Alum Natural Stone As A Deodorant?

frenchFARANGbkk

hi,

I would like to know if some of you are using the ALUM STONE instead of a roll on?

It can be found in thai shops and it is very cheap.

It seems to work quite well, but I read somewhere it might be dangerous because of its contents. What do you know about this?

I also would like to know about any other environment friendly product, as detergent, toothpaste, so thanks for advice.

Thanks.

http://www.kombuchapower.com/deodorant_stone.htm

http://www.detoxyourworld.com/products/personal/deo_stone/

I switched to using the alum crystal soon after moving to Thailand.

It works much better than roll on or spray deodorant it's a heck of a lot cheaper too,but you can't use it to mask smell like some poeple try with roll on or sprays.

as it has no inherent smell.

Where did you read about it being dangerous ???

hi,

I would like to know if some of you are using the ALUM STONE instead of a roll on?

It can be found in thai shops and it is very cheap.

It seems to work quite well, but I read somewhere it might be dangerous because of its contents. What do you know about this?

I also would like to know about any other environment friendly product, as detergent, toothpaste, so thanks for advice.

Thanks.

http://www.kombuchapower.com/deodorant_stone.htm

http://www.detoxyourworld.com/products/personal/deo_stone/

We have been using it for many years - no ill-effcts so far. It's a more healthy way to suppress odor. Some Thai women prefer to use a powder form (heat the salt until it cracks into fine powder) mixed with starch ( you can buy it under a brand but I can't remember the name.) They believe that using it straight could result in the darkening of the armpits - I haven't found this to true so far.

Alum was used to purify water when the Thais used to be able to save rain water from their spouts - a piece of alum would be tied to a string and swirled in the container and the germs and other impurities would settle to the bottom. The water could then be used for drinking (usually boiled first) or cooking. You don't see much of that in the urban areas anymore, but perhaps it's still being used in the rural areas. Still being used in some 3rd world countries however...

Try buying it at the markets.About THB20 for a kilo.Used it for yonks myself.1KG should last a few years :o

These deodorants have no Aluminum Chlorohydrate or Methyl Parabens (As do most deodorants,) inference of these chemicals has been made to Breast Cancer and Alzeimers

The Thais call it San song(Sp).

It is slightly acidic (Good for skin etc) and actually kills the bacteria that causes BO.It also has great antiseptic qualities.

Edited by chuchok

Try buying it at the markets.About THB20 for a kilo.Used it for yonks myself.1KG should last a few years :D

These deodorants have no Aluminum Chlorohydrate or Methyl Parabens (As do most deodorants,) inference of these chemicals has been made to Breast Cancer and Alzeimers

The Thais call it San song(Sp).

It is slightly acidic (Good for skin etc) and actually kills the bacteria that causes BO.It also has great antiseptic qualities.

Yes, when I read it was called "Alum" Natural Stone I thought it may cantain aluminium which as you say is linked to Alzeimers. What about all the rice cookers with aluminium inserts! :o

Asked my wife about "San Som" and said when she was a little girl living next to the Chao Phya River they added the San Som to the river water to "make it clear" for washing. I guess you would need to double the dose these days! :D

Cheers BaanOz

Edited by BaanOz