Anarchy Rules The Roads In Lamai

Despite the ONE WAY signs, each time I drive through Lamai on the beach road, I come dangerously close to clipping a motorbike head on. Both Thais and farangs ignore the one way system there, but in Chaweng I have rarely seen a motor cycle doing this. Is it due to a higher quality tourist or IQ in Chaweng or are they more civic minded ?

When they made most of Chaweng Beach Road one way, the BIB had a concerted campaign to stop drivers going the wrong way. They stopped everyone. Seemed to have sunk in now. However, I don't think I've ever seen a cop in that part of Lamai so averyone ignores the flow!!! :)

When they made most of Chaweng Beach Road one way, the BIB had a concerted campaign to stop drivers going the wrong way. They stopped everyone. Seemed to have sunk in now. However, I don't think I've ever seen a cop in that part of Lamai so averyone ignores the flow!!! :D

Still do, now occasional even at "The Link"connecting "Beach Rd." with the "Lakeside Drive", on Beach Rd. is a sign NO right turn!

Still people do and pay a fine!

I believe it comes down to ONE, yes one very active and stringent BiB, the one with the Moustache and often in high shaft boots, large Traffic Police Motorcycle!

The other day even saw one chasing a bike which didn't stop, up Beach Rd.!

But then helmets....? :)

When they made most of Chaweng Beach Road one way, the BIB had a concerted campaign to stop drivers going the wrong way. They stopped everyone. Seemed to have sunk in now. However, I don't think I've ever seen a cop in that part of Lamai so averyone ignores the flow!!! :D

Still do, now occasional even at "The Link"connecting "Beach Rd." with the "Lakeside Drive", on Beach Rd. is a sign NO right turn!

Still people do and pay a fine!

I believe it comes down to ONE, yes one very active and stringent BiB, the one with the Moustache and often in high shaft boots, large Traffic Police Motorcycle!

The other day even saw one chasing a bike which didn't stop, up Beach Rd.!

But then helmets....? :)

:D Should be a gold mine for the BiB or are they so fat they don't need this legitimate source of funds. One evening last year the BiB were stationed outside Family Mart next to the Round Bars and must have fined hundreds. At the current rate of miscreants at B400 a fine, that amounts to about Baht 100K a day ! If the local cops are too busy, place the Farang "police" volunteers there (to advise fellow farangs) :D

it's all about BiB presence - in lamai, they're as rare as a good looking BG.

personally, I adhere to the one-way system in both areas (lamai and chaweng) and detest the ar5seholes who come the wrong way in lamai - what makes them so special? :)

IMO both beaches should be one way for anything larger than a motorbike (eg cars, trucks, songthaews) but the bikes should have freedom to drive both ways. that would tackle congestion and still allow the easy access that motorbikes should provide.

A little off topic, but saw several school kids (in school uniform) doing speed trials, and wheelies in the tescos lamai car park yesterday afternoon whilst the stupid looking security guards looked on.

I agree with Carmine, It is the whole island. I have rode in many area's of this country and in other countries with much worse traffic and drivers than thailand does.

Generaly speaking I find the roads and traffic here quite good, I just rode from phuket to Samui yesterday and thought it was a really great ride.

Once back on Samui though the maddness on the roads begin.

I admit I am very new to Samui but can see very easily the problem begins with the Big trucks, pick ups and cars speeding down the roads with a "go,go" attitude and passing every chance they get, this in turn speeds up the way the bikes drive because they don't want to be rubbed out or become a speck on the window of some water truck.

That is not to say there are not poor scooter drivers or other issues, I just think that if some of the danger of being run over was taking away it would help to slow things down.

When they made most of Chaweng Beach Road one way, the BIB had a concerted campaign to stop drivers going the wrong way. They stopped everyone. Seemed to have sunk in now. However, I don't think I've ever seen a cop in that part of Lamai so averyone ignores the flow!!! :)

they do a road block in lamui every now and then. by the rescue center. they catch everyone. for me i like to shout at the people i narrowingly miss. if i hit them then it is there fault. when i drive motor bike. i always go the long way round cause i know how angry i get with other people. there has been a few cars go the wrong way also. maybe they ar first timers and get confussd by the bikes. baa baa sheep style

A little off topic, but saw several school kids (in school uniform) doing speed trials, and wheelies in the tescos lamai car park yesterday afternoon whilst the stupid looking security guards looked on.

thats what i like about thailand. people can still have fun. yes it is a bit dangerous but what isn't

Yeah, when i was sitting in the Outback in Lamai i said to my friend who works there "is this not supposed to be a one way system?"....she just laughed and said "everyone just drives wherever they want here and it's very rarely enforced"!

Chaweng beach road isn't nearly as bad but i did almost get knocked down by some idiot flying down it the wrong way. I'll not repeat my words as i'll get barred but a rough translation would be "hello my friend, very nice to meet you in such circumstances but do you not realise this is a one way system and you almost caused me major harm and a big hospital bill, please remember this and be on your way and have a lovely day"....well that's the very polite translation of what i actually did say to him...... :)

they do a road block in lamui every now and then. by the rescue center. they catch everyone. for me i like to shout at the people i narrowingly miss. if i hit them then it is there fault. when i drive motor bike. i always go the long way round cause i know how angry i get with other people. there has been a few cars go the wrong way also. maybe they ar first timers and get confussd by the bikes. baa baa sheep style

what? you mean road rage :)

what? you mean road rage :)

Ooooh, you can't have road rage here, it would cause an outrage... :D

I always go the wrong way on the beach road from macdonalds to the bridge but not the other one opposite outback as you can easily get a back road down to beach road i think it's far safer than taking on the ring road, especially at night. :)

yes if i do, do it then i accapt that if i have an accident then it is my fault. so i will just have to take the rap. its not like i don't know it is 1 way. so if someone wants to politly or impolitly or even smash my face in or run me over then i am guilty as charged your honer

I was surprised how little traffic was on highway 44, almost none at all.

arh yes the highway 44. lol. i have had countless trucks on the wrong side of the road in the out side land coming head on towards me. many times. i have to laugh. it is quite comical how stupid people can be.