The Use Of Polarizer Filters

When I was much younger and having a canon AE1, I was quite a heavy user of filters, colour filters and polarizer filters.

These days, I do not use any but it is probably a mistake.

Do you use polarizer filters?

Why, what brand and an idea about the price in Bangkok?

I fairly consistently use a polarizing filter. In fact, I'm guilty of leaving it on most of the time. Right now I have a Tiffen on the camera. I don't find a lot of choices here, in fact in a lot of the camera shops they didn't even know what a polarizing filter was. In one they tried to sell me a ND (neutral density) filter saying, "Same thing," which -- of course -- it is not. Grrrr!

for me happened that they try to sell protection filter when I asked for nd filter. I agree not many choices here and more expensive. I saw imported brands filters here for 1100 thb while in other asian countries I bought for 400 thb. About the Polarizer yes I carry it all the time and use in high light conditions.

Edited by aeon

• 4 weeks later...

Found a website giving some tests on filters.

Here is the link to the polarizing filters tests

Polarizing Filters

I bought the Kenko PRO1D Wide Band C-PL that ranks 4 in the tests (Kenko is part of HOYA/Tokina)

Kenko PRO1D test

Is selling for about Baht 2,700 in Bangkok. Looks nice but did not get the chance to test it yet.

Found a website giving some tests on filters.

Here is the link to the polarizing filters tests

Polarizing Filters

I bought the Kenko PRO1D Wide Band C-PL that ranks 4 in the tests (Kenko is part of HOYA/Tokina)

Kenko PRO1D test

Is selling for about Baht 2,700 in Bangkok. Looks nice but did not get the chance to test it yet.

please post some photos as soon as you try it, i am curious how kenko filters resolve.

I'm going to Koh Samet for 4 days starting tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll get plently of sun, blue sky, and water reflections to test it.

Results next week... :)

The one thing I haven't quite figured out is when I end up with an occasional photo where the blue sky is way too deeply dark blue due to the polarizer. I just can't get my brain around what causes that anomaly.

I'm going to Koh Samet for 4 days starting tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll get plently of sun, blue sky, and water reflections to test it.

Results next week... :)

The one thing I haven't quite figured out is when I end up with an occasional photo where the blue sky is way too deeply dark blue due to the polarizer. I just can't get my brain around what causes that anomaly.

normally happen with very wide lenses, because they capture a very wide angle and more rays are coming into the lens from more directions and the polarizer cutting out more of the incident wavelenghts.

Adjust the angle of the filter to achieve the result that you want.

With an SLR you can see what is happening, and with digital you can see the

result as well...............

Adjust the angle of the filter to achieve the result that you want.

With an SLR you can see what is happening, and with digital you can see the

result as well...............

Well, I'm not quite that dumb! :)

Seriously, I do know that, that's why the very occasional shot that comes out that way baffles me. 95% of the time the shots w/polarizer come out as expected. You have alerted me to something though...when I think more about it...it seemed like I had this problem more often when still using film, which of course was not previewable in the same sense.

I concictantly have a circular polarizing filter on my camera (need to remember to remove it sometimes!) I also often use a UV Haze filter.

All my filters are MC

Edited by jdinasia

Having used the polarizing filter for a few days, I think I'll do the same as you, Jdinasia, I'll keep it on the lens all the time.

At least during day time, light is just too bright in Thailand, and without a polarizing filter or a ND filter, you just can't get the sky right.

Having used the polarizing filter for a few days, I think I'll do the same as you, Jdinasia, I'll keep it on the lens all the time.

At least during day time, light is just too bright in Thailand, and without a polarizing filter or a ND filter, you just can't get the sky right.

That's my thinking and what I do, but I often wonder if I am just being lazy.