Thai People And Noise

Latindancer

I've lived in 4 countries. Argentina was pretty noisy but the noise was mainly machines (cars etc). Argentinians are very much like "normal" people (noise phobic).

On the other hand, most Thai teachers use an amplifier in class. Why? To get the attention of students because they can't make the students shutup without an amp.

I refuse to use an amplifier in class. My voice is considerably louder than any of the pathetic amplifiers in use in Thailand. By now, all of my students know that I can be louder than the whole class & if need be, I can shut them up in 1 second. I think it's perceived as a weakness if a teacher uses an amp.

It seems to me that Thais simply accept this bloody awful racket...just to avoid being called anything but a 'jai yen' person. This is clearly absurd as my students know what they can get away with & what they can't get away with. The result is a relatively quiet classroom where I hardly have to raise my voice anymore.

"Volume" in Thailand is akin to "penis size". The louder you are, the bigger the penis. I, however, am not talking about the size of my "old fella".

It is not a matter of Thai and noise. You guys are seem to be noise-phobia. I found foreigners especially farang talk loud and yelling in public like the receiver is deaf, it is a nuisance. On the other hand Thais are more soft talker,

You seem to be missing the point. The noise created by two people talking probably won't damage a third parties ears. Walk into any of the major department stores on a Saturday and the noise level is at the dangerous level- thanks to the fascination that Thais seem to have with amplification.

The problem in thailand is two fold- one, the fear of silence- like children, the need to have noise around all the time

And second- the kriang jai notion that to complain about the noise someone else is making for no reason except their own selfish enjoyment, is tantamount to kicking sand in their face.

As a good (Thai) friend told me- if someone is playing loud music when I am trying to sleep- and I complain- the rude person is---- the one who complains. Figure that logic.

may i be the first to suggest something? you guys are too fuc_king old. complaining about "all the noise", jesus people, is there anything you can't find to complain about?

my story is... i have a thai friend who insists on turning off the radio and driving in silence. i enjoy it, but i also enjoy my music. and i enjoy my music, quite loud. anyway, i've seen the farang demographics and i'm just going to assume you guys are too old. sorry if i've offended most of you but, good lord, be quiet!

I've lived in 4 countries. Argentina was pretty noisy but the noise was mainly machines (cars etc). Argentinians are very much like "normal" people (noise phobic).

On the other hand, most Thai teachers use an amplifier in class. Why? To get the attention of students because they can't make the students shutup without an amp.

I refuse to use an amplifier in class. My voice is considerably louder than any of the pathetic amplifiers in use in Thailand. By now, all of my students know that I can be louder than the whole class & if need be, I can shut them up in 1 second. I think it's perceived as a weakness if a teacher uses an amp.

It seems to me that Thais simply accept this bloody awful racket...just to avoid being called anything but a 'jai yen' person. This is clearly absurd as my students know what they can get away with & what they can't get away with. The result is a relatively quiet classroom where I hardly have to raise my voice anymore.

"Volume" in Thailand is akin to "penis size". The louder you are, the bigger the penis. I, however, am not talking about the size of my "old fella".

Please study up on the physics of sound, impact on distance on sound, class room acousitics, reverberation, impact on speech noise on speech perception, and the prominence of Otitis media in school age children....

Then after doing all of that, you may find you appreciate class room amplifiers... (maybe)

Please study up on the physics of sound, impact on distance on sound, class room acousitics, reverberation, impact on speech noise on speech perception, and the prominence of Otitis media in school age children....

Then after doing all of that, you may find you appreciate class room amplifiers... (maybe)

You mean, I must use statistical evidence to justify my well behaved classes? And why would I appreciate amplifiers if I no longer have to speak loudly?

may i be the first to suggest something? you guys are too fuc_king old. complaining about "all the noise", jesus people, is there anything you can't find to complain about?

my story is... i have a thai friend who insists on turning off the radio and driving in silence. i enjoy it, but i also enjoy my music. and i enjoy my music, quite loud. anyway, i've seen the farang demographics and i'm just going to assume you guys are too old. sorry if i've offended most of you but, good lord, be quiet!

I also enjoy my music- very much- am rarely without it- and yes, I also enjoy my music played quite loud--- but I also am aware that not everybody has the same tastes as I do. And the mere fact that I have the electronic means to force people to listen to what is turning my crank at the moment, doesn't mean I have the right to do so. I assume you are old enough to have some concept of consideration? That just maybe not everybody wants to hear your racket, no matter how much you enjoy it. You are old enough to understand that aren't you? Over 9?

You must just have got of the plane or something.

That just maybe not everybody wants to hear your racket, no matter how much you enjoy it. You are old enough to understand that aren't you? Over 9?

i have no idea what you are going on about.

Let me re-phrase what you really meant to say:

"i don't want to have no any idea what you are going on about."

Internet shop noise is the best. I want t record it actually. Then if i ever get a thai in my car, I can play it back extra loud to make them feel at home.

I am hoping for a change in the handgun laws...

That is priceless, Loz. Sunday afternoon when the local internet shop is full of screaming Thai boys playing video games is best. With all the war games gunfire you could shoot the lot of them and nobody would even notice.

Only joking folks, only joking. I enjoy watching kids have fun. I'm totally convinced that Thais could sleep through a war zone and not even notice, or hear the bombs dropping around them.

That just maybe not everybody wants to hear your racket, no matter how much you enjoy it. You are old enough to understand that aren't you? Over 9?

And why not, crystal clear to me

but I am a Brit

:)

Nearly every somewhat modern Asian city I've ever visited or lived in has had a sometimes ridiculous level of noise. With that being said, I must say that Thailand is probably one of the worst offenders I've experienced so far. I have come to ignore it most days, and rarely even notice it much anymore. In my younger days, I spent too much time with a rifle at my shoulder and caused myself some moderate hearing damage. The ringing in my left ear has droned on for years, but it's only really noticeable when it's very quiet. In those rare quiet moments, I still have the loud ringing in my ears and it's much more annoying than any PA truck, dance music, and overall street noise. Even in the dead of night here, I have to leave the TV on to drown out the ringing or it keeps me awake. The one constant noise factor for me is living next door to a Mosque here in the north. Five times a day I get "The Mullah" blasting the "Call to Prayer" through my bedroom window from the Minaret. I'm all for religious freedom, but I wish that guy would take a day off once in a while.

Packing a rifle near my shoulder never bothered me noise wise, only bothersome when taken off of shoulder and firing it. :)

That axe your wielding in your avatar might have more of an effect as far as hearing loss.

Edited by mogoso

Internet shop noise is the best. I want t record it actually. Then if i ever get a thai in my car, I can play it back extra loud to make them feel at home.

I am hoping for a change in the handgun laws...

That is priceless, Loz. Sunday afternoon when the local internet shop is full of screaming Thai boys playing video games is best. With all the war games gunfire you could shoot the lot of them and nobody would even notice.

Only joking folks, only joking. I enjoy watching kids have fun. I'm totally convinced that Thais could sleep through a war zone and not even notice, or hear the bombs dropping around them.

That's drive me crazy. I can't stay for more than 5 min, not a noise-phobia. I can't stand the bang bang and boom boom

In my younger days, I spent too much time with a rifle at my shoulder and caused myself some moderate hearing damage. .

Packing a rifle near my shoulder never bothered me noise wise, only bothersome when taken off of shoulder and firing it. :D

That axe your wielding in your avatar might have more of an effect as far as hearing loss.

I suppose I could have worded that a bit clearer. By "rifle at my shoulder" I meant in a shooting position. :)

Years of playing guitar certainly hasn't helped, but a few too many rounds discharged "in the heat of the moment" without proper hearing protection certainly did the most damage.

Obviously. :)

The words, thick, & two short planks, come to mind. :D

It's quite simple really, noise is associated with fun. And busy shopping malls are trying to replicate the market environment.
You seem to be missing the point. The noise created by two people talking probably won't damage a third parties ears. Walk into any of the major department stores on a Saturday and the noise level is at the dangerous level- thanks to the fascination that Thais seem to have with amplification.

The problem in thailand is two fold- one, the fear of silence- like children, the need to have noise around all the time

And second- the kriang jai notion that to complain about the noise someone else is making for no reason except their own selfish enjoyment, is tantamount to kicking sand in their face.

As a good (Thai) friend told me- if someone is playing loud music when I am trying to sleep- and I complain- the rude person is---- the one who complains. Figure that logic.

Two very astute, perceptive posts. Well said, gentlemen ! I'm starting to understand the phenomenon now.

Blaze has hit the nail squarely on the head, those last 3 words is the Key! :)