and reprogrammed by its creators! But eventually the robots will get bored...

Sounds like a great idea - education reform is much needed in Thailand.

The problem is ingrained in the teachers psyche, old teachers, old methods, why should we change, the students are always stupid.

I've taught this way for 30 years, why should I change now?

Centralise book purchases, free books to the students via required book lists...stop teachers lining their pockets with the profits from annual text book purchases that the parents can ill afford!! Bah humbug! :)

Anything is good that will improve the quality of small rural schools in Thailand. But, what's really needed, is to rid the country of the corrupt practices of school administrators. Otherwise, reforms and more money won't improve anything, other than the finances of the elite few.

i think he recognises this and is why he's making it an autonomous body sepparrate from politics.

Hope its a success.