Hair Straightening Revisited

sbk

I will be headed to Bangkok soon and think I am going to go for the straightening. Just not sure what kind. I know a member recommended the brazilian keratin treatment as having no formaldehyde but I found sites that said it had very high concentrations of formaldehyde. And then you have to be careful what shampoos you use too, apparently.

But then the Japanese one seems pretty extreme.

I need something that goes with colored hair, which makes the keratin treatment recommended. I also would like to be able to style it a bit, so the "soft straightening" seems better.

Would love anyone else's experiences on this one, either first hand or second hand,

signed

tired of blow drying and flat ironing my hair!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i've done rebonding here a few times here, always using shiseido brand chemicals.

not sure what you mean about the japanese one seeming extreme. it will straighten your hair and make it flat and shiny but that's what the process is supposed to do. shiseido also has chemicals for the milder version that doesn't make your hair stick straight, although a hairstylist here told me that soft straightening is more about the time the chemicals are left in for than different chemicals. not sure i believe that tho.

colored hair should be fine but the process really strips the color out so you have to re-color a week or so after (you can't do it immediately after). if you have bleached hair most places will not do rebonding.

let us know where you end up and how it works out!

Low blow jamie. :D

Nah, just finally fed up with the frizz. But hey, once i get my hair straightened I will be sure to let you know so you can get your chest hair done. Alternatively, you can just go with a wax :)

• 2 weeks later...

I went for the brazilian keratin treatment as suggested by dgisler in the other older thread. Took a couple of hours, smelled something awful, but 3000 baht lighter and I am FRIZZ FREE! THANK GOD ALMIGHTY FRIZZ FREE AT LAST!

Sorry, Couldn't resist! Its been so many years, so much product, hair irons, blow dryers, special brushes etc.

Treatment is not as severe at the japanese one from the sounds of it (cheers eek for the blow by blow description of your experience with the japanese hair straightening). did a fair amt of online research and this washes out where the japanese one does not. So, special shampoos and not too much shampooing but, it should last about 3-5 months. Immediately after the treatment it was really straight and flat to my head. I waited about 4 days to shampoo (they said min 2) and after washing and letting it air dry, I was very pleased to see it had body but NO FRIZZ.

I will most assuredly do this again when it wears out.

I had it done as dgisler suggested at the Corner Salon off Rama IV, around the corner from the old Robinsons Silom and down about a block. You want Nang, you can email but you have to make an appt with her. She seems to only work after 3 pm and you'd best remind her one day before the appt.

Good for you SBK - glad you had a great experience...

For those who are still confused about keratin - its the latest Hair straightening method without chemically altering, keratin has actually been used and is very well known in every top salon in the world as Brazillian Keratin hair straightening, or keratin treatment. All the Holywood stars like Jeniffer Aniston use the stuff i believe, and its very popular with super models because it restores the hairs natural keratin and proteins after all the nasty chemicals and dyes models have to endure each week.

Brazillian keratin treatment restore the hairs natural keratin and then straightens the hair so that a high gloss shine and temporary straightening that can last 3-5 months, without chemically altering the hair or damaging the hair permanently. This makes it great for when you need to have treatment again on the new roots, because it works wonders on the hair and never damages the molecules.

Thailand has only got 2 salons that currently offer keratin hair straightening that i am aware of.

1. The Corner Hair Salon Bangkok- Near Silom on Rama 4 (run by Paweerada and very popular with expats - just google it and you will find hundreds of comments about paweerada)

2. ZENRED Hair Salon Bangkok at Monopoly Park (brand new concept salon in Monopoly Park experience mall) Rama 3

Keratin treatment is amazing and should soon replace re-bonding and harsh chemical treatments... unless you have super curly hair, in that case a relaxer can be used and then keratin treatment on top to get the super shine and keratin goodness.

I used to be in the fashion Industry - email me if you need any more info or helpful hints for Bangkok.

Edited by djlest

oops, got your name wrong, sorry about that!

Well, its on a week or so now, and I must say I am thrilled. For the first time in years, my hair is what I want it to be.

I think so. She recommended I actually color my hair before the process, said 1. won't be able to color again for some time and 2. it leaves the hair open to absorbing more. Unfortunately, I got this info after the girls had already started doing my hair (she wasn't very happy about that) so it was too late to color my hair but, never mind. I am still thrilled with being able to wash my hair and not dry it and it doesn't frizz up.

Bye bye straightening irons, bye by blow dryer :)

oops, got your name wrong, sorry about that!

Well, its on a week or so now, and I must say I am thrilled. For the first time in years, my hair is what I want it to be.

Without a photo, all we can do is just remember it the way it was :)

I'm v glad it worked out well for you SBK.

About 10-15 years ago I had my hair straightened in the UK. It was great for about 3 weeks (I think - it was a long time ago!), and then it started breaking off. I looked like Rod Stewart!

Funnily enough I liked it, but unfortunately nobody else did :) .

Things have obviously improved a lot since then.

smooth, soft, no frizz and best of all, I don't have to blow dry my hair straight and then iron it. Don't even have to iron it. Use the curling iron on it to give it some shape but its not stick straight, its got some body (after the first shampoo) and some wave but no frizz.

Unless you are feeling brave jamie? girls night out in bkk next month :)

depends when, worried about you and boo? they don't call me BKKjames for nothing :D

Well, we are looking for a stripper, and you aren't in too bad of shape. :D

Unless you are feeling brave jamie? girls night out in bkk next month :)

depends when, worried about you and boo? they don't call me BKKjames for nothing :D

Well, we are looking for a stripper, and you aren't in too bad of shape. :D

Besides the 12 pints of beer you owe me from the last go around, any additional modeling, will cost extra.

Hi all

I has just rebonded my hair a week ago at Chetta Lifestyle Salon. I'm so happy with the result and couldn't help not to speak up for them.

They are very attentive and professional and this make me feel very comfortable through out the 4 over hours of treatment. :D

The way they handled my hair is very difference from other places I tried before. They coated my hair with protective treatment cream before my rebonding to protect my hair. They are very patience by working on small portion of my hair at a time which was very time consuming. I have very frizzy and stubborn texture hair and has never received such a perfect result.

Take a look at their work at sites.google.com/site/chettasalon/customers and I trust you will believe why I'm so impress with them. :) They has just opened their 2nd outlet at On Nut 45 but I went to their other branch at Udom Suk 47.

I'm going back for color next week as my stylist suggested to dye after rebonding. As rebonding will drop my colored by 1-2 shades should I did my color before rebonding. Really... I'm looking for my next appointment with them.

Cheers and happy styling! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all

I has just rebonded my hair a week ago at Chetta Lifestyle Salon. I'm so happy with the result and couldn't help not to speak up for them.

They are very attentive and professional and this make me feel very comfortable through out the 4 over hours of treatment. :D

The way they handled my hair is very difference from other places I tried before. They coated my hair with protective treatment cream before my rebonding to protect my hair. They are very patience by working on small portion of my hair at a time which was very time consuming. I have very frizzy and stubborn texture hair and has never received such a perfect result.

Take a look at their work at sites.google.com/site/chettasalon/customers and I trust you will believe why I'm so impress with them. :) They has just opened their 2nd outlet at On Nut 45 but I went to their other branch at Udom Suk 47.

I'm going back for color next week as my stylist suggested to dye after rebonding. As rebonding will drop my colored by 1-2 shades should I did my color before rebonding. Really... I'm looking for my next appointment with them.

Cheers and happy styling! :D

If i did not know better i would say perhaps you are Chetta in disguise?

your English is rather Thai -

but good try Win

Anyways

@SBK

The Corner near Charn Isara tower just got some Brand new products in for The Aftercare keratin treatment, and its wonderful and should make the whole process last for a good 5 months.

I just got Deep conditioner and leave in spray...

So in theory - anyone getting Keratin treatment can either pop back in every month and get it retouched, or just buy the spray and do it at home.

If anyone is interested give Paweerada at The Corner a call

You can google 'the Corner Bangkok' and its easy to find

By the way the red shirts are camped on the opposite side to her shop - so the road is still open and yesterday was fine.

Adios...

Edited by djlest

• 3 months later...

Hello ladies...

I have been reading this forum since some time before, but just start posting today...

And I would like to share my experience at The Corner salon; I went yesterday, after considering the advice here. I have long wavy - curly hair, no problem before but here in Bkk it start to become really frizzy... So I went there and I did the keratine treatment and...what can I say... I still need some more time but those days it was raining and my hair didnt frizz anymore!

I will wait two more days before washing and after I tell you more.

pd: very friendly crew and they charged me 5000 b. (I have very long hair). They offered me some products for the after care -shampoo and cream- but I found them too much expensive -2000b) and I didnt bought them.

I waited a full week to wash my hair --after the first wash it is still silky and shiny but has more body.

You must use sulfate free shampoo, so read your shampoo content carefully or your money will be poorly spent as the sulfates will strip the treatment out of your hair more quickly.

I don't shampoo my hair that often, every 3-4 days but I do rinse it pretty regularly. If you color, do the roots only or the chemicals will strip the treatment as well.

And enjoy your non-frizzy hair. For the first time since I have lived in thailand I am happy with my hair. :)

A little bit more on the subject:

I finally washed my hair some days after the treatment, with a non-sulfate, organic shampoo (thanx, Sbk :-) and after shampooing I also applied the conditioning cream from the same label (I found both in a Watson' s drugstore around Siam square, each one at 390 bath). I didn' t dry my hair, and the final result it is: no more frizz!! with or without rain.

I have the same hair like before Thailand, it means: wavy - curly, shiny and soft, BUT no straighter than before (I did the strong treatment version and the hair stylist told me that I will loose some curls).

So...this is my experience.

I am thinking also, maybe doing the treatment during the monsoon season, here in Bkk, affects the final result, because the permeability of the hair and the high degree of humidity in the air.

:)

I waited a full week to wash my hair --after the first wash it is still silky and shiny but has more body.

You must use sulfate free shampoo, so read your shampoo content carefully or your money will be poorly spent as the sulfates will strip the treatment out of your hair more quickly.

I don't shampoo my hair that often, every 3-4 days but I do rinse it pretty regularly. If you color, do the roots only or the chemicals will strip the treatment as well.

And enjoy your non-frizzy hair. For the first time since I have lived in thailand I am happy with my hair. :)

James Mac is from California and is the best on western hair in Bangkok. He works with Miss Universe Natalie Glabova and is really talented. He carries products from the USA.

James Mac Salon near Asoke 087-937-7796 - ask for Justin

• 1 month later...

Great thread :) I definitely need this done (sick of blowdrying then running the irons through) and still debating whether to do before I fly out next friday from Aus or wait to get it done when I arrive.

When I lived in Pattaya, I used to go to the L'oreal salon upstairs at Festival Big C South Pattaya and love the way girls do my hair there (after 9 years of weekly visits, those girls know my hair :P) and I'm hoping that they also do it there. I really need my hair recoloured before the keratin treatment, and I know with the Keratin Complex treatment by Coppola, you can get your hair coloured before the treatment is done and it works best on damaged, processed hair (which mine is). I'm assumin the Brazilian will be the same.

Unless my girls in Pattaya do this, I'll have to check out the recommendations when we have to be in BKK on the monday :)

One question for the girls who've had it done .... when you get hair wet and you let it dry naturally, does it still look good. I just want to be able to go to the beach and get my hair wet without it looking fried :P

No fry. Mine comes out curlier than when I blow dry it, well, maybe more like wavy. But my hair looks soft, smooth and shiny ALL THE TIME! lol.

As you can see, I am a total convert. :P