Nationwide Flex Account Card Changes

I know many people use the Nationwide flex account to draw money from UK accounts as for many years its been the cheapest way to draw money from Thai atm machines.

Today I got a letter with bad news for all, the next generation of flex account cards WILL NOT I repeat WILL NOT be usable in atms outside of the UK.

The new cards will be issued from July onwards, they can still be used anywhere in the world as a debit card but no longer as an atm card other than in the UK.

I imagine this may affect a number of people on here. It certainly will make it more expensive for my Mrs to send money back to her parents when we are in the UK, it shouldn't affect you "full time expats" or at least not too much.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news people but thought you would all like to know about this now so you have time to make other arrangements. Apparently Santander are doing a worldwide free withdrawal account but it is only available to those with a mortgage through them .

I imagine those Flexaccount holders with a CIRRUS card can apply to upgrade to VISA. From Nationwide website:-

How do I upgrade to a debit card?.

You may be eligible to upgrade to a debit card if you have handled your account well. However, there are also circumstances where we would not be able to consider upgrading, which include if:

you are under age 18;

your existing account has been open for less than seven months;

you have applied for an upgrade within the last four months;

your account has recently been overdrawn without our authorisation;

you have missed payments for other Nationwide products you hold;

your account has not been used in the last three months;

you have missed loan, mortgage, or credit-card payments with other providers; or

you are currently bankrupt or have an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) with your creditors.

If none of these circumstances apply to you, you may be eligible for an upgrade. Please visit your local branch.

Hi

We've been using travelex cashpassport card everytime we revisit Thai. Our rellies have the second card so we transfer money in to pay for the house (not so much)

Question: If we wish to pay the house off while there this time, should we take 'cash' AU$ and walk into the bank with it and cop their rediculous charges etc. or change AU$ to Baht at the airport then hit the bank.

Using the card at atm would be too costly at 20k bht at a time.

Hi

We've been using travelex cashpassport card everytime we revisit Thai. Our rellies have the second card so we transfer money in to pay for the house (not so much)

Question: If we wish to pay the house off while there this time, should we take 'cash' AU$ and walk into the bank with it and cop their rediculous charges etc. or change AU$ to Baht at the airport then hit the bank.

Using the card at atm would be too costly at 20k bht at a time.

Do you not have a Thai bank that you can transfer funds to ?

This subject has already been covered and applies to cash cards ie CIRRUS and not to VISA cards that most people have.

So it will be end of free withdrawls, cashcard is free but the visa debit card will incur a 1% fee.

Reminisce of the days I used to withdraw 300 GBP which got me 23,000 baht free with no fee.

Oh and just to add, If your not on the electoral role, it's unlikely you will be upgraded to a visa debit card.

This subject has already been covered and applies to cash cards ie CIRRUS and not to VISA cards that most people have.

So it will be end of free withdrawls, cashcard is free but the visa debit card will incur a 1% fee.

Reminisce of the days I used to withdraw 300 GBP which got me 23,000 baht free with no fee.

Oh and just to add, If your not on the electoral role, it's unlikely you will be upgraded to a visa debit card.

It will depend on behavioural/credit score when you apply. The website suggests that you should 'visit your local branch'. This will obviously not be possible for anyone residing permanently in Thailand.

The Flexaccount is not intended for overseas residents (Nationwide steer you towards Nationwide International, who do not offer a Flexaccount) and without a UK address (maybe voters roll as well, although evidencing an address may be sufficient) I think you will be unable to upgrade - making the account valueless.

That's to do with the exchange rate. It has NOTHING AT ALL to do with Nationwide. :)

That's to do with the exchange rate. It has NOTHING AT ALL to do with Nationwide. :)

Except that Nationwide soaked up the VISA transaction fee until last year.

Nationwide remain the best UK bank for accessing cash in Thailand. Worrying about a partner, or family member, overdrawing on the account should be the least of your concerns. They do it once - red card ! (not blue one).