Acer Laptops

sammycic

Acer has generally pretty good specs for the price.

They are not the best out there, but their service department is definitely one of the best, basically a no questions asked repair/replace policy...

They are not the best out there, but their service department is definitely one of the best, basically a no questions asked repair/replace policy...

I have to agree with monty. I have an ACER 5050 4 years old still going strong. Acers service department is fantastic.

In my experience Acer always employ 'refurbished' parts in repairs. Their build quality, and the quality of components is also a factor. I guess they have so many 'spare parts' available for re-use due to the number of units failing.

thanks monty the acer 4740g seems to me to have pretty good specs as you say for the price. i thought with the warranty they offer they cannot be that bad as others have suggested.

thanks

I have an Aspire 5720Z

I've found it great and i consider it to have done its duty after about 4 years of constant use without to many dramas, especially since it was on a cashback special, costing AU$550.

Just lately i've noticed the speakers are getting a little crackley and the drive has a louder than normal buzzing sound when playing DVD's.

Also the little plastic part of the sliding opening mechanism fell out but a small amount if chewing gum in a strategic spot fixed that :)

I have a Extensa 4620 and have had no problems in the 10 months I've had it. I have used it almost everyday.

It's a business application model which I don't really need but got a good deal on it at the military PX so got it

anyway. No need for tech support so far. :)

I have been running an Acer 4736Z 24 hours a day for the last 9 months with no issues. I upgraded RAM from 1GB to 2GB at service center for 1,180 baht so don't consider that excessive. Service center girl also called tech to check computer when she was not able to get touchpad to work (I have turned off as always use mouse). Most service people would have just handed back rather than check I suspect.

I have been running an Acer 4736Z 24 hours a day for the last 9 months with no issues. I upgraded RAM from 1GB to 2GB at service center for 1,180 baht so don't consider that excessive. Service center girl also called tech to check computer when she was not able to get touchpad to work (I have turned off as always use mouse). Most service people would have just handed back rather than check I suspect.

Thanks for the info lopburi. how do you find it for hd playback to hdtv as that is what is what i want it for. the one i am looking at has a nvidia geforce 310m.

thanks.

I have not used for more than a few hours and only have the on-board video. 720 seems fine but 1080 has/had issues with 1gb but have not tried since change and never stopped downloading and other operations. Don't have much time to watch as on-line most of the time. In the future; maybe. Am sure with the Geforce it should work well.

I have not used for more than a few hours and only have the on-board video. 720 seems fine but 1080 has/had issues with 1gb but have not tried since change and never stopped downloading and other operations. Don't have much time to watch as on-line most of the time. In the future; maybe. Am sure with the Geforce it should work well.

thanks think i will go with 4740g/2063 as it has the lastest technology and if the 4736 works good with hdtv then this one should do the trick. just was the pretty negative comments about acer.

thanks