International Drivers Licence?

L-MK

not to rent one (usually they ask for your passport or a copy of)

but you will need an international drivers licence to ride the motorbike.

Or else have 300 baht ready every time the police stop you. (which happens very frequently for motor bikes) And don't forget to wear your "brain basket"! (another 300 baht) :o

Not nit picking but riders need nothing Drivers need a motor bike lic. To get the Int'l for cycles you'll need a chcyle endorsement from home! I, not too long ago, got a Thai DL for car only as that was what my home DL indicates. Careful on the thinking you'll be paying Tea Money as many a copper just puls out the key and you have to get a driver w/Motobike lic to drive away. Sometimes the retal guy has to retrive the motor bike. I've seen this on beach road in Patong.

Hi

Do I need a driver's licence for renting a motorbike in Phuket?

L-MK

I got the international license when I was last in Phuket, and I'm glad I did. Couldn't have been easier to do. I just showed up at the licensing place here in Canada with a passport photo, paid the fee (which I think was $20 or so), and it was all done (I do have my cycle license here, tho).

The whole thing didn't take more than 20 minutes.

As a side note whilst getting my thai DL I presented both a US State and Intl Lic with the required translation copies and the people at the DL office only kept the INt'l copy. Having a Thai DL is far better but you must have a vise that is for some sort of living or working....Have a look at the Thai Visa info for more help here is a good site also http://www.phuketdir.com/pkttransport/

It is a bit of jumping thru the hoops if you are eligable fora thai DL but well worth it as to the traffic coppers and geting lots of discounts..It's kinda like a Farang I.D. card...Thais know you are not a tourist, I get Thai price on Thai Airways etc. :o