Work Permit Confusion

I have a non-Imm B VISA and been using one for years to visit a subcontractor in Thailand...usually just a few days, then I'm out of the country. My company does not exist in Thailand, only the Thai subcontractor.

Now my work wants me here permanently...for say a few years. I don't understand this whole work permit rules in my case. Since I am not working for a Thai company, and my paycheck is still back in the US, at what point does the law say..."OK, you've been in Thailand XXX number of days, so you have to get a work permit".

Should I always have had one before? Even for just a 3 day visit to a subcontractor ? I think that I would need to get one now, since I will be staying permanently in Thailand. Where is the switchover point, from not needing one, to needing one?

I understand the rules when you are hired in Thailand and working with a Thai registered company, but what about me?

The absolutely honest answer is that no one else understands the rules as they apply to short-term business visits either. Of course, that's not going to stop all sorts of people from telling you with absolute certainity that THEY understand, but they don't.

As a practical matter, all countries tend to overlook short-term work by visitors and genuine non-residents and group those visits under varying kinds of 'business visitor' visas. As a strict matter of law, as a result, a lot of visitors to a lot of countries could probably be found to be working there illegally, at least technically.

In any event, I think your take on your status is right on target. If you are going to be 'based' here, regardless of where you checks are issued, the local subcontractor should apply for a work permit for you as an advisor to his company. He will have to certify that he is paying you a fairly minimal salary, but whether he actually does so or not is another matter.

That will not only cover all the bases with respect to your legal status here, it will put in your hands a document that is often required for all sorts of things in daily life -- opening all forms of bank accounts, getting some kinds of internet service, utility connections, getting telephone service et al. A work permit isn't always required to do these things, of course, but the demand to produce one can crop up at the oddest times and result in real trouble for you if you don't have it.

I hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

i am applying next week for a non o marriage visa but if i have that visa can i still get a work permit or do i need a b visa for that?

and for the b visa what papers do i need apart from the introduction letter from the company with their supporting papers of that company?

anybody has ideas?

i am applying next week for a non o marriage visa but if i have that visa can i still get a work permit or do i need a b visa for that?

and for the b visa what papers do i need apart from the introduction letter from the company with their supporting papers of that company?

anybody has ideas?

Non immigrant O visa is fine for obtaing a work permit. That will require the normal marriage certificate, copy of wife ID card at most Consulates.

Ive just been told that in order to work in thailand we need a NON-immigrant b visa from our home country(usa) to work in thailand. Now how is that possible? how about if we dont have 2 grand to fly back to get a non -b? does this make any sense? Last time i got my non b visa from singapore , has the rules changed?

Ive just been told that in order to work in thailand we need a NON-immigrant b visa from our home country(usa) to work in thailand. Now how is that possible? how about if we dont have 2 grand to fly back to get a non -b? does this make any sense? Last time i got my non b visa from singapore , has the rules changed?

You can still get a 90 day b visa in Singapore or KL with your company doc's. After you get your work permit, depending on your nationality and the mood, you may get a one year multi entry in KL with a PND #1(monthly withholding tax).

If your company is established... has a annual audit with a balance sheet of one million Baht, gross turnover in 2006 higher than the foreigners salary in 2007, have 4 Thais employed per work permit. ...In this case, if you have a 30 day tourist visa exemption stamp or a 30/60 day tourist visa with at least 21 days remaining, you can change this to a Non -B inside Thailand.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com