Hair Straightening Revisited

sbk

I have had my hair straightened using Wella Wellstraight here for a few years now. No damage. My hair is smooth and super shiny. And if i want a messed up beachy kink I scrunch it up as its drying to add texture!

Costs 800b at my local thai salon! Bargain!

Happy straightning!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am going to Follow SBK and her advice on Brazilian Keratin at Zenred Salon

Got an appointment booked for next week for the organic QOD Brazilian Keratin (new formula) Cant wait!

I have tried the wella and shishedo hair straightening, and i really dont like what it does to my hair, looks great until you need to do your roots, im hoping Brazilian keratin changes all that. I've seen some amazing pics on the Zenred site.

Thanks for the advise SBK

Edited by Jenny Adara

• 3 months later...

I believe there is another place in Bangkok doing the latest organic QOD formula Brazilian Keratin Treatments - these are the safest and dont contain any formaldehyde, plus they wash the same day. No waiting for 48 hours and having that awful smell when you sleep.

I am researching this and the QOD formula is not unproblematic either.

Test results show 3.5% Formaldehyde:

http://www.ewg.org/h...e-formaldehyde/

Also refer to the FAQ of the manufacturer:

http://qodusa.com/no...aldehyde.shtml

The Myth of “Formaldehyde Free”

There are a number of keratin formulas on the market claiming to be “formaldehyde free.” Technically, this may be correct. Many of these “formaldehyde free” products, however, are likely to contain other “aldehydes,” urea, or similar mixes which share the potent characteristics of formaldehyde. Often these compounds convert into a form of raw, unrefined formaldehyde when heated. Even though QOD Brazilian Keratin formulas do not contain industrially manufactured raw formaldehyde, we choose not to advertise them as “formaldehyde free.” We find this to be a disingenuous marketing gimmick. More importantly, it is potentially harmful. If stylists are comforted with a false sense of confidence, believing that a product is “formaldehyde free,” they may not follow the same stringent safety protocols they would with other powerful salon products. That would be a mistake. The bottom line is this: Any formulation that produces a significant volume-reduction in the hair lasting several weeks is a potent salon product. It should always be treated with healthy respect, and handled in compliance with salon safety protocols by licensed hair professionals only.

There are no exceptions to this, and there are no short cuts to achieving the remarkable, long-lasting effects of a Brazilian Keratin treatment. If a product is truly without formaldehyde or any derivatives, its effects will most likely last only until the next washing. A beautiful flat-iron and blow-out with some nice keratin-based conditioner might last for several days and make a client happy - but this service is not a Brazilian Keratin treatment.

I am in Bangkok and thought about getting this done due to the good reviews but I have some serious doubts and will probably leave it.

Do they allow for plenty of ventilation during the treatment, especially during the heating phase where the formaldehydes are released?

Do they provide a mask, fans, open doors/windows?

Edited by g00dgirl

Hadn't seen this topic before so it;s good that it's been revisited! Since being here I've had the Wella and Shiseido straightening treatments like Khunjt and Jenny Adara (800 baht and 1000 baht at my local Isaan salon) and was very happy with the results. So it's good to know there's better stuff out there in Bangkok (though it sounds like London prices anyway). I don't go to Bangkok a lot but the treatments i saw advertised in salons were up to about 5000 baht.

I've got curly and frizzy hair and immediate results were great and I'd say my hair was good for 3 months and needed doing again after 6 months. I've had straightening treatments in London which were about £100 and lasted a similar time though i think Brazilian keratin treatments are £100-200.

• 5 weeks later...

I got mine done recently by the hairdresser of my better half, she has (re-opened) her small saloon outside of BKK, I only paid 600 Thb and I'm happy with the result. I have no clue what she used but my hair isn't dried out or anything, it looks smooth and shiny. I've tried other (more expensive) places but it sucked big time, my hair was still curly and I was p*ssed to have wasted my money for nothing.

• 5 months later...

Hair straightening is one thing, real keratin treatment another.

Lots of places claim to do keratin treatment and don't.

The products are very expensive so if you are quoted something less than 4K up, it is most likely not a real keratin treatment but just chemical straightening.

Both will result in straighter hair but chemical straightening damages hair while keratin protects it.

Japanese hair straightening also apparently grows out strangely, a friend of mine did it and said her hair was dead straight at the ends and then curly from the roots as it started growing. She ended up cutting her hair shorter to get rid of the odd effect

• 2 months later...

Be warned that if you color your hair, you need to have it done before the keratin and preferrably at the same shop -- do not self-color, the keratin will wash the color off entirely (did to me).

Also be warned that after keratin treatment your hair may be more resistant to coloring, at least mine has been, badly enough to put me off keratin in future. (I'm blond with very fine hair, which may be a factor -- apparently brunettes respond a bit differently).

I self colour a few days before the treatment & never had a problem, I also colour at least 3 times before having the treatment done again & it doesn't effect the treatment or the colour. It could be the type of treatment &/or colour you use Sheryl. I use a colour mousse & have the Brazilian keratin treatment. My hair is very fine but there is ALOT of it.

I self colour a few days before the treatment & never had a problem, I also colour at least 3 times before having the treatment done again & it doesn't effect the treatment or the colour. It could be the type of treatment &/or colour you use Sheryl. I use a colour mousse & have the Brazilian keratin treatment. My hair is very fine but there is ALOT of it.

Boo,

What brand is the color mousse you use? I'm in the US now so maybe could stock up....

I use which ever is on special at boots between these brands.

http://www.boots.com/en/LOreal-Preference-Mousse-Absolue-Permanent-Hair-Colour-Sunkissed-Dark-Blonde-730_1319857/

http://www.boots.com/en/John-Frieda-Precision-Foam-light-ash-blonde-9A_1150452/

http://www.boots.com/en/LOreal-Sublime-mousse-pure-darkest-brown_1162312/

Obviously in different colour to these listed but out of the 3 my favourite is the John Frieda. It seems to last the longest & gives a really even coverage, no surf lines between grown out roots.