Samui's Award Winning Airport

:) Too bad if you drive your friends to the airport. The drop off point is just that ! Unload your passengers as fast as you can as the aggressive minibuses pull in behind, beside and in front of you, this is THEIR territory ! And why is there no parking here in order to have time to give a proper farewell ? Then, after the passenger checks in, he is asked to walk without cover 1km. to the departure gate, past rows of high rent shops hoping to grab your last Baht with their overpriced goods. Where there was once many passenger golf buggies providing a free lift on this section, now there is just one, who shows up when he feels like it at 25 minute intervals. Too bad if its a blazing 40 deg. day or belting rain !

I agree entirely. This has been a problem since the beginning and I have had more than one arguement with Bangkok Airways about this with the usual useless response that shuttles are available which we all know is nonsense. I actually quite like Bangkok Airways and without them we would not have an airport but this is one aspect of their service which falls well below par and which despite complaints they seem (for obvious commercial reasons) disinterested in addressing.

You're right. It was a stupid decision to withdraw the buggy shuttle. They are trying to herd the punters through the honey pot shops on their way to the departure gates, the same as the large International Airports. But these airport shops are under cover and have A/C.

When the check in is tight, the 25 minute buggy departures are not good enough. If enough people complain it might help to get the

buggy service re-instated.

There is parking,on the left before check in,and free.

:) So lets get this right. I drive to the drop off point (past the free curbside parking), unload my guests, do a U turn then drive back to the entrance, another U turn and down to the curbside parking on the left. Like I said "Award winning design" !

You're right. It was a stupid decision to withdraw the buggy shuttle. They are trying to herd the punters through the honey pot shops on their way to the departure gates, the same as the large International Airports. But these airport shops are under cover and have A/C.

When the check in is tight, the 25 minute buggy departures are not good enough. If enough people complain it might help to get the

The old airport was very nice. When i first went to checkin and after they told me to exit at first i thought they were crazy. After i walked under then sun looking at the empty shops i was sure Bankok Air management was replaced with patient from a mental hospital.

At the end of the "shopping" street another security check.

A classic how to destroy one of the best looking tourist airport in the world.

On arrival is worse, the minivan are far away in the parking, so you have to put the baggage on electric van that will go for 250meter...take them back and look for the right minivan.

:) So lets get this right. I drive to the drop off point (past the free curbside parking), unload my guests, do a U turn then drive back to the entrance, another U turn and down to the curbside parking on the left. Like I said "Award winning design" !

There is no airport where you can park directly at the entrance to the departure hall. I dropped off many people over there already, nobody complained. From there it's not even a minute's drive to the parking place. From that parking place it's not even a minute's walk back to the departure hall. There are small open cars, which can bring you to the building with the gates, if you do not want to walk. The walk is pleasant, nobody has to shop and the whole rant is total ridiculous.

The old airport was very nice. When i first went to checkin and after they told me to exit at first i thought they were crazy. After i walked under then sun looking at the empty shops i was sure Bankok Air management was replaced with patient from a mental hospital.

At the end of the "shopping" street another security check.

A classic how to destroy one of the best looking tourist airport in the world.

On arrival is worse, the minivan are far away in the parking, so you have to put the baggage on electric van that will go for 250meter...take them back and look for the right minivan.

I have been at the old airport since it opened countless times. It looked nice, but too small for the masses in the later years. The departure hall for example was generally overcrowded. Too few check in counter. There was just 1 small roofed over restaurant, an open air bar, the wooden seats in the open area and the hall at the gate. Not enough place for all passengers waiting if it was raining. It was simply to small.

At arrival all passengers had to walk to that small and earthy parking place outside to the right....

I don't see where Bangkok Airways will make any more money from failing to run a regular shuttle. The units have been franchised out. I guess maybe part of the deal is everyone has to walk past them.

All the times i've walked past I rarely see any customers so I would guess there will be few takers when they come up for renewal. Well we can only hope things might then change.

I agree entirely. This has been a problem since the beginning and I have had more than one arguement with Bangkok Airways about this with the usual useless response that shuttles are available which we all know is nonsense. I actually quite like Bangkok Airways and without them we would not have an airport but this is one aspect of their service which falls well below par and which despite complaints they seem (for obvious commercial reasons) disinterested in addressing.

Wonder the response wasn't: "We are Thai people, and this is Thailand!" :)

This Monopoly has to go!

THEN things will change, till then advantage of being the only one supplier....

...any price, any service will do till then!

PLEASE, PLEASE....PLEASE MR. Ramnet Jaikwang, speed up things!!!! PLEASE,

as it would be a genuine boon for any business and anyone on Samui!

(Samui Express reported on this issue..)

:D So lets get this right. I drive to the drop off point (past the free curbside parking), unload my guests, do a U turn then drive back to the entrance, another U turn and down to the curbside parking on the left. Like I said "Award winning design" !

There is no airport where you can park directly at the entrance to the departure hall. I dropped off many people over there already, nobody complained. From there it's not even a minute's drive to the parking place. From that parking place it's not even a minute's walk back to the departure hall. There are small open cars, which can bring you to the building with the gates, if you do not want to walk. The walk is pleasant, nobody has to shop and the whole rant is total ridiculous.

Have to agree with the birdman. Have you ever tried to park at Heathrow or any other airport in the UK ? Parking at Samui airport is a dream compared to back home. The walk is far from a km and as said nobody is forcing you to shop. Also the time thing is irrelevant as you are supposed to check in an hour before the flight so you have ample time. No whinge about the taxi drivers though. :):D

The airport is great and everyone who comes here loves it,and the drop off is no problem at all,i cant beleive why some people moan all the time,if you dont like it DONT USE IT THEN!

Exactly!!!!

At the bus station just after nathon, its possible to park directly in front of the busses, enough time to say good bye to the friends, and no ripp off at the surrounding "restaurants".Enjoy it.

Don't you ever get out ? Try Phuket airport for one ! The car park is right next to the terminal !

I know that airport well.

So, please count the footsteps from the nearest and furthest parking place to the nearest entrance of the departure terminal, add that together and make the same at the other airport and compare that under consideration of the yearly amount of cars dropping off people and in relation that the nearest parkings are much more occupied than others and let us know the result.

:)

Edited by Birdman

? why would my comment bring that from you? I travel a lot and liked the airport here as it is different from most I have seen, nothing more. my comment was not meant to be negative towards you or anyone else in anyway and I am sorry if I offended you.

I recently moved here and was not meaning anything disrespectful when I said "residents"

Don't worry, the silent majority as against the vocal minority would probably agree with you. (Apart from the walk to the gate).

Samui has a great airport, residents should be proud of it. It is a refreshing change from the standard international airport replicated around the world.

The airport is very beautiful and very efficient, but why should we residends be proud of that? We have nothing done for that.

Have you been to any UK airport before? Drop off and get out the way quickly so someone can drop off, less of hugs (park your truck in the excellent carpark if you want to do the 5 minutes byebye)] Taxis/minibuses get priority just like any other airport (although they might not be contributing)..

1km? Are you kidding? If you cant walk you probably arent fit to fly. And anyway, wait under the shelter and the bus or golf cart will pick you up, never an issue. 10m max never 25m - walk it or get someone to push your wheelchair. Lazy...

Edited by mattcodes

[bkk Air/USM defense (again)]What competition has it got? Its the best airport I've ever been to for what it is, nothing perfect, it aint Singapore its a regional airport. Infact its won Asia airport of the year (so I heard). I had to wait for Firelfy on Monday - queue for immigration / hung-over-as-death but still better than any airport i've been too. Maybe we need a Krabi style airport (think big shrunk)?

Edited by mattcodes

he is asked to walk without cover 1km. to the departure gate, past rows of high rent shops hoping to grab your last Baht with their overpriced goods.

I hear ya, had a bunch of hand carry items to tote, no shuttle and raining,

Heard a covered walk-way is possibly in the works.

he is asked to walk without cover 1km. to the departure gate, past rows of high rent shops hoping to grab your last Baht with their overpriced goods.

I hear ya, had a bunch of hand carry items to tote, no shuttle and raining,

Heard a covered walk-way is possibly in the works.

It remains a mystery as to why this wasn't in the original plans.