Child Born In Uk To Thai Mum With Uk Dad.....is The Attached True?

Shuguk

This is a question and answer from another website. It is about a young guy that was born in the UK to a Thai mum and UK dad. Is this, in fact, true? Surely many families will have been affected if true. Any comments/advice?

<H1 style="MARGIN: auto 0cm">"Can i get a thai passport? can i buy land once i have a passport?</H1>my mother is thai and my dad is english, i have lived in england all my life (19 years) and have an english passport.

<H2 style="MARGIN: auto 0cm">Best Answer - Chosen by Voters</H2>As a child to a Thai mother, you are entitled to dual citizenship. You can go to the Thai Embassy in London with your mother. Take both your certificate of birth and your british passport with you. The embassy compelled to give you the Thai nationality, and hence the passport. You do not buy them, but you would have to pay a fee approx. 1,000 baht (about 63 baht to a pound).

The catch is when you turn 20 years of age, you must give up your British citizenship and have proper official evidence to present to the Thai embassy within six months. Otherwise, you then loose your Thai nationality.

That is the Thai law on nationality.

Only one incident that a Thai can hold dual (or more citizenship) that is a Thai women married to a foreigner, and by doing so she gains additional nationality, then she is allowed to retain the Thai nationality unless she opts to give it up. (This law has just been reinterpreted about ten years ago.) Once you have the Thai passport, you then entitled to everything as a Thai person has, voting right, purchasing land, and the duty of serving in the armed forces, namely.

Good luck and welcome to Thailand."

Thanks,

Shug

The catch is when you turn 20 years of age, you must give up your British citizenship

?

Do a search on Dual Nationality, incorporating Samran as the poster, he has given definitive responses to this old conundrum.

However my take on it is you don't have to give it up, but if you are registered on the Tabien Baan, you may get called for military service.

Tomorrow if I get time I will search for some comprehensive threads as this has been covered several times before, but beware there are some fairly out-dated responses, 'Coventry', being one, but samran generally knows the score.

You may get a Thai I.D. card and passport, but only after you prove to the Thai government that you are a born Thai person from your mother. I know a young lady that lived with her American dad in America after her mother and father divorced, and when she decided that she wanted dual citizenship she had to submit to blood tests to prove that she was a child of a Thai citizen.

Barry

As stated above, one can have dual nationality under both UK and Thai law. There is no requirement to choose once you become 21. That is based on a wrong interpretation of the Thai nationality law and many Thai people hold dual nationality without ever choosing.

One would have to register the birth with the Thai embassy, with the help of the British birth certificate. At the same time one can apply for a Thai passport, both parents have to agree to a passport for the child. relevant documents can be found on the website of the Thai embassy.

A Thai ID-card can not be obtained till 15 years old, and one has to be registered on someones tabien baan and applied for at the amphur where registered.

As stated above, one can have dual nationality under both UK and Thai law. There is no requirement to choose once you become 21. That is based on a wrong interpretation of the Thai nationality law and many Thai people hold dual nationality without ever choosing.

One would have to register the birth with the Thai embassy, with the help of the British birth certificate. At the same time one can apply for a Thai passport, both parents have to agree to a passport for the child. relevant documents can be found on the website of the Thai embassy.

A Thai ID-card can not be obtained till 15 years old, and one has to be registered on someones tabien baan and applied for at the amphur where registered.

Thanks to everybody that replied.

The problem here is that a nine year-old boy with 2 passports is being left everything (land and properties) in Thailand by both his Thai mother and English father (they both now live in the UK but in the process of divorce). I am trying to find out if there could be a problem in the future regarding his claim on the estates. I have flagged it up to them and now up to them.

Thanks again for the input

Shug

The problem here is that a nine year-old boy with 2 passports is being left everything (land and properties) in Thailand by both his Thai mother and English father (they both now live in the UK but in the process of divorce). I am trying to find out if there could be a problem in the future regarding his claim on the estates. I have flagged it up to them and now up to them.

Shug

My daughter was born in UK but she now lives in Thailand, she has a British and Thai passport and a Thai ID card. She is named as the 'second' owner behind my wife (who has duel nationality) on the Thai house document. From what I have heard, as long as I don't go shouting about it, the Thai authorities will not 'force' my daughter to choose between UK and Thai nationality.

Shug

My daughter was born in UK but she now lives in Thailand, she has a British and Thai passport and a Thai ID card. She is named as the 'second' owner behind my wife (who has duel nationality) on the Thai house document. From what I have heard, as long as I don't go shouting about it, the Thai authorities will not 'force' my daughter to choose between UK and Thai nationality.

Thanks David, exactly what I was seeking......info from somebody that has been through the process. Now we wait until the boy can get his ID card.....his name is already on the house document.

Take care

Shug