Uk Pension Applicant Needs Help

sleepyjohn

Hi

I've done some searching but have some questions.

I am 61 and a bit.

I am one of those guys who has travelled a lot, and when in the UK did lots of bits and pieces and didn't get their stamps paid. In the very large lots of time I was out of work I never signed on once and so never got my stamps paid free.

I have taken very little indeed out of the system and have just paid a quarter million baht for medical treatment because I cannot access the NHS at the time of life I need it. I would like to at least get a partial pension. I have been told some interesting things some of which may not be exactly so.

Sixth form school counts as two years

University counts too, that's another two

I can back pay 6 years

I can pay from now on that's nearly 4 years to 65.

This lot alone if they can find nothing else would amount to 13 and 3/4 years which divided by 30 years gives over 45% of the full pension.

Is this all true so far?

From there....apart from other bit and pieces......I was a partner in a pub in Germany for a couple of years.....BEFORE the EU about 77 on. My partner did all my paperwork. Would I get a credit for this?

I have had considerable health problems.....very seriously bad back problems (recorded), and now a (very real also recorded) panic disorder which has stopped me getting back to UK to do some work each year, but never used this to get payments of any sort. Can I use somehow use this for national insurance payments retrospectively?

I am told April the 5th is very important and I must get started officially by then. Is this date truly critical or would I just lose a year?

Any other tips?

Thanx v much in advance

John

Edited by sleepyjohn

John, I suggest that you find the address of the DWP and write to them with your queries. The DWP will answer all your questions and advise you on what to do next. When I was living in Thailand I wrote to the DWP and received an answer by return post within one month. You could also do this via e-mail if you do not wish an original letter of reply for your personal records.

John, you've been misinformed about a lot of things. You should read HM Revenue and Customs pamphlet NI 38, Social Security Abroad, which is available on the net and which will answer most of your questions - although I doubt if you will like most of the answers!

hel_l John - you've got yourself into a bit of a mess here, haven't you(?)

Okay - as far as NHS treatment goes, to the best of my knowledge if you go back to the UK for ANY hospital treatment - just keep your mouth shut and no-one will be any the wiser i.e. give your name and address (address: meaning any UK address you can use - the NHS does not check addresses and electoral rolls, SS numbers ect ect .... to verify patient eligibility. At most - if anything! - it will want to know that you are a UK citizen, and at worst that you are an EU citizen), and quite frankly, you shouldn't have any problem at all getting whatever treatment you require. How the hel_l did it come about that the NHS established you were a no-resident (the primary reason folk loose eligibility) and you had to pay up for NHS treatment??

Thankyou all for your kind replies!

I'll going straight to the "worst":

John, you've been misinformed about a lot of things. You should read HM Revenue and Customs pamphlet NI 38, Social Security Abroad, which is available on the net and which will answer most of your questions - although I doubt if you will like most of the answers!

John I've read it through.

I find it and other publications do not conflict with my suggestions of what I can do in my opening post, with one worrying proviso:

I see it says that to top up pay from abroad I must previously have three years of NIC contributions. This would be a problem but may (should?) be covered by the 4 sixth form/ university years. I did read something casting doubt on the school years counting somewhere, (although a friend says they do....I think from experience waiting to ask him), but the NI38 article you cited itself leans to supporting those school years counting:

Whilst in the UK you may be able to get credits instead of having

to pay NICs if you are:

• unemployed or unable to work because of illness or disability

for full weeks (a week for these purposes means Sunday to

Saturday). You will normally have to attend an interview every

two weeks at your nearest Jobcentre Plus office (Social Security

or Jobs and Benefits office in Northern Ireland), or send in sick

notes (also known as medical certificates) to your nearest

Jobcentre to get the credits. In Northern Ireland you should

send sick notes to the Incapacity Benefits Branch, Castle Court,

Royal Avenue, Belfast, BT1 1SB

• entitled to Maternity Allowance or Carer’s Allowance

• entitled to Statutory Sick Pay, Statutory Maternity Pay or

Statutory Adoption Pay

• taking a course of approved training

• receiving Working Tax Credit

• required to attend jury service and did not have earnings

at, or exceeding the Lower Earnings Limit for employed

earners employment

• receiving a compensatory payment such as a Payment in Lieu of

Notice (PILON), or a Payment in Lieu of Remuneration (PILOR)

• a person who served a prison sentence for a conviction which

has been quashed

• a man aged 60 or over (credits can be awarded automatically),

but this will not apply to any tax year during which you are

abroad for more than 182 days. These credits will start to be

phased out from April 2010

• a young person, for the tax year in which you reach age 16 and

the two following years.

Maizefarmer

I haven't been banned from NHS treatment, just still can't get on a plane home due to a very genuine and disabling phobia (getting slowly better without drugs). This has been sorely tested just now with a serious cancer problem so I know I'm not there yet. Oddly enough i have flown planes myself! :)

To carry on with the questions.... I have read I can get:

a forecast of how much you could get by putting off claiming your State Pension, if you have asked for it

Does this mean I can put off the pension and continue contributing after 65 for a while if I wish to?

and can I re-ask:

I am told April the 5th is very important and I must get started officially by then. Is this date truly critical or would I just lose a year?

thanks to all

John

Edited by sleepyjohn

John - okay, understood.

Are you aware that you can still in this modern age buy "passage" on bulk carriers and container carriers - there are a couple agencies around that specialize in selling commerical boat "passages" - one is a company called www. cargoshipvoyages.co.uk - I done it twice in the mid-nineties, once alone and once with the family, and both times had a great time. Took the train down to KL (Malaysia) - the boat took 13 days to get to South Hampton. Accomodation was excellent and the food was first class - and it was a lot cheaper than going by plane.

I have also sent the web address to your private message box

Thankyou kindly for that Maizefarmer very thoughtful....

I have sent an enquiry if any boats from BKK, though I must say I think I should be aiming to be able to use planes normally again. There was a time I was never off them and actually both the RAF and BOAC wanted me to train as a pilot, me having been in the Air Training Corps. Be nice to know I could get back anyway though and write my book at the same time. Last time I voyaged was to Australia and back in the 50s! Would it be about 25 days from BKK?

Back to the pension questions proper......any information whatever about my previous questions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers John

Thankyou all for your kind replies!

I'll going straight to the "worst":

I didn't think it was that bad, John!

Seriously, I wasn't trying to worry you unduly but I think you are being a bit hopeful - for example I phoned the HMR&C Centre for Non-Residents today (44 1912037010) about applying for a National Insurance Number for a Thai spouse and checked on NI contributions at the same time and was told specifically that it is only your time for two years at school between 16 and 18 that counts towards NI contributions, not any time at university. I also contacted the International Pensions Centre (44 1912187777) about applying for the NI number and was told totally different information, which left me a little unimpressed although both calls were answered quickly and efficiently.

I was going to advise phoning them and asking for advice yourself, but as they ask your NI number and you will then be on record as being abroad when calling this may not be such a good idea. To answer your other questions: you can put off claiming and increase your pension once it is paid, but you cannot pay into it beyond 65; voluntary NI Class 3 contributions must be for a full tax year to count, so the date could cost you a year's contributions.

I think maizefarmer's advice is very sound and that the sooner you get back to the UK, start getting some medical treatment, and "sign on" and start getting some NI contriutions paid for you the better - I am told that after 60 they assume you are unemployable, so most JobCentres bin the fortnightly interviews anyway.

Good luck

John - okay, understood.

Are you aware that you can still in this modern age buy "passage" on bulk carriers and container carriers - there are a couple agencies around that specialize in selling commerical boat "passages" - one is a company called www. cargoshipvoyages.co.uk - I done it twice in the mid-nineties, once alone and once with the family, and both times had a great time. Took the train down to KL (Malaysia) - the boat took 13 days to get to South Hampton. Accomodation was excellent and the food was first class - and it was a lot cheaper than going by plane.

I have also sent the web address to your private message box

Have you seen the prices for those "cruises"?

Unless i am reading it wrongly, they start from £450 for just a trip from UK to Holland !!!! :)

Most, if not all of the long haul ones cost thousands

Penkoprod