High Smog Prompts Mask Handouts In North

webfact

But the wind is blowing from southwest to northeast. So if I may ask, where is that smoke in your eyes coming from?
This is today's image. Most of the fires are not in Thailand..... :)

No doubt that the fires in Thailand are causing part of the problem but by the wind chart northern Thailand upper winds are coming from the Northwest out of China and Burma where the majority of the fires are.

I'm quite sure that none of the nightly burning that takes place within view of our house is registered on those maps. They are relatively short-lived fires that burn off the stubble in the field or the stacks of straw left over from the harvest. They do generate a huge amount of noticeable smoke. Last night was quite a show as our neighbor burned his field right outside our front door.

I have my own gages for air quality around here. I look out the windows and see which mountains are still visible, if any.

A wasted argument I think gotlost, toybits will look at the map upside down before he admits there's a single puff of smoke coming out of the north.

I never said there wasn't any fires in Thailand,you are. :D

This time last year it was so bad my eyes were burning and I was gaging took off for two weeks for Phuket to get some fresh air. This year is NOTHING EVEN CLOSE to what it has been the last couple of years but is it nasty YES. :)

Edited by gotlost

I wonder how many people here listen to Thai New Broadcasts. They were saying last night (3rd March 2010) that the province with the worst level of smoke was Lampang. So I take it that the smoke jumped from China and Burma, skipped Chiang Rai and Phayao and landed in Lampang Province. Riiiiight!

I just looked at the PCD site and the values for Chiang Rai (and Mae Sai) are completely off the scale. Are you guys still breathing up there?

post-64232-1268102439_thumb.png

Is it truly that bad at the moment? I'm asking because some of that crap will make its way to Chiang Mai no doubt, would be good to get some advance warning.

(If the values for Chiang Mai were even half that then the Chiang Mai forum wouldn't talk about anything else! :) )

I just looked at the PCD site and the values for Chiang Rai (and Mae Sai) are completely off the scale. Are you guys still breathing up there?

post-64232-1268102439_thumb.png

Is it truly that bad at the moment? I'm asking because some of that crap will make its way to Chiang Mai no doubt, would be good to get some advance warning.

(If the values for Chiang Mai were even half that then the Chiang Mai forum wouldn't talk about anything else! :) )

Yes.

Everyone I know up here has at least a slight cough.

Woke up before sunrise, went outside, looked up in a cloudless sky, saw 1 star (maybe it was Jupiter?).

The black map is far out, but it looks to me like the majority of fires are in northern Thailand, ....or at least half.

In 11 years here, it's as bad or worse than I've ever seen.

I have a stand-alone air filter for my bedroom, but as luck would have it, it decided not to work yesterday. So happens it's designed so when the filter is plugged (or after a certain # of hours of usage), the fan won't run. The company, Hitachi, want users to buy new filters often (Bt.2,000 each!) and all they are is a 1 foot square of folded filter paper. Anyone know if/where there's a cheaper way to filter air in a room?

Everyone I know up here has at least a slight cough.

Woke up before sunrise, went outside, looked up in a cloudless sky, saw 1 star (maybe it was Jupiter?).

The black map is far out, but it looks to me like the majority of fires are in northern Thailand, ....or at least half.

In 11 years here, it's as bad or worse than I've ever seen.

I have a stand-alone air filter for my bedroom, but as luck would have it, it decided not to work yesterday. So happens it's designed so when the filter is plugged (or after a certain # of hours of usage), the fan won't run. The company, Hitachi, want users to buy new filters often (Bt.2,000 each!) and all they are is a 1 foot square of folded filter paper. Anyone know if/where there's a cheaper way to filter air in a room?

I don't know that particular filter but many can be blown clean with compressed air. The local cycle or tire shop should have a compressor. Some filters that LOOK like folded paper are actually made from a harder, more durable material and can be carefully washed out with water. They work fine again when they are dry.

We have a strong steady wind from the North today and it feels like being on a windswept coast. Of course the satellite shows things moving South to North. Hasn't done much for visibility but it is much cooler today.

Anyone have any rain yet? It sure would be nice.

We have a strong steady wind from the North today and it feels like being on a windswept coast. Of course the satellite shows things moving South to North. Hasn't done much for visibility but it is much cooler today.

Anyone have any rain yet? It sure would be nice.

I thought I felt some rain but it could have been a splash from the hoze pipe.

definately feels and almost smells fresh though. I reckon it will rain , there's the usual telltale signs; for example, I had a breif <deleted> moment this morning when the village errupted in a plume of smoke, I then realised it was local 'lesser spotted Village Idiots' burning everything and anything thats conbustable and somethings that ain't . Its a usual ritual before Rain and seldom wrong. :)