Be Careful In This Heat

ricinchiangmai

hi to all

just had news on here of friends in essan have had a friend die at 10.30 yesterday working on his fishpond

from someones thats worked outside all his life and other countries

dont work in sun after 10, if u have to work in shade and drink lots

take plenty breaks inside

its not same sun as back home, hottest at 12 noon

its hot by 10am

yes i know cooler here but please be careful out there

use ur brains and for gods sake dont drink beer if u workin in sun

beer tastes better when ur finished and in the shade :)

To the OP, sorry to hear about your friend or friend's friend but he didn't die of either heat stroke or heat stress. He clearly had an underlying medical condition which may have been exacerbated by a warm temperature and physical effort.

Heat stroke is rarely fatal. "although it can be"

Heat stress is very often fatal. "particularly if not identified and remedial measures taken"

Having said that Thailand is not what is considered a "hot temperature country"

Having work in the health field in countries where outdoor temperatures exceed 60C I have more than a passing knowledge of both heat stress and heat stroke.

How do you think they would ever build anything in Australia for example if everyone retired to an air conditioned office when it gets a bit warm.

There are ways of working in hot climates and not be exposed to the risk of heat stroke / stress. And that is not necessarily by by only working working up to 10.00.

I don't denigrate the intentions of the OP but you gotta base what you say on facts and not some mythical opinion which has no scientific foundation.

And yes beer is not he best liquid to imbibe in a hot climate (neither a cold climate for that matter)

To the OP, sorry to hear about your friend or friend's friend but he didn't die of either heat stroke or heat stress. He clearly had an underlying medical condition which may have been exacerbated by a warm temperature and physical effort.

Heat stroke is rarely fatal. "although it can be"

Heat stress is very often fatal. "particularly if not identified and remedial measures taken"

"you gotta base what you say on facts and not some mythical opinion which has no scientific foundation."

"And yes beer is not he best liquid to imbibe in a hot climate (neither a cold climate for that matter)"

I bow to your special knowledge regarding heat stress and stroke and what you say sounds very reasonable.

But I'm not sure that the above statement is "based on fact" ; at least without some qualification. It seems to be generally recognised in medical circles these days that one or two units of beer or wine daily, is good for the heart.

The heat might have triggered it, but not caused it!

RIP!

NO Alcohol, or very little after Sunset, no coffee, cooling drinks like lemon soda/water..and lot's of it,

when sweating excessively, electrolytes!

The heat might have triggered it, but not caused it!

RIP!

NO Alcohol, or very little after Sunset, no coffee, cooling drinks like lemon soda/water..and lot's of it,

when sweating excessively, electrolytes!

No alcohol is a bit much isn't it? :)

Agree about the electrolytes and I purchase a carton of 100 sachets for a couple of hundred baht and take one every morning during the hot season.

Also, bike riders - remember to rehydrate regularly as you won't feel as hot with the cool breeze riding generates but sure as eggs are eggs, you'll still be losing fluids.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Agree about the electrolytes and I purchase a carton of 100 sachets for a couple of hundred baht and take one every morning during the hot season.

what name, and where do you purchase those from please?

as i wouldnt mind trying those out. I have a real problem during the summer season, ie feeling tired and lethargic

... snip ... I bow to your special knowledge regarding heat stress and stroke and what you say sounds very reasonable.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Asmermom,

Of course our first thought is one of sympathy for the recent death of the farang and Issarn and his family.

Truly wish we had a bona fide medical doctor with knowledge of tropical medicine posting here for the benefit of us all ~

The idea that "Krakatoa's" statements on heat reflect any "knowledge" is something you should seriously question, and do your own reasearch on. In fact, we would hypothesize that Krakatoa's rambling fantasies might be a symptom of mental confusion resulting from heat-stress.

Do remember, in the case of "Kratkatoa," you are hearing from the same "mind" that recently asserted that some of the motorcyclists run-down by an out-of-control truck in Lamphun were probably partially to blame for their own deaths.

When "Krakatoa" says that he has worked in countries with temperatures in excess of 60C (that's 140 Fahrenheit), we don't which to question: his sanity, his honesty, or his thermometer. In any case we think that's absolute bs. But, who knows, perhaps "Krakatoa" was in Libya in 1922 when it reached a world-record-breaking 69C.

The only place you are liable to encounter temperatures in excess of 60C are in a closed car on a hot day, and every year, in places like Arizona, in the US, children or dogs die when left in a sealed car in hot weather with temperatures nowhere near 60C.

Suggest you take a look at this 2009 summary article by medical researchers : HeatStroke by Helman and Habel and, of course, Wikipedia : Heat Stroke

"Heat Stroke," and heat-related conditions can be deadly, they are a major killer of persons in nations like Mali and Tunisia. A major source of death among young athletes, even in so-called "developed nations."

It's important to get clear about "heat stroke," "heat stress," dehydration, and hypoxia (lack of oxygen). If you are overweight, have a heart condition, etc.: your mileage may vary: you may be more at risk.

And, for those of us living in Chiang Mai, yes, the sun can be deadly. A friend of ours in the Mae Jo area claims that several years ago his digital thermometer showed 53C (127 F) in the shade at his house: that's the highest we've ever heard of, here.

And, yes, there are simple ways to avoid getting wiped out by the sun which we all know : hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, take electrolytes, salt, and, above all, stay out of the sun, and keep your flesh covered, particularly your head, when you are out in it.

to your health, in the spirit of: (supposedly from the Kabbala) "question everything, trust nothing."

~o:37;

Edited by orang37

what name, and where do you purchase those from please?

as i wouldnt mind trying those out. I have a real problem during the summer season, ie feeling tired and lethargic

The brand I've been getting is "Me Lyte" (orange flavoured in an orange coloured packet/box) and I get it from the wonderful ladies at Peera Pharmacy on Ratchadamnoen. They are half a dozen doors in on the left if you are coming from Tha Pae. Actually, I'll plug those ladies (no pun intended) as they are both very knowledgeable pharmacists and understand/speak perfect English.

Cheers,

Pikey.

How do you think they would ever build anything in Australia for example if everyone retired to an air conditioned office when it gets a bit warm.

Yes Krakatoa, I feel that orang37 has already exposed your other lies for what they are, so I just wanted to indicate to you that in Australia there are workplace OH&S (Occupational Health and Safety) Laws that prevent people in certain working fields working once a temprature reaches a certain level. It varies depending on what field of work is being conducted. So in fact you are right, often people in Australia, stop work and retire to either a cool spot or airconditioning and wait for more appropriate tempratures to work in.

[Asmeom ; snip ... I bow to your special knowledge regarding heat stress and stroke and what you say sounds very reasonable.]

Of course our first thought is one of sympathy for the recent death of the farang and Issarn and his family.

we would hypothesize that Krakatoa's rambling fantasies might be a symptom of mental confusion resulting from heat-stress.

Do remember, in the case of "Kratkatoa," you are hearing from the same "mind" that recently asserted that some of the motorcyclists run-down by an out-of-control truck in Lamphun were probably partially to blame for their own deaths.

In any case we think that's absolute bs. But, who knows, perhaps "Krakatoa" was in Libya in 1922 when it reached a world-record-breaking 69C.

The only place you are liable to encounter temperatures in excess of 60C are in a closed car on a hot day, and every year, in places like Arizona, in the US, children or dogs die when left in a sealed car in hot weather with temperatures nowhere near 60C.

"Heat Stroke," and heat-related conditions can be deadly, they are a major killer of persons in nations like Mali and Tunisia. A major source of death among young athletes, even in so-called "developed nations."

If you are overweight, have a heart condition, etc.: your mileage may vary: you may be more at risk.

And, for those of us living in Chiang Mai, yes, the sun can be deadly. A friend of ours in the Mae Jo area claims that several years ago his digital thermometer showed 53C (127 F) in the shade at his house: that's the highest we've ever heard of, here.

And, yes, there are simple ways to avoid getting wiped out by the sun which we all know : hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, take electrolytes, salt, and, above all, stay out of the sun, and keep your flesh covered, particularly your head, when you are out in it.

Since you head your somewhat ascerbic post with a few words of mine I feel like claiming a sort of "right of reply' to briefly analyse your appended remarks. You choose to hypothesize that the simple,staightforward, reasonable, common sense, observations of Krakatoa are "rambling fantasies" symptomatic of heat stress and futher denigrate his powers of reasoning by implying that his assertion that those recent and most tragic motorcycle deaths may possibly have been partially self inflicted is so utterly ludicrous as to render his sanity suspect.

Raising that delicate question, distasteful as it may seem, does not detract from its possibility. I have very rarely seen motorcyclists, as a group, wait for the lights to turn green before impetuously speeding off and to raise such an issue in the light of the dreadful carnage, obscene as it may appear,suggests to me neither a morally deformed nor a mentally impaired mind but one that is ready to fearlessly contemplate all sides of a question regardless of how uncomfortable it makes us feel in an effort to ascertain the truth.

The remainder of your remarks might be seen ,on balance, to largely support Krakatoa's innocuous observations or "rambling fantasies" as you quirkily characterise them. But you do seem to have a bee in you bonnet regarding Mr. Krakatoa and for all I know, its prescence there may be justified, but it does tend to flavour your opinions not with that sweet honey you often raptureously recall, but with the slightly astrigent taste of a bitter lemon.

My remarks will no doubt suffer from not taking your excellent advice to research the subject by reading medical journals and Wikipedia but "life is too short to stuff a mushroom".

Edited by Asmerom

Zero Mostel, the late, great comedian (rest his bones), had a sketch he used to do where he impersonated a southern Senator from the United States in a hearing on the origins of World War II. At one point in his comedy routine Mostel, in character as redneck Senator, would shout out : "What was Pearl Harbor doing in the Pacific ?" Later, an author, William Ryan, wrote a book with the title "Blaming the Victim," where he recounted Zero's routine.

To whom you bow is no concern of mine, but the article linked to in my reply was not to a medical journal, but to a good summary about heat-stroke and heat-stress written for a lay audience by medical doctors. You'll never know unless you look.

Maybe the "common sense" thoughts of a down-to-earth man who's lived near the Sonoran desert for sixty years on water and survival would interest you : Tom Kollenborn on Survival in the Sonoran Desert

best, ~o:37;

There are a lot of variables that can lead up to heat stroke. Dehydration can be caused by several different factors besides just evaporation. I am like a camel moar of the times and don't need to drink a lot in the heat. But, if I eat a lot of fruit like tomatoes, oranges and pineapple, then their acidic makeup turns my bladder into a tap and I quickly drain out my precious bodily fluids. I get headaches when I dehydrate and it's the first sign that I need to rehydrate quickly. Also, my muscles don't work as smoothly when I'm dehydrated. I recently got a muscle tear in my calf for just that reason.

... snip ... I bow to your special knowledge regarding heat stress and stroke and what you say sounds very reasonable.

Truly wish we had a bona fide medical doctor with knowledge of tropical medicine posting here for the benefit of us all ~

The idea that "Krakatoa's" statements on heat reflect any "knowledge" is something you should seriously question, and do your own reasearch on. In fact, we would hypothesize that Krakatoa's rambling fantasies might be a symptom of mental confusion resulting from heat-stress.

When "Krakatoa" says that he has worked in countries with temperatures in excess of 60C (that's 140 Fahrenheit), we don't which to question: his sanity, his honesty, or his thermometer. In any case we think that's absolute bs. But, who knows, perhaps "Krakatoa" was in Libya in 1922 when it reached a world-record-breaking 69C.

Suggest you take a look at this 2009 summary article by medical researchers : HeatStroke by Helman and Habel and, of course, Wikipedia : Heat Stroke

It's important to get clear about "heat stroke," "heat stress," dehydration, and hypoxia (lack of oxygen). If you are overweight, have a heart condition, etc.: your mileage may vary: you may be more at risk.

to your health, in the spirit of: (supposedly from the Kabbala) "question everything, trust nothing."

I am not here to defend my opinions but the north western area of WA has the highest average temperatures on the planet.

I have experienced temperatures in the shade exceeding 60 C and you don't get a lot of shade in the outback of WA. And work has continued. And I am not talking decades ago, I was in the Pilbara less than two months ago.

As for the legislation in Australia, Australia's, Occupational Safety & Health Act (151 pages) of 1984 and Occupational Safety & Health Regulations (371 pages) of 1996 (along with revisions) is amongst the most strigent OH & S legislation on the planet.

You can talk about OSHA and NEBOSH but neither exceed the requirements of the WA legislation.

I can send you copies of both documents upon receipt of an address, the cost of a ream of A4 paper, plus cost of printer cartridges and a money order for the postage costs.

On the subject of the motorcycle deaths again for those that wish to bury their collective heads in the sand, so be it.

One simple example occurred immediately in front of me this afternoon. I was travelling west on Thapae, the lights at Charoen Prathet / Thapae had long gone to the red phase, traffic was entering the intersection from Charoen Prathet and a middle aged male national drove straight thru the intersection (going west) on the red.

Had he suffered a fate such as death or serious injury I may have stopped to render assistance but I would still sleep soundly tonight.

If people do not want to take responsibility for their own actions (I am talking about adult persons and not kindergarten children) my response would be "som nam naa"

There are none so blind as those that do not want to see :)

As Bertnard used to say "I don't give a hoot" or in other words why should I give a shyt. Self preservation of myself and those close to me are all I am interested in.

And finally to you orang37 perhaps if you had the mental capacity to thoroughly read what people post your comments might be given a little more credibility. I refer to you saying and I quote "that some of the motorcyclists run-down by an out-of-control truck in Lamphun were probably partially to blame for their own deaths" I believe the words that I used were that but there is still the distinct possibility possibly NOT probably.

And, I stand by that comment and make no apology for doing so.

Now I am going to the bathroom to throw up. Sanctimonious folk have that affect on me. Fortunately you are in a minority.

Edited by krakatoa

There are a lot of variables that can lead up to heat stroke. Dehydration can be caused by several different factors besides just evaporation. I am like a camel moar of the times and don't need to drink a lot in the heat. But, if I eat a lot of fruit like tomatoes, oranges and pineapple, then their acidic makeup turns my bladder into a tap and I quickly drain out my precious bodily fluids. I get headaches when I dehydrate and it's the first sign that I need to rehydrate quickly. Also, my muscles don't work as smoothly when I'm dehydrated. I recently got a muscle tear in my calf for just that reason.

Im suprised To hear the effect fruit has upon you. I go the same way when i get dehydrated, but I find eating fruit is my best way of staying hydrated. If i drink loads of water it just runs straight out of me, taking all my minerals with it. I was getting ill in the heat in Thailand, and someone sujested to me it was cos I was drinking Reverse osmosis filtered water.(has it written on the bottle) This not only washes through me, but is actually more likely to absorb salts and minerals, coz it is just pure water. Good mineral water, although it may not put minerals into your body, at least doesnt absorb them out of it. I started drinking mineral water and felt a lot better. I started eating fruit aswell, but it seemed far to healthy, so i reverted back to burgers. :)

Yeah, it's been da#n HOT lately and summer is comming on stronger and faster than I've seen it in the 10 yrs I've been here.

Excuse me while I rant about this hot weather .................it makes me stupid, lazy, irritable and gives me a headache and we still have maybe 3 more months of increasing temps. I'm planning to do my outside work early in the mornings and spend the rest of the days indoors....hiding from this da#n sun.

Maybe a few more trips to the high elevations this summer.......

Im suprised To hear the effect fruit has upon you. I go the same way when i get dehydrated, but I find eating fruit is my best way of staying hydrated. If i drink loads of water it just runs straight out of me, taking all my minerals with it. I was getting ill in the heat in Thailand, and someone sujested to me it was cos I was drinking Reverse osmosis filtered water.(has it written on the bottle) This not only washes through me, but is actually more likely to absorb salts and minerals, coz it is just pure water. Good mineral water, although it may not put minerals into your body, at least doesnt absorb them out of it. I started drinking mineral water and felt a lot better. I started eating fruit aswell, but it seemed far to healthy, so i reverted back to burgers. :D

It might only be me, but I believe everyone's chemical makeup is slightly different. However, I was only referring to an EXCESSIVE amount of certain fruits... such as oranges. I tend to pig out on them and I believe it throws my chemical balance out of wack... just as too much of anything will cause problems. If you eat a lot of bananas (which are good for you because of their potassium) it seems they have a side effect of attracting mosquitos. Garlic, on the other hand, seems to repel mosquitos... and other humans. :)

That is an interesting concept about pure, bottled water. I never even gave it much thought. I can drink the water right out of the tap in my home on Vancouver Island, but I ONLY drink bottled water in Thailand. I don't trust the filter systems in Thai hotels.

What actual temperatures are you getting in Chiang Mai at the moment? BBC says around 36C. What does your thermometer say?

At 1430 hrs local, thermometer on my shady balcony (downtown) reads 34C - but it feels hotter.

Sorry to hear about the guy who died. RIP.

Rgds

Edited by piercefilmlid

What actual temperatures are you getting in Chiang Mai at the moment? BBC says around 36C. What does your thermometer say?

I'll tell you just as soon as I take it out of my butt. :) I gotta wait another 5 minutes for an accurate temperature. I'm not sure I should have used such a large themometer, though. :D Are you supposed to take it off that metal thingy it's attached to?

I'll tell you just as soon as I take it out of my butt. :) I gotta wait another 5 minutes for an accurate temperature. I'm not sure I should have used such a large themometer, though. :D Are you supposed to take it off that metal thingy it's attached to?

Yea it mite help to remove that metal thingy particularly when you switch over to oral usage. :D

To be honest it'd not maximum hot yet. Once the pollution clears early April then you'll really see hot with temperatures close to 40 degrees.

Especially the mornings remain fairly cool for now.

Come April I may need to turn on the aircon. (Though even now I spend mos of the day downstairs where it's coolest.)

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

Khun GreaseMonkey's comment:

If i drink loads of water it just runs straight out of me, taking all my minerals with it. I was getting ill in the heat in Thailand, and someone sujested to me it was cos I was drinking Reverse osmosis filtered water.(has it written on the bottle) This not only washes through me, but is actually more likely to absorb salts and minerals, coz it is just pure water. Good mineral water, although it may not put minerals into your body, at least doesnt absorb them out of it. I started drinking mineral water and felt a lot better.

on bottled water and minerals makes us want to know what, if any, electrolyte replenishing value good-quality bottled water labeled as "mineral water" might contain. We'd also like to know if there's any scientific study showing that drinking lots of water which has been processed by "reverse osmosis" results in excretion/deplenishment of minerals or salts in the urine rapidly : thanks for raising the questions, Khun GreaseMonkey. Interestingly we know one serious body-builder who swears that gulping a lot of water rapidly before working out has some special impact on the benefit of his "extreme" work-outs.

Fully agree with our esteemed professional outdoorsman Khun Ian's statements dehydration is not a "one-size fits all" thing: that, as Ian said:

"There are a lot of variables that can lead up to heat stroke. Dehydration can be caused by several different factors besides just evaporation"; and: "There are a lot of variables that can lead up to heat stroke. Dehydration can be caused by several different factors besides just evaporation."

Probably important to keep in mind the dual mechanisms of water loss and electrolyte loss: they are linked, occur simultaneously most of the time in heat-stoke or stress, but are not necesarilly one and the same.

The human meat-package we are dually incarnate in (with the Orangutan within a johnny-come-lately upgrade) has an unusually slow metabolism, for example: his human body can tolerate swimming in extremely cold water that few people can tolerate without wet-suits. When he exercises, he sweats buckets, but does not get dizzy, and simply drinking water seems to restore his balance just fine.

In World War II scientists who studied survival rates of air crews forced down into freezing North Atlantic waters found an amazing variability in how long crew members survived (absent significant wounds, loss of blood, etc.). Some succumbed to hypothermia in fifteen minutes, others lasted a few hours.

Of course a banana (for carbs and potassium) never hurts either, particularly when made into a "smoothie" with nice fresh home-made soy milk :) as a post work-out drink.

What makes Khun Ian urinate a lot may not be the same as what makes our human body urinate a lot. Can lifestyle and accustomization play a role ?: we think so: it's been years since we had any form of cola drink: we had one last month, and it caused us to urinate frequently over a period of hours, as well as giving us a "vascular headache," and "throwing off" our sleep cycle.

In the case of this human physical container, the weight loss (15kg or so), and switch to a 90% soy-milk diet following successful cancer treatment, has, in the last three years, made a big difference in its tolerance to heat: we are now quite comfortable with the air-con set to 28 C, where before we really needed 24C to feel most mentally alive, and capable of deep concentration.

We'd like to know, on a scientific basis, if there might be a relationship between eating a big meal, or a lot of food quickly, and then going out in the sun ... compared to a smaller meal ... might make a difference in susceptibility to heat-stress: we know in terms of this physical body that its permanent loss of taste and "real" physical appetite, resulting in a desire to eat several small meals a day, rather than its previous patterns of two big meals, has made us less prone to states of "torpor." But, that's a hypothesis. And perhaps the sheer slowness of this human body's metabolism resulted in, comparatively, more torpor after eating to satiety than others (the human's farang ex-wife long ago had a hyper-metabolism and would pass out if she didn't have some kind of "meal" every five-to-six hours: he used to refer to himself and ex-wife as "crocodile and hummingbird").

On the other hand tolerance to direct exposure to sunlight seems to be more "traumatic" than ever, and we avoid it "religiously." Part of that avoidance, though, has to do with the fact the said human (sans orang) grew up in Florida in the 1950's, and was always running around bare-shirted in the sun, and frequently had severe sun-burns: so we're paranoid about skin cancer.

Wish we had a specialist in tropical medicine, or a sports-medicine doctor who works with athletes, posting here, on this topic, for the benefit of us all !

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

I dunno about scientific studys, just my experience. I do know pure water is un-natural and will try to absorb anything it can, my logic being if its already got minerals in it, it wont try to absorb anymore. I used to guzzle salt to stave off a mega headache till i stopped drinking reverse osmosis water. As for those 'orible electrolite powders, ughh, I'll stick to salt.