Unusual Ceremony At Khun Korn Falls National Park.

sceadugenga

I've posted some of these in the photography section but thought I'd give them a run locally to see if anyone had seen this before.

The young monks/novices seemed to be trying to find something thrown into the water.

(And no "Somchai's dropped his mobile phone" jokes please. :) )

post-38081-1267440624_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1267440663_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1267440733_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1267440787_thumb.jpg

Or maybe just some young kids having fun. they`re still allowed to.

Indeed, they regularly play football in the temple yard.

However it was supervised by older monks and parents who held a prayer meeting with them afterwards.

I'm still studying the maps and satellite photos provided on other threads but it appears to me that the water pictured here has been hijacked from dams on the Mekong and I can see some evidence that the monks pictured may have blown in on fair winds from neighboring countries. Sceadugenga, can you provide any information concerning the wind direction on the day these pics were taken? We need to get to the bottom of this and quickly.

From another frame of mind, it is good to see these guys cavorting and enjoying a fun activity. Thanks for this posting and the pics.

Mate, the water was freezing, I couldn't imagine anyone getting in there for personal gratification so it had to be religious.

The wind was Norbynorwest... (an old nautical term from my sailing days) and steady as she blew over the yardarm. Which we spliced at an attractive new guest house nearby on the way home.