Advice On Buying A New Pickup

Hi All, 

Until about 2 days ago, I was going to buy a used pickup in the 150-200k range. Now I think, buying new is a better option. As this will be the first new car I ever owned (I'm 45), I'd like a little advice as to what would be my best option.

The pickup would not be used that much -- mainly by my wife on our small farm. Perhaps 60-100kms per week and not every day. Carrying passengers mainly with the odd load in the back (we are not transporting crops about). The occasional long trip (perhaps 500kms -- once or twice per year). I only need a 4x2 not 4wd and prefer manual to automatic. Probably a 4 door cab is my preference.

I went to the dealers here in Suphanburi yesterday and have narrowed the cars down to: Nissan Navarra, Toyota Hilux Vigo,  Mitsubishi Triton and the Chevy Colorado. I don't like Isuzus and Mazdas.

I read on this forum that in terms of resale that Toyota is the way to go. But I doubt we'll be selling this car for 15-20 years. Thinking that disael would be the better option, am I right?

What do you suggest in terms of reliability, after sales service and extras? Which is my best option? Or are they all about the same and up to my personal preferences? Any advice greatly appreciated.

I am more than happy with my VIGO though I also like the DMAX though for various reasons I would stick to these two here. With Toyota I think you wil have a much more farang trained experience in dealing with them....though where I bought mine they do not speak English. By this I mean they respond to problems in a more farang fashion than the never mind it won't fall off yet attitude I think you may get with dmax. Diesels last longer but need more service. Incidentally with Toyota you just take the vehicle in when you want and they do the services straight away...not like Australia where youput it in at 8 am and pick it up at 5pm.

Dmax vehicles are good though. I would love a MU7.

I am more than happy with my VIGO though I also like the DMAX though for various reasons I would stick to these two here. With Toyota I think you wil have a much more farang trained experience in dealing with them....though where I bought mine they do not speak English. By this I mean they respond to problems in a more farang fashion than the never mind it won't fall off yet attitude I think you may get with dmax. Diesels last longer but need more service. Incidentally with Toyota you just take the vehicle in when you want and they do the services straight away...not like Australia where youput it in at 8 am and pick it up at 5pm.

isuzu and Toyota has 80% of the pickupmarket in LOS. The number of dealers and servicepoints is unbeatable.

Modern diesel do not require more maintance than gasoline engines. Expext 400.000 km /10 year without major problems as long as you service/change oil and filter every 10.000km/6 months as required.

isuzu and Toyota has 80% of the pickupmarket in LOS. The number of dealers and servicepoints is unbeatable.

Modern diesel do not require more maintance than gasoline engines. Expext 400.000 km /10 year without major problems as long as you service/change oil and filter every 10.000km/6 months as required.

Dmax and vigo recomendationis 5000km for disel 10000 for petrol.

Edited by harrry

Dmax and vigo recomendationis 5000km for disel 10000 for petrol.

No

Dmax old engine, replaced 2005, was 5000 km oil.

My first Vigo was 2004, 3,0 D4d, service 10.000 km

My present Vigo 2010, 3,0 D4d, service 10.000 km.

While diesel and petrol both needs oil/filter replaced at every 10k km / 6 months, only petrol needs sparkplugs every 40k km and tune up at every service

Mitsubishi Triton and the Chevy Colorado would be OK if keeping for 15+ years, There are lots of 1 year old ones for sale for around 400k,[Triton holds it value a bit better] so lost 200k in a year.. same as a 3 month old Tata or a year old Mazda or Ford.

Only Isuzi or Vigo would it take more like 3 years to have lost 200k

Isuzi D-Max or Chevy Colorado are the cheapest in service costs + have the best fuel economy [not sure about the new engine in the Vigo brings it nearer on economy]

I notice that our OP has not investigated the Ford Ranger.

The new duratorq common-rail engine is much more frugal than the older engines which had a deserved reputation for being thirsty, worth a look if you're buying new.

One minus is resale value as most Thais seem to think Ford are a bad car.

As usual, nobody mentions Nissan. Wonder why. Guess there's not that many discerning pickup buyers in the market. :D

Quick, where's the bucket, ooops, to late, where's the mop. :)

I bought the Ford Wild Track, the only one non boring truck in Thailand.

Okay, you will pay a little extra for the Toyota but it will, if kept in reasonable condition, always have a slightly higher resale, although keeping it for 15-20 years resale isnt your highest priority.

If you are going to keep it that long then the ONLY vehicle to get is the Toyota vigo. Years ago I met a Toyota Hilux driver on the side of the highway, I noticed it was a very old Hilux and I asked him how many Kilometres it had done.....the owner told me he had owned it since new and it had 860,000km on the clock. I asked him what work & repairs he had done to it in that time.......the look he gave me could of killed you, he snapped, "Mate, I havent done anything to it, its a fekkin Hilux, you just keep refueling it, change the oil and filters and she'll never stop".

I personally have owned Toyota Hilux, one of which I used to travel around Australia in, it was the 3.0 lt turbo diesel variety........never let me down & we went up and down just about every remote track in the outback.

If you are doing so little miles each week, especially if they are short runs, it would pay to change the oil and filter more regularly than 10,000 km's but thats up to you. I would look at the 2.5lt version, as it used much less fuel and has adequate power, in 12-18 months time it will be the only engine option for Hilux anyway.

Okay, you will pay a little extra for the Toyota but it will, if kept in reasonable condition, always have a slightly higher resale, although keeping it for 15-20 years resale isnt your highest priority.

If you are going to keep it that long then the ONLY vehicle to get is the Toyota vigo. Years ago I met a Toyota Hilux driver on the side of the highway, I noticed it was a very old Hilux and I asked him how many Kilometres it had done.....the owner told me he had owned it since new and it had 860,000km on the clock. I asked him what work & repairs he had done to it in that time.......the look he gave me could of killed you, he snapped, "Mate, I havent done anything to it, its a fekkin Hilux, you just keep refueling it, change the oil and filters and she'll never stop".

I personally have owned Toyota Hilux, one of which I used to travel around Australia in, it was the 3.0 lt turbo diesel variety........never let me down & we went up and down just about every remote track in the outback.

If you are doing so little miles each week, especially if they are short runs, it would pay to change the oil and filter more regularly than 10,000 km's but thats up to you. I would look at the 2.5lt version, as it used much less fuel and has adequate power, in 12-18 months time it will be the only engine option for Hilux anyway.

I believe the 3,0 D4d will continue. Landcruiser just launched in LOS with 3,0 D4d Euro IV. 172hp/410 Nm. Vigo 3,0 is still EuroIII 163hp/343 Nm. Only difference is ECU and exhaustsystem.

^ I read somewhere on a Toyota rumours forum that soon hilux would only have 1 diesel engine option, due 2011 or something, i cant remember where tho. I was just reading between the lines, so perhaps im wrong.

The 2.5 does seem somewhat better on fuel tho, so for someone who isnt towing or carry a load all the time, it seems like a wise choice.

For farm work, I would get the Pre-runner because it sits higher, but you dont need to goto the expense of having 4x4 if not needed. A lot of people that choose 4x4 that dont use it, often find it an expensive option which needs to be both used and serviced.

I went through a similar exercise and I concluded that Vigo was the best option. However the Nissan came a close 2nd Masda worth a look as well. Isusu have a good reputation and quiet a nice interior. But externally boring. I rented a Mitsubishi for a few days. Quiet a good car to drive but the looks do nothing for me. I thought the Chevrolets have very average interiors cheap plastics etc.

I'll also stick my neck out and suggest looking at the TATA. Cheap and not a bad package.

But if resale is not important and longevity is, I'd stick with Toyota.

I have orded and expect delivery later this month of a new 4 door Toyota prerunner 3.0 4x2 5m.

My requirements are similar to what you quoted as I make the odd trip up to the village in Issan. I don't envisage driving around the rice paddies so 4wd is not necessary, the roads up North are mostly in very good condition so no problem.

The extra ground clearence on the prerunner can be an advantage as the odd road around the villagers are prone to big potholes.

I bought this particular model knowing that it will outlive me for sure and be a boon to my wife in the future.

Everyone has the own opinion regarding the better model of course, however as I have run fleets of pick-ups in rough conditions in various countries, the toyota of all the models that the companies have purchased gave the best service and reliabilty. I speak as the maintenance guy who had to keep the fleet on the road.

We also have a 3 year old Isuzu DMAX 4x4 5M which the Thai son uses around the village and rice paddies, this has proved to be trouble free, so it is basically down to which one suits your pocket or meets the eye. There is not a lot of difference in price for similar options.

The most annoying part of the whole business of buying a new Toyota is the time you have to wait for delivery, I've had to wait almost two months for my vehicle whereas the Isuzu we drove out of the showroom.

it will be interesting to read your final choice.

Cheers

I'm an Auto Advisor in Toyota Dealer. My dealer is one of the biggest dealer in Thailand, Located in Kanjanaphisek outer ring road, 40 mins from Suphan buri.

My email is [email protected] and my mb is 085-9009900.

If you looking for the best service and the best deal, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Kob

Many thanks to all those that contributed. I learnt a lot. Basically, you all confirmed my suspicions. Looks like we'll go with Toyota (cheers Kob, got your details). I too had experience driving a 4wd Hilux round the Top End of Australia in the 1980s -- incredible machines even though I think it was only a 1600cc. Cheers and thanks once again.

Suphan buri is a big city with all the dealerships. They should have a test drive truck for you to use.

In Petchabun I have test driven all the main trucks with the exception of Ford, the dealership closed down a few years back.

I too are on the look out for a 4 door 4 x 2 truck and out of all of them the new Toyota 2.5 Prerunner was the best, admittedly you cannot form too much of an opinion with a 20 minute blast down the highway but it appears well built, comfortable and plenty of power.

Only down side being a 760k Baht truck and no airbags!. A couple more extra lucky charms on the dash will have to suffice.

I know you mentioned not liking Mazda, but the BT50 raised up one- Hi-Racer I think, was the next best, basically a Ford Ranger!! but it must have the most comfortable seats of all the pickups I have driven and the cabin is quality too.

Subsequently have ordered the new 2.5vn 4 door Prerunner, if I wanted black could have one by the end of the week, all the metallics plus white, 4 to 6 weeks delivery!.

Keeping a pick up truck 15 years+, that would be an interesting topic, I had a 2.7L Nissan Frontier for 7 years, and have just sold on a 3 year old Nissan Navara, good truck and workhorse but too many squeaks and rattles, which I could never find!

My neighbour has just sold on his 10 year Ford Ranger, only had 132k km's and was immaculate inside.

He has a new Isuzu Hi Lander 3.0L VGS auto with all the bells & whistles, however the deisel clatter is driving him nuts!, that is one noisy truck!, keeps muttering about his beloved Ford.

• 2 weeks later...

Picking up a new Mazda BT50 in the morning. 2 dr + 2 half doors 2.5 lt high rider. Cheapest of the bunch by far. 620K. Looks and feels much more solid too. All the usual extras.....Insurance, liner, film, chrome bumpers, mats, alloys, rear bench seat, etc.

The clincher was that they offered 40k Baht more for our old truck than anyone else! :):D

Regards.

Mitsubishi Triton and the Chevy Colorado would be OK if keeping for 15+ years, There are lots of 1 year old ones for sale for around 400k,[Triton holds it value a bit better] so lost 200k in a year.. same as a 3 month old Tata or a year old Mazda or Ford.

Only Isuzi or Vigo would it take more like 3 years to have lost 200k

Isuzi D-Max or Chevy Colorado are the cheapest in service costs + have the best fuel economy [not sure about the new engine in the Vigo brings it nearer on economy]

Your devaluations are correct, based on sticker price. However, in the case of Chev and Mitsubishi you really do need to factor in actual price paid as they're heavy discounters.. One of the big reasons why these brands sell for less in the used market is because the new vehicle was (if negotiated correctly) discounted around 10-15% and still had all the usual freebies - you won't get free insurance, accessories and a good discount from Toyota. So the real used devaluation after 2 years ends up around 15% to 25% - which is pretty much par for course. Brand value does factor into it of course (and that can be hugely regional in Thailand BTW), but it's not the whole story.

One curious thing is why are there so many near new second hand Prerunners for sale? There is a nice looking Exclusive for sale here in Aran but I'm looking for a 4x4 so will likely buy new. I want a larger box so I don't want the 4 door, I haven't seen a newer second hand extended cab 4 x 4 of any brand for sale.

Edited by Sakeopete