Solar Powered Home

I'm buying a house in Chiang Mai and at the moment there is no hot water.

It's got 2 bathrooms and 1 kitchen and I want hot water in all of them! What a luxury!

Does anyone know any good companies that will provide SOLAR powered water heaters?

Seems like there's way too much sun going to waste in Thailand. I am very interested to find

out how much a solar powered house would cost to set up over here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

John

Edited by johnd33

Storage of electricity is a problem as is storage of hot water, though to solve that you just have to hark back to traditional western type centralised water heating / storage against the Thai heal at the point of demand hot water solutions.

The question is how far apart are your hot water outlets ? You can use a multipoint hot water heater such as a Panasonic 10kw or Steibel Eltron 12kw to power (here are UK specs but exactly the same in Thailand http://www.cnmonline.co.uk/Stiebel-Eltron-...W-pr-33373.html )

I use one for a kitchen, internal and out, plus bathroom but my pipe runs are only a few meters. If longer runs, you would need a couple of these though perhaps with lower power.

I looked into solar power and it just wasn't viable as you need real electric for air conditioning and you cannot "sell" any power back to the grid as you can in the UK. You can do it for hot water but it wasn't viable for me.

Hi,

Yes; there is a Company in Thailand which manufactures a Quality Solar Hot Water system, which would seem to be able to satisfy your needs. German technology; various components imported from Germany, Switzerland etc., assembled in Thailand under very strict European management. They're currently also exporting to Europe & Australia.

If you PM me, I'll put you in touch with the correct person, okay ?

Cheers,

JGK/Pattaya

Edited by jaapfries

Hi,

Yes; there is a Company in Thailand which manufactures a Quality Solar Hot Water system, which would seem to be able to satisfy your needs. German technology; various components imported from Germany, Switzerland etc., assembled in Thailand under very strict European management. They're currently also exporting to Europe & Australia.

If you PM me, I'll put you in touch with the correct person, okay ?

Cheers,

JGK/Pattaya

A lower priced alternative might be to run 30m of black 2" pipe on the north facing side of your roof, that will give your aboout 24 litres of very, very hot water that will heat up even in Chiang Mai in the winter!

I have studied the economics of solar power in another thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Money-saving...en-t291118.html

I stopped researching when it became clear that the cost of solar power is huge and cannot compete with a cost of 3.5 baht per KwH from the grid.

The only thing that can presently work from an economic point of view is solar powered water heating, with an average return on investment of approx. 5 to 7 years if you are willing to take some downsides, like limited hot water, i.e. there's a tank and when it's empty, water finit.

And the involved sums are really small (about 50k baht over 5 to 7 years), and chances are the stuff must be maintained and/or repaired at some point or another.

Not worth the hassle.

Edited by manarak

There is a website coolthaihouse.com that has a lot of info in that subject

I have found it very helpful, I think you will find it helpful also.

This is my personal opinion on solar water heating.:

It is certainly a worth while project as far as the ecology is concerned, and it could be a fun project to do, but as far as economics are concerned , electricity in Thailand is so inexpressive, and there are so many inexpensive and efficient ,on demand water heaters that can be easily installed in your bathrooms.

I would install at least one of them on my bathroom immediately !!

cold showers can be detrimental to your marriage :)

and then research solar heating, and possible engage in such project

:D