Chinese Tourists Cancel Trips To Phuket Due To Unstable Politics

webfact

Chinese tourists cancel trips to Phuket due to unstable politics

PHUKET: -- (TNA) Thirty per cent of Chinese tourists have cancelled their room reservations in the southern resort town of Phuket until mid-March due to fears about Thailand’s politics and a planned mass rally by the Red Shirt protesters.

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Phuket director Bangornrat Chinaprayoon said the political turmoil has started to have effects on the province’s tourism, especially from Chinese travellers, but has not yet impacted European visitor arrivals.

As demonstrators of the United Front Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) plan a large-scale rally on March 14 following the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions’ ruling against ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, seizing Bt46 billion of his assets, Chinese tourists are sensitive to the circumstances and said they will be monitoring the situation for some time.

Chinese travellers are one of the most important visitor segments to the province, ranking fourth among tourists from all countries.

According to Ms Bangornrat, more than 70 charter flights from China flew directly to Phuket in February, bringing over 20,000 tourists to the Andaman resort island.

Meanwhile, a hotel sales manager in the province said many Chinese visitors do not understand the ongoing political situation and a group of some 200 Chinese postponed their seminar at the hotel in order to wait and see the result of the upcoming Red Shirt rally.

The hotel executive advised TAT Phuket to clarify the situation to the Chinese press based in Thailand. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-02

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The stupidity of assuming there were going to be riots and protests last Friday, is part of the problem. Anyone that's been around for awhile knew not much was going to happen, but some news outlets had to bang the drums of "trouble".

I think there are additional reasons for the Chinese cancelations and the political atmosphere is a convenient excuse. What seems to have gone under the radar are the coach crashes, and the negative fallout from the tuk tuks and jetskis. The insurance solution is now falling apart, there are no lifeguards and there are rumours floating around in China that Phuket is dangerous. I heard of one urban myth of a family that was murdered. Completely unfounded and ridiculous. but the byproduct of not managing a situation properly. My understanding is that the Japanese and Korean numbers are down as well.

The stupidity of assuming there were going to be riots and protests last Friday, is part of the problem. Anyone that's been around for awhile knew not much was going to happen, but some news outlets had to bang the drums of "trouble".

I think there are additional reasons for the Chinese cancelations and the political atmosphere is a convenient excuse. What seems to have gone under the radar are the coach crashes, and the negative fallout from the tuk tuks and jetskis. The insurance solution is now falling apart, there are no lifeguards and there are rumours floating around in China that Phuket is dangerous. I heard of one urban myth of a family that was murdered. Completely unfounded and ridiculous. but the byproduct of not managing a situation properly. My understanding is that the Japanese and Korean numbers are down as well.

If there is one thing to put the willy's up Chinese tourists it is the possibility of civil unrest. In a country where the armed forces are used to "control" (diplomatically put) the people regularly and there is huge distrust of their government, they don't want to even get close to anything approaching a riot let alone one in a foreign country.

Don't forget that they have all been told since birth that Junguo is the safest, most idyllic place on earth and that out there is the bogeyman.

I thought this would be the case. However, I have three friends coming from China in a week or so, and when they checked with the travel agent for direct flight from Shanghai to Phuket a couple of days ago, they were told all the flights are fully booked!!!

I thought this would be the case. However, I have three friends coming from China in a week or so, and when they checked with the travel agent for direct flight from Shanghai to Phuket a couple of days ago, they were told all the flights are fully booked!!!

The evidence on the ground here is that there are loads and loads of Chinese visitors currently, so I don't know where this article gets it's data from.

If there is one thing to put the willy's up Chinese tourists it is the possibility of civil unrest. In a country where the armed forces are used to "control" (diplomatically put) the people regularly and there is huge distrust of their government, they don't want to even get close to anything approaching a riot let alone one in a foreign country.

Don't forget that they have all been told since birth that Junguo is the safest, most idyllic place on earth and that out there is the bogeyman.

I have to disagree: this is completely untrue. In fact, Chinese people are not told that China is "the safest, most idyllic place on earth ", and most of them think Switzerland and France are the best countries to live in, if they can afford it. My chinese friends insist that they want to visit Bangkok in Mid March totally against my advice. It is inappropriate to stereotype and judge a country and its people without really knowing it.

I have to disagree: this is completely untrue. In fact, Chinese people are not told that China is "the safest, most idyllic place on earth ", and most of them think Switzerland and France are the best countries to live in, if they can afford it. My chinese friends insist that they want to visit Bangkok in Mid March totally against my advice. It is inappropriate to stereotype and judge a country and its people without really knowing it.

I would believe that China is generally largely safe and that many Chinese believe their country to be superior to many. Most Chinese would like to live in France or Switzerland? I am sure the Chinese government would be overjoyed to see the study that shows that one.

They yearn for Switzerland much like many believe that London has fog, people always drink tea and the French wear striped t-shirts and have onions around their necks.

The percentage of Chinese that are regular overseas travellers is tiny in comparison with the country, and for many, coming to Thailand is a first, hence why they get the willy's when hearing about police and riots. If you believe that Chinese tourists think they are going to be afforded any protection in a riot in South East Asia, read your modern history. If your friends are regular travellers, they are not the same as many tourists coming to the beach in Thailand. Many are complete newbies.

I have lived and worked up there for many years, and whilst the people are in themselves very good people and I have many friends there, they have a cloak of nationalism that can be put on at the drop of a hat if required.

They yearn for Switzerland much like many believe that London has fog, people always drink tea and the French wear striped t-shirts and have onions around their necks.

you mean that's not true. I'll cancel my travel plans!

Unfortunately Thaksin don’t really care about the truism and life of thousand Thais who depend on the truism. He only cares about creating panic. I guess the like crying wolf; it will be effective for a while till it becomes obvious he is no longer in command of anything.

Also remember truism is a global business with a lot competition. All other countries will make Thailand very dangerous so the tourist will not come her an go to their countries instead.

:)

I'm sure that:

1. For every Chinese canceling his/her trip to Phuket, there is another one quite ready to go.

2. There are too many tourists in Phuket anyhow...if 30% less show up that would only be a good thing.

3. The two cities that are not needed in Thailand are Phuket and Pattaya. Here's hoping for the next Tsunami to strike Pattaya.

Have a nice day, all.

:D

"Chinese tourists cancel trips to Phuket due to unstable politics"

this could be said with all inbound groups, as stated, Chinese is the 4th largest visitor to Thailand.

the downturn in tourism is a true factor partially stemming from the unstable Thai government along with

bad publicity, poor thai travel industry management & general etiquitte and education.