Travel Insurance For Thai Girlfriend To The Uk

Stonecutter35777

Hello all,

My girlfriend recently got her visitor visa approved to visit me for a few months in the UK. I'm actually an American with my own insurance and not really sure what good travel insurance would be. I'm worried that maybe she'll come over here to visit, get sick or something, and then I would have to pay a whopping bill when we took her to non-emergency care at a hospital. I just want to make sure she is taken care of as best I can without her being a burden to the UK's health system by not having any insurance if something unfortunate should happen. I know Thai Visa sells travel insurance but.........not being native to the UK I think I might feel better buying her "Bupa" or some other British insurance. Do you think it will even matter? Any suggestions on insurance plans? Maybe I'm over-thinking this! Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

If the UK visitor visa is anything like the Schengen visa, she should have had to show she has travel insurance when applying for the visa. The UK embassy can give her list of companies that sell this.

When my wife can to visit the EU, she organized all this herself.

Yes, World Nomads is pretty good and flexible, and the insurance is actually operated by BUPA. Agree with Neverdie about the 5% discount for subsequent purchases though you can get a 10% discount as well at the moment if you add the promotion code "WNFEB10".

Unlike Schengen Countries you are not required to prove you hold insurance at any stage of the UK visa process, but you would be unwise to travel without it.

I remember the difficulties you had with obtaining her visa, and would like to say I am glad this has now been resolved and hope she enjoys her stay.

you are not required to prove you hold insurance at any stage of the UK visa process, but you would be unwise to travel without it.
Quite.

Visitors to the UK are not entitled to free NHS treatment except in an emergency. Even then, only the initial treatment in A&E is free. Any follow up treatment is chargeable; this includes being admitted into hospital from A&E.

I remember the difficulties you had with obtaining her visa, and would like to say I am glad this has now been resolved and hope she enjoys her stay.
you are not required to prove you hold insurance at any stage of the UK visa process, but you would be unwise to travel without it.
Quite.

Visitors to the UK are not entitled to free NHS treatment except in an emergency. Even then, only the initial treatment in A&E is free. Any follow up treatment is chargeable; this includes being admitted into hospital from A&E.

Us Brits will pay for anyone or anything , thats why we are on our arse.

Yes, that is the important part and underlines why insurance is needed. Just as a footnote though, general practitioners can opt to treat overseas visitors as NHS patients at their discretion. I am, of course, talking about primary care at a GP surgery or health centre. If one GP says 'no', keep trying until another says 'yes. I couldn't possibly comment on what sometimes happens when a visitor is registered with a GP and then presents at hospital.

"There is considerable confusion about overseas visitors' eligibility for NHS primary medical services; this is largely because of lack of clarity in the NHS regulations. The Department of Health launched a consultation on overseas visitors to England in 2004 'Proposals to Exclude Overseas Visitors from Eligibility to Free NHS Primary Medical Services' but no action has yet been taken in relation to it and GPs are still awaiting updated guidance from the Department. Until the consultation exercise results in an updated health service circular, the Department of Health has confirmed that Health Service Circular (HSC) 1999/018 (See Note 1) should be adhered to. The GPC finds the uncertainty unsatisfactory and would welcome clear, non-discriminatory guidance for primary medical services contractors."

Quite.

Us Brits will pay for anyone or anything , thats why we are on our arse.

What on Earth do you mean? Did you not understand?

Visitors are not entitled to free NHS treatment except for initial A&E treatment in an emergency. How is that paying for "anyone or anything"?

Although, as citizen 33 says, GPs can currently opt to treat visitors for free if they wish, I personally doubt that many would do so. Certainly, when my sister-in-law was visiting us last year and got some grit in her eye we were charged £30 by our local walk in centre for a brief check to ensure her eyeball wasn't scratched.

...GPs can currently opt to treat visitors for free if they wish, I personally doubt that many would do so. Certainly, when my sister-in-law was visiting us last year and got some grit in her eye we were charged £30 by our local walk in centre for a brief check to ensure her eyeball wasn't scratched.

Not really disagreeing, but the charge made at the walk-in centre was probably a bit naughty. The DoH guidance says:

All treatment given by staff at a hospital or by staff employed by a hospital may be subject to a charge with the following exceptions, which are free to all:

* Treatment given in an accident and emergency department (excludes emergency treatment given elsewhere in the hospital);

* Treatment given in a walk in centre providing similar services to those of an accident and emergency department of a hospital;

* Treatment for certain communicable diseases (excluding HIV/AIDS where it is only the first diagnosis and connected counselling sessions that are charge free);

* Compulsory psychiatric treatment.

* Family planning services

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitle...sable/DH_074374

Grit in the eye would be within the usual run of conditions that might be treated in A&E and on my reading should be treatable free in an NHS walk-in centre.

i cracked this as i purchase ticket with platinum bank of Ireland visa business card and if just 50% is paid by visa full cover for 180 days is given this costs me €40 per year and also includes my travel or anyone else who travels that i purchase ticket for other business associate.

Not really disagreeing, but the charge made at the walk-in centre was probably a bit naughty........Grit in the eye would be within the usual run of conditions that might be treated in A&E and on my reading should be treatable free in an NHS walk-in centre.

You're probably right, but for the sake of 30 quid I didn't feel it was worth arguing the point.

Ironically, despite my advice to always take out travel insurance; we had neglected to do so! Also, as my wife and her sister are identical twins, we probably would have got away with saying that the patient was my wife; guess I'm too honest for my own good!

• 1 month later...
Sorry the link is;

www.worldcare.co.th/default.aspx

I tried them for my gf who's coming at the end of April but when I tried to apply my browser informed me their security certificate was out of date so not wishing to take a risk with my credit card detail I emailed them. No reply so far.

Worldnomads seem a little more expensive but then they don't seem to do a policy that excludes travel to USA which always costs more.

Hi,

I got my partner to call and arranged cover on the phone.

As we're based in Bangkok, we then went to their offices and surprisingly, everything was completed and ready and presented to us in a plastic wallet.

Not sure if this is an option for you.

• 1 year later...
Sorry the link is;

www.worldcare.co.th/default.aspx

I tried them for my gf who's coming at the end of April but when I tried to apply my browser informed me their security certificate was out of date so not wishing to take a risk with my credit card detail I emailed them. No reply so far.

Worldnomads seem a little more expensive but then they don't seem to do a policy that excludes travel to USA which always costs more.

Hmmm.... I notice that now they don't have ANY security on the payment page. Is WorldCare a legitimate company? They don't seem to care enough about secure payments...

BTW...there is no UK immigration requirement to have insurance as there are with the Schengen visa. We were not asked on entry.

We used Pacific through AA Insurance brokers in June and paid about 4000bht for 3 months. This included curtailment and cancellation, which I was unsure about keeping in.

However, we had to return after 1 month due to a family tragedy in Thailand, so we am claiming my Thai gf's extra costs in rearranging the flights. We will see how good they are...