Thailand's Cannabis Industry Faces Uncertain Future Amid Government Review

webfact

22 minutes ago, stoner said:

thailand is not all about the baht ? ahhhh this is planet earth calling are you there ? 

The current trend is that Thai officials are choosing not to allow cannabis to be legal thus turning away all those baht that are supposedly spent in Thailand by all those fine upstanding stoner tourists... have another toke.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

The current trend is that Thai officials are choosing not to allow cannabis to be legal thus turning away all those baht that are supposedly spent in Thailand by all those fine upstanding stoner tourists... have another toke.

ok.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The high-stakes discussion includes Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, Minister of Public Health Somsak Thepsuthin, and Minister of Justice Police Colonel Thavee Sodsong. If cannabis is reclassified, its use would be limited to medical purposes, focusing on enhanced addiction treatment programs. This decision could have far-reaching implications for businesses, particularly in tourist hotspots like Pattaya.

By all means farm it, sell it to the pharmaceutical industry for processing and deliver it to the hospitals for doctors to prescribe it. Get rid of all the shops that sell it to whoever wants it, and make it illegal as a recreational drug for sale/personal use.

Easy solution.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

By all means farm it, sell it to the pharmaceutical industry for processing and deliver it to the hospitals for doctors to prescribe it. Get rid of all the shops that sell it to whoever wants it, and make it illegal as a recreational drug for sale/personal use.

Easy solution.

Better to have cigs and alcohol legal because they cause less harm? I'm not advocating for the criminalisation of either cigs or booze because that's just as rediculous and won't happen but this century old idea that dope should be classified as a narcotic is just that. A century old. Actually I think it was 1936 or there abouts. Dope of course will still be available but a person becomes a criminal again for smoking it and the real criminals go back to making a fortune. Yep! good idea. Go and get drunk and smoke ciggies is ok but have a spliff and your a criminal. Rediculous. It should be decriminalised with caveats. No smoking areas. Yes. Same as cigs. Sale to minors illigal with stiff penalties. Purchased from licenced outlets. Define the amount a person can have for personal use. Define the amount a person can grow for personal use. Farming/plantations regulated and licensed. These are some examples of how it can be done. Basically decriminalized rather than legalised. Sadly baffoons run the show here.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Recreational is medical, it's for the peace of my mind, I know it's slowing me up but I need to because my mind is much faster than my mouth or hands.

Thailand by definition, afaik means The Land of The Free (cmiiw) more than just LoS, so please keep this freedom to enjoy weed, you're forefront the first leader on this subject in Asia. When your neighbors are being late, don't follow them, they should follow you in this regard. 

Once again: Recreational is part of Medical.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Advocacy Groups in Thailand Urge Health Minister to Rethink Cannabis Criminalization

4536470279_6ab6f139a1_b.jpg

On May 16, 2024, Prasitchai Nunual, the head of the Shaping the Future of Thai Cannabis network, along with several other representatives, requested Thai Minister of Public Health, Somsak Thepsuthin, to review the laws against cannabis use. They presented a letter to the Thai Ministry of Public Health, suggesting that they consider if cannabis should be classified as an illegal drug, or if a specific law to regulate its use should be enacted, as reported by Thai national media.

The cannabis-supporting groups asked the Thai Ministry of Public Health to compare the benefits and harms of cannabis, alcohol, and cigarettes, using reliable statistics and facts. They requested that an impartial committee be established, comprised of elected people to review and summarize the information.

Minister Somsak acknowledged the medicinal, health, and financial usefulness of cannabis, provided it meets global standards. He clarified that he has only ever recognized its use for medical purposes since its legalization in 2022, and doesn't support recreational use.

Alongside this, other pro-cannabis groups, including business owners and users, submitted letters to Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, asking him to assess whether cannabis should be classified as a narcotic drug. These letters were submitted from various provinces such as Chiang Mai, Phuket, Chonburi, and Buriram, as per Thai national media reports.

These groups called on the Thai government to create a specific legislation for cannabis and to set up a dedicated department to regulate its legal use and ensure unified standards across the country. They presented studies showcasing the benefits of cannabis use and the potential revenue it could generate, requesting the government to consider this information before classifying it as an illegal narcotic drug.

Finally, they proposed the idea of a public vote or that individual areas, like Phuket or Pattaya, should be allowed to decide their stance on the legality of cannabis.

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Google

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Weed users are not riff-raff. They are made up of all types ranging from backpackers to well-off residents. Anyway, whatever your background, make the best of it while you can. It appears the civilized move to relax regulations is about to be snuffed out by Thaksin's people. Cannabis will soon be back into the hands of gangsters , sadly.

Please elaborate, thai gangsters as army and police? 

No mafia without any of their support. 

As for the Pattaya dispensary I rest my case. 

“Most of my customers are tourists buying cannabis for recreational use. This change could drastically impact our business,” he said.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin calls for a crucial meeting to reassess the legal status of cannabis,

So when he announced it was gone, finished before the end of year....?????

Two shops have closed in Pratumnak, 0ne on Soi 6, another on 5. The one at the bottom soi 6 never had a chance, they spent some decent money on refurbishing, but totally the wrong location

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1