January Motorcycle Sales Numbers

Richard-BKK

Numbers for newly registered motorcycles in Thailand, for the month January 2010

Honda 110,731 units

Yamaha 34,570 units

Suzuki 4803 units

Kawasaki 1798 units

Tiger 1109 units

Remarkable is that Kawasaki, even with the introduction of all the big bike and promotional activities showed only 1 percent growth. Suzuki shows increasing sales after introducing the big bike line-up and the biggest growth is Tiger Motorcycle.

^

they are barely in the race, neither are Suzuki. The figures surprised me, at a local level Yamaha are so well represented in Phuket but plainly Honda are totally dominant.

Kawasaki have scooters, but not often seen (obviously, there's b-all of them!).

Just back from a trip to Malaysia - different bikes/models there - what i noticed most was the almost total lack of auto scooters - Fino, Scoopyo etc - all manual gearbox bikes it seemed, and a good number of Modenas that I have never seen here, I'd only heard of Modenas from their GP race bikes 500cc back when 2-strokes were in fashion..

^

they are barely in the race, neither are Suzuki. The figures surprised me, at a local level Yamaha are so well represented in Phuket but plainly Honda are totally dominant.

Just back from a trip to Malaysia - different bikes/models there - what i noticed most was the almost total lack of auto scooters - Fino, Scoopyo etc - all manual gearbox bikes it seemed, and a good number of Modenas that I have never seen here, I'd only heard of Modenas from their GP race bikes 500cc back when 2-strokes were in fashion..

Well, just remember that most of the time Richard just makes up his figures and as there's no break down between scooters and real motorcycles the figures are pretty worthless regardless. Sure- Honda may be at the top, but the biggest bike they sell in Thailand is the 200cc Phantom... :) . Unless Richard can provide a link I'd take his figures with a big grain of salt. Ride On!

^

Well, just remember that most of the time Richard just makes up his figures and as there's no break down between scooters and real motorcycles the figures are pretty worthless regardless. Sure- Honda may be at the top, but the biggest bike they sell in Thailand is the 200cc Phantom... :) . Unless Richard can provide a link I'd take his figures with a big grain of salt. Ride On!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. One Kawasaki EX650, for example, is worth several Honda Waves or Clicks. This gives us only a partial picture.

Thanks, Richard, brushing aside your doubters once again. :)

For Kawasaki, 1566 of their 1798 sales in Jan are in the off-road category. They hold an amazing 99% of the Thai (legal) off-road market. They sold 129 sports bikes which presumably includes the Ninja and the ER 650. This compares to Honda's 903 sports bikes sales in Jan which are almost all CBR 150's I guess.

If I had time I'd make an Excel file translation but not today.

Here's the sales by category

Total Sales in Jan by bike category

Family (Wave, etc.) 75,930

Family Sports (Sonic, etc.) 3,820

Sports (CBR etc.) 1,236

Automatic (Fino, etc.) 70,365

Off Road (KLX, etc.) 1,579

Other 382

Total 153,312

IMHO, the figures are NOT useless and are exactly what they were said to represent - registrations.

Anyone looking for prices of bikes sold, or types beyond those listed, or models within types, must look elsewhere, is all. No big deal. (I'm finding statistics as hard to gather around bikers on-line as I am about Thai accident rates on-line - oops, off topic. I repent.)

Certainly, they must represent what the Thai people (by far) want for themselves. If there is a figure to be noted in that regard, I'd guess it is the one that indicates that automatics are close to the sales figures for "family" bikes, in spite of their higher costs and loss of fuel efficiency. A monthly list is not likely to be representative anyway, except in grosser aspects.

and as there's no break down between scooters and real motorcycles the figures are pretty worthless regardless[/b]. Sure- Honda may be at the top, but the biggest bike they sell in Thailand is the 200cc Phantom... :) . Unless Richard can provide a link I'd take his figures with a big grain of salt. Ride On!

Ohh tony, you can sprout some rubbish yourself at times, seriously does it make you feel good to seperate scooters from real motorcycles?

In Thailand, its fairly obvious to most that the 4 main jap brands are going to make more money from scooters and their parts/service etc than they are from a few cashed up big bike riders.

Every definition of a motorcycle that I have ever seen, goes something like this: -

400. (a) A "motorcycle" is any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, and weighing less than 1,500 pounds.

(:D A motor vehicle that has four wheels in contact with the ground, two of which are a functional part of a sidecar, is a motorcycle if the vehicle otherwise comes within the definition of subdivision (a).

© A motor vehicle that is electrically powered, has a maximum speed of 45 miles per hour, and weighs less than 2,500 pounds, is a motorcycle if the vehicle otherwise comes within the definition of subdivision (a).

(d) A farm tractor is not a motorcycle.

(e) A three-wheeled motor vehicle that otherwise meets the requirements of subdivision (a), has a partially or completely enclosed seating area for the driver and passenger, is used by local public agencies for the enforcement of parking control provisions, and is operated at slow speeds on public streets, is not a motorcycle. However, a motor vehicle described in this subdivision shall comply with the applicable sections of this code imposing equipment installation requirements on motorcycles.

Hopefully you can give yourself a little uppercut & get over ur constant need compensate for your micro sized genetalia :D

@Neverdie

Your definition of a motorcycle is not the correct definition for Thailand, anything with more than 3-wheels is not a motorcycle. Several motorcycle manufacturers try to convince the government to change it so they can start selling Quads... But for now 3 is the maximum...

Aw man... upper cut self administered but I thought our Little Pricks Anonymous meetings were confidential and that you were going to keep our micro sized genitalia a secret just between you and me... :)

Hopefully you can give yourself a little uppercut & get over ur constant need compensate for your micro sized genetalia :D

@Neverdie

Your definition of a motorcycle is not the correct definition for Thailand, anything with more than 3-wheels is not a motorcycle. Several motorcycle manufacturers try to convince the government to change it so they can start selling Quads... But for now 3 is the maximum...

Yes, true Richie, its actually the legislation for California in the good ole US of A. It was the first one that came up when I googled it. I should of known I wouldnt be able to get that past you.

Aw man... upper cut self administered but I thought our Little Pricks Anonymous meetings were confidential and that you were going to keep our micro sized genitalia a secret just between you and me... :)

Dude, I've had the full op now, which is why I wasnt at Febs meeting, I am now a true woman :D .......which negates the need to buy a real bike :D:D:D

Numbers for newly registered motorcycles in Thailand, for the month January 2010

Honda 110,731 units

Yamaha 34,570 units

Suzuki 4803 units

Kawasaki 1798 units

Tiger 1109 units

Amazing numbers. If you count it for a year, it´s about 1,75 million new bikes. European dealers must be super jealous.

Well, just remember that most of the time Richard just makes up his figures.......Unless Richard can provide a link I'd take his figures with a big grain of salt.
Oh dear!  :) In your eagerness to slag someone off, you've been made to look a complete ass.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
That's a surprise! Funny how every time Little Tony posts one of his overly-opinionated little messages, his lapdog Scuba pops up in support.
I thought our Little Pricks Anonymous meetings were confidential
The SSR is confidential now?  :D

Maybe should that be SSR Hooligans? Or Secret Soi Hooligans In Thailand for acronym addicts.  :D

Keep up the good work Richard and don't let the bastards get you down.

Edited by RusticCharm

Dunno what you're on about Rustic Charmless, but yes, quite a few guys over at GT Rider affectionately call us the Bangkok Hooligans. Hasn't been a problem for anyone in our little club. Happy Trails! Tony

Well, just remember that most of the time Richard just makes up his figures.......Unless Richard can provide a link I'd take his figures with a big grain of salt.
Oh dear! :) In your eagerness to slag someone off, you've been made to look a complete ass.
That's a surprise! Funny how every time Little Tony posts one of his overly-opinionated little messages, his lapdog Scuba pops up in support.
I thought our Little Pricks Anonymous meetings were confidential
The SSR is confidential now? :D

Maybe should that be SSR Hooligans? Or Secret Soi Hooligans In Thailand for acronym addicts. :D

Keep up the good work Richard and don't let the bastards get you down.

LMAO :) Rustic has a sense of humor after all!! Well done mate!

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Anyone know what night of the week the Bangkok self-flagellation society hold their meetings! I'd like to go.....even if it's tamer than here! :)

Check with RusticCharmless. He holds a self-flatulation meetings every time he posts. I think that's the same thing yeah? :D

Do they talk about sells numbers at this self-flatulation meetings? Or is it just off-topic :) chatting?

Funny you didn't mention the off topic chatter earlier when it was Terry doing it.

BTW, I never thought you made up your numbers. I merely agreed with the point that unit numbers sold was only part of the picture, especially since Kawasaki started making and selling the EX650's here.

I agree on that, one month, especially January, is not much to show a picture of yearly motorcycle sales. Also the registration figures from the Department of Land Transport show several months for some motorcycle manufacturers "zero" sales/registration. This is, as I found out later, is not correct. Apparently, some motorcycles are incorrectly administrated and it's therefore a complete useless list of numbers.

Sure Honda is the best seller but for anything else... a lot of wet fingers in the wind...