Solicitors Cost

harleyotooles

ive just been to see a solicitor about the breakup of my marriage i am informed that i get 50% of the cost of my house and land is this correct?

i was also told that the solicitor charges 10% of the property value,is this right or can i get the price by the hour has anyone experienced this and have phone no?

Think you can get 50% of the house, but you cant own the land anyway, so one would assume you mean you get 50% of the proceeds from selling the property ?

Never heard of this 10% thing, I would go and see another lawyer as it sounds like your current one is attempting to fleece you somewhat, of course you can pay a lawyer by the hour...

You can negotiate a fee with a lawyer, most will do a fixed fee.

If you divorce, under Thai law you split up all that was acquired during the marriage. The possesions one had before the marrriage are let out. So if you already had a house, it will be left out the settlement. If you had 100,000 before the marriage and now 250,000 you will split 150,000, not the full 250,000.

You can negotiate about what to pay/recieve. If you both agree to divorce and about the settlement, you can just go to the amphur to get divorced and enter the settlement in the register. If you can't agree or one doesn't want to divorce, than one has to go to court to get a divorce. A divorce by the court can only be granted for the reasons stated in the law.

More about Thai divorce law in the pinned topic about Thai family law: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Family-Law-t313877.html