Ex-pats Working In Thai Dealerships

jcartermad

There are restrictions on certain employment for foriegners in Thailand, being certain occupations that are reserved for thais only.

I see that any employment role that involves the driving of mechically propelled vehicles is one of the listed roles that a foriegner cannot hold, so I am guessing that may rule out a 'Service role' where a mechanic may be required to test drive vehicles.

Other than that, it says shop assistant is out, but a sales or spare parts role is hardly a shop assistants position, so i would guess that its okay to do that job in Thailand as a foriegner, providing you had the permit to do so.

I've never seen a foriegner selling cars in Thailand.

http://www.bia.co.th/023.html

Edited by neverdie

Never come across one, and cant see any reason why we would have Expats working in dealerships, as the primary market in Thailand is directed at.... you guessed it...Thai's, and unless said expat was completely fluent in Thai, why would he/she be in a dealership, to service a couple of Farangs who grace a dealships doors....think not...

Middle East is a different ball game as our friends from the sands love to have their ar*e licked by an expat, gives them a sense of superiority and in addtional the business language in the ME is English..

I've seen a Japanese working as a sales at Toyota Libra, a joint venture between a Toyota dealer in northern Japan (Aomori) and Toyota Tsusho, a trading arm of Toyota Motor. But none in aftersales.

Whenever I've spoken to reps at car shows or dealerships they've always been Thais, even at luxury brands I've no chance of buying in a million years; always Thai. On the other hand, I bought a Chevy last December and the salesman revealed he earnt a pittance so I can't see how or why foriegners would want such a job.

Given that this topic is now a continued discussion of a closed topic this one is now closed also, with a strong wanring not to re-open it.

Thai law is very strict about libel and cannot be compared with the law in most western countries. Even the truth is on itself no defense against libel.