Laptop/notebook Problem

wilson steer

If I adjust the display on my laptop/notebook, I lose my display completely, even closing and opening it again does not help. However turning off and starting up again and everything is O.K. as long as I don't adjust the display screen.

It is an advent, about two years old and has one hinge, is this a physical wire problem, how does information reach the hinged screen anyway, or else something serious?

Any help or advice would be good, perhaps getting this problem sorted out here in the LOS will be less expensive than PC world in the U.K.

If I adjust the display on my laptop/notebook, I lose my display completely, even closing and opening it again does not help. However turning off and starting up again and everything is O.K. as long as I don't adjust the display screen.

It is an advent, about two years old and has one hinge, is this a physical wire problem, how does information reach the hinged screen anyway, or else something serious?

Any help or advice would be good, perhaps getting this problem sorted out here in the LOS will be less expensive than PC world in the U.K.

Cable fracture in your display right were the hinge is probably. you can try to have someone replace the cable, but mostly they are not seperatly available except from repair from factory.

By "adjusting" do you mean adjusting the display's orientation or by adjusting the brightness/contrast? If brightness/contrast, do you adjust by using a physical means (dial/slider) or by a function key?

A thin ribbon cable is used to connect the screen to the notebook. It shouldn't have worn out this fast. Doesn't explain why it works after turning off the notebook.

wilson steer - Have seen this problem a number of times. In two (2) cases it was caused by a DOS game damaging Windows drivers which turned off the screens backlight. A Windows reinstall corrected the problem. Check to see if your screen is still working, by viewing it from an angle, in semi bright light. If you can see a "washed out" dim image, then the backlight is turned off, but the LCD screen is still working.

In one case, it was caused by a "sticky" on-off switch.

In the other cases, the ribbon cable (which is actually a "flexable" printed circuit silkscreened onto a plastic strip) had developed a crack in one of its tracks, or became "unseated" from either the screen or PC board connectors.

Unless your very technically oriented, would leave any repairs requiring opening of laptop to qualified service personnel, preferably a factory authorized repair center. If the cable or switch is the problem, repair costs should be minimum. (From your description, it appears the backlight is working, so be grateful, as that is one of, or the most expensive item to repair.)

Finally, be sure to backup all important data before attempting a system restore or mechanical repair.

cheers :o