Best Thai Language School In Chiang Mai?

beinaj

I promise that I have looked for over an hour before asking this question as I am sure there must be oodles of info here if I could only find it.

I have one month to devote to learning Thai. That's ridiculous, of course, but I need to try to absorb what I can.

Where on Thaivisa can I information on the various schools and members' experiences??

This has been covered loads of times - trust me... yawn

Get off your "I have been here longer than you" High horse. This forum is about helping others.

I have not tried it, but others that I know have. They endorse the YMCA.

Hope it works for you if you try it.

I, too, am wondering along the same line, and am not wanting to hijack this thread. But maybe both short-term and intensive or longer-term study can be addressed here.

Although students do better in some schools than others, what school--whether AUA, Payap, Chiang Mai University, Walen, or other--gives the most bang for the baht? What texts are used, are the instructors qualified and competent, how many hours a day/week, etc? Approximate cost per hour or term? In my case I'm wanting to get an Education Visa. I already have studied two years at university level, but this was some 15 years ago and I have forgotten a lot.

Please give objective replies from personal or even second-hand experience. (Promotional information can be read on various school websites.) Thanks for your help.

Get off your "I have been here longer than you" High horse. This forum is about helping others.

hey thanks Khun 43 posts over two years - your contributions have been invaluable... and helped many I'm sure :)

we have been through the YMCA's, talktalk, CMU, AUA avenues many times - people tend to (if they want group learning) to choose between YMCA and AUA - now where's my horse parked?

hey thanks Khun 43 posts over two years - your contributions have been invaluable... and helped many I'm sure :)

we have been through the YMCA's, talktalk, CMU, AUA avenues many times - people tend to (if they want group learning) to choose between YMCA and AUA - now where's my horse parked?

I went to AUA and got the most awful teacher, several other people seemed to get her tooCC The very structured teaching book is about 20 years old.

I go to the Thai Language Centre, on the same Ratchadamnoern road towards Wat Pra singh. It's a yellow building that does tours and great coffee.

If you are only here for a short while, they will try to adapt to your needs. I like it, it's fun and I am making progress

hey thanks Khun 43 posts over two years - your contributions have been invaluable... and helped many I'm sure :D

I went to AUA and got the most awful teacher, several other people seemed to get her tooCC The very structured teaching book is about 20 years old.

I go to the Thai Language Centre, on the same Ratchadamnoern road towards Wat Pra singh. It's a yellow building that does tours and great coffee.

If you are only here for a short while, they will try to adapt to your needs. I like it, it's fun and I am making progress

Hi - actually thats interesting as their name hasn't come up before in previous threads (as far as I can see) can you give examples of costs? group and individual rates? looks like this thread is useful after all :)

You're not going to find an "objective" comparison of the books, methods, costs, etc of the major programs -- AUA, YMCA, CMU, Payap, Walen, etc, because no one has participated in all those programs and people who are qualified to make an independent, outside comparison audit are in the business, promoting their program.

I've been taking classes at the YMCA for over a year. I'm satisfied, but can't imagine you'd get much out of just one month at the Y. Currently they have an excellent teacher for their conversational Thai Level One classes, but they meet just three times a week, two hours each time and the first level stresses pronouncation with vocabulary selection that isn't very relevant. The best part of Thai Level One is learning numbers and how to ask about prices. You don't learn about time concepts until Level Two.

If you have just one month but can devote most of that month to learning Thai, then I suggest private tutoring. You could engage one of the teachers at the YMCA for private lessons and she could push you thru the first couple levels, using the coursework from the Y, if you really hit it hard for a month.

Depends on what you want. You have language classes that are taught in more of an academic style - CMU and Payap, or you have the language school style. It depends on which works best for you and your budget. But for just 1 month, I'm not sure that will be enough.

I took Thai back in America for a year and a half - but 2/3 of it was as an intensive course. So I ended up finishing Thai year 3 (6 semesters). I came to learn here cause I need more practice speaking and work on some foundation stuff.

Which that said, I entered into Payap's Intensive Thai program landing in term 3 (because at this point I hadnt read any Thai words for over 6 months so my brain was confuzzled), which is learning the letters and starting to read and write. From the other students in my class, term 1 & 2 were Thai survive vocab and sentences. Food vocab, learning to order food, shopping. Term 3 and 4, you'll learn to write vocab from 1 & 2 in Thai and simple sentence structure. Term 5 to 8, is more flexible topics. Reading, writing and learning vocab, some dealing with Thai culture, others are about what the class might be interested in. It just depends.

I never tried a Language school, but I feel too pressured if it is private teaching or tiny group. At Payap, 6 students minimum is needed to open a class (like any university). My last class had 8. The class I start tomorrow will have 6. I do know the next Thai 1 class they have WILL open in April 27. Thai 1 didnt have enough students last month (3 or 4), so they are on a waiting list for April. By then there should be enough students. Also if you have taken Thai already, you can test into a higher class. You'll have to go see the Instructors on campus for that.

Currently there are 2 Instructors, Aajaan Boi and Aajaan Noi. Aajaan Boi is the one teaching my class. He's very knowledgeable and knows what he is teaching and he makes you learn it. The current program is run by him.

Heres the link http://ic.payap.ac.th/certificate/thai/about.php

Keep in mind that it is more costly then CMU, being that it is a private university, but I'm not sure how much is taught in the CMU program. Also campus is farther out then CMU. Payap is between the Superhighway and Ring rd 1 along the tiny Mae Khao river.

Edited by Yunnie

Hi - actually thats interesting as their name hasn't come up before in previous threads (as far as I can see) can you give examples of costs? group and individual rates? looks like this thread is useful after all :)

One on One is 250Baht/hour.They run 3 week group classes which of course are cheaper which might be right for you, it depends on your timing. I'm assuming you want conversational style Thai and don't yet want to learn to read.

I tried Payap ,but you have to learn to read Thai there.

Suggest you look them up on the net. They are a small family run organisation who worked with the US Peace Corps some time ago. Very friendly, good coffee and reasonably priced food too!

Whatever you do, best of luck, learning Thai makes such a difference to your experience here.

The world and its people, along with its businesses, change locations, service, reputation, and credibility more often than a granny would change her knickers with a leaking bladder.

So what if CMU had a good write-up say 2 months ago! Maybe those great teachers have since left and gone to Wallen or other schools, and what's left are the bottom of the barrel as far as the educators go.

Any business is only as good as its people, and believe you me, Thais change jobs a lot. A post on this business offering a good report on 'some' service a few weeks ago, is about as up-to-date as last year's mobile phones.

So c'mon folks - who's having lessons where right now, this week, this month, and are happy as Larry with what they're getting for their time and money. Help the bloke out if you can. Remember, it's nice to be nice.

Aitch

PS: The best thing TV could do for it's members is to either remove or modify that sodding search non-function. It's costs people their valuable time, and going by most posts, the results are generally frustrating & fruitless to put it mildly.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Thanks, Yunnie, for the detailed information on Payap; that's really encouraging. The other comments on AUA, YMCA, and the Thai Language Center are also helpful. Drew Aitch I especially appreciate your observations.

Please do not forget about Walen, give us a chance too. Still offering free lessons. Branches in Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiangmai, easy to move between cities.

If you try you might not want to look any further and if you do ask other school for free lessons too to compare.

Walen School - your language school

www.thaiwalen.com

Since I cant edit my post I'll post here.

- I actually did the math for the cost of Payap. We have class about 20 days for 1 term. 3.5 hours (+ 30 min break - 9am - 12pm) Monday through Friday. Thats about 70 hours total. Cost of 1 term is ฿ 8000 (without visa and such). ( I didnt count the 30 mins break in my math :))

฿ 8000 / 70hr = ~ ฿ 114 per hour. - Is my math correct or did I screw up? lol

So in a way Payap is cheaper then some language schools. I think alot of people say Payap is expensive because you need to pay all upfront by the first week and the class CANT be worked around your schedule like other places.

Although CMU's 1 year program is cheaper over all I think. But it only covers level 1 and 2 and doesnt go beyond that? I'm not sure cause I dont know what they teach and how much is in their program. You'll have to call CMU and find out.

Edited by Yunnie

Walen lessons are a little more expensive. 165 Baht the most expensive one but we offer visa assistance also.

Walen School - not the cheapest but the best value.

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

Probably the most informative info would come from past/present Thai language students and their experience at various places of instruction. Some of the responses to this topic, as so often happens, seem to want to advertise a business. Just a personal observation.

Walen lessons are a little more expensive. 165 Baht the most expensive one but we offer visa assistance also.

Walen School - not the cheapest but the best value.

www.thaiwalen.com

22,500 Baht for private lessons (30 hours?) is outrageously high, with respect – I am looking to start the same amount of hours of private lessons for 8,200 (from a recognized and established school here in CNX) – that’s not a small difference it’s HUGE

Probably the most informative info would come from past/present Thai language students and their experience at various places of instruction. Some of the responses to this topic, as so often happens, seem to want to advertise a business. Just a personal observation.

Thats right... but to be fair I have read at least 3 more threads this year on the same subject - we do seem to be going round in circles a little? - might be useful to PIN one thread? rather than repeat same info? just an idea

Please do not forget about Walen, give us a chance too. Still offering free lessons. Branches in Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiangmai, easy to move between cities.

If you try you might not want to look any further and if you do ask other school for free lessons too to compare.

Walen School - your language school

www.thaiwalen.com

Maybe it's just fudd- duddy, old me but whenever I see an advertisement for Walen I get confused as to what it is you're really trying to sell. Is it a language school or is a dating agency? Your prices really aren't competitive and your completely unnecessary offer of 'unlimited stay in Thailand' a mere advertising puff. Assesing a school after a couple of free lesons is a complete waste of tim IMHO. Having been to AUA in Bangkok, Chiangmai and tried quit a few others I think that the real thing that decides if the course is any good is the determination of the student. If you want to learn then you will and learning Thai isn't easy particularly for westerners so don't blame the teachers too quickly but look closer to home.

Hi all,

You might try "Inspiration Language Center". It is a new school in Chiang Mai. According to one of their teachers who I'm talking to now :

• All the teachers have teaching certificates for teaching Thai from the education ministry.
  • All the teachers have more than 7 years teaching experience, teaching Thai.
  • 2 of the teachers are currently taking a Master's degree in teaching Thai to foreigners at Rajapat University.
  • They have their own teaching materials that they have developed themselves.
  • They believe in trying to make a fun learning environment and can tailor a program to your needs.

Their no is 0866718359. See there web site at http://inspirationlanguagecenter.com/

Have heard from other students that they are very happy learning with the school.

Jamie

My husband and I both went to this school for a number of one-on-one courses with Ajarn Sompop - he's a great teacher. We started by doing the three week course with a couple of other people who only had a month to learn some Thai. They went well.

2 friendshave beentoboth YMCA and AUA,, and were not that impressed..

they are now doing a course at Rajaphat University (Chang Phuak) and say it is great, good teachers, and course planning.

just for info., sorry didnt ask the cost.

2 friendshave beentoboth YMCA and AUA,, and were not that impressed..<BR>they are now doing a course at Rajaphat University (Chang Phuak) and say it is great, good teachers, and course planning.<BR>just for info., sorry didnt ask the cost.

"Hi all,

You might try "Inspiration Language Center". It is a new school in Chiang Mai. According to one of their teachers who I'm talking to now :

Their no is 0866718359. See there web site at http://inspirationlanguagecenter.com/

Have heard from other students that they are very happy learning with the school."

at 6000bht for 40 hours .... too expensive for me, let me know if their prices reduce to 3000bht for 40hrs and I will try them.

YMCA 2000bht for 30 hours is a better price.

I am also looking for a new school, but nowhere seems suitable.

I want to learn without transliteration but YMCA teach "as learned in a Thai school", Thai schools are pretty dire with a lot of rote learning and poor educational practices. So the YMCA Elementary Thai is pretty hopeless as a course (they hardly have enough students on these courses to start them as they are so poor)

Walen, inexperienced teachers and rote learning

AUA, some of the most unpleasent older female teachers you could imagine (I thought all Thais were polite until I tried this school)

YMCA best of the bunch so far

I can already read, write and speak Thai but understanding spoken Thai cannot, I really want to get good enough to follow phone conversations.

What I don't want is to spend hours learning to ask where the bus station is located or is there a post office nearby.

Edited by sarahsbloke

AUA, some of the most unpleasent older female teachers you could imagine (I thought all Thais were polite until I tried this school)

555. I also had problems at AUA with an older dragon lady called Kruu Ooranute who teaches the reading and writing course often. She is stuck in an old way of teaching, she is fierce in order to preserve her authority in class and won't tolerate anything she thinks diverts from her lesson plan including quite reasonable questions. Couldn't stand her class but to give fair due to the AUA school after some persuasion they transferred credits from the remaining lessons to allow me to work with a private teacher instead.

Will check out Rajabhat Uni, I didn't know they taught Thai. The Inspiration School teachers that I talked to are doing their Masters there.

I can already read, write and speak Thai but understanding spoken Thai cannot, I really want to get good enough to follow phone conversations.

What I don't want is to spend hours learning to ask where the bus station is located or is there a post office nearby.

If you're at a decent level already, maybe language exchange would be more beneficial? And free is even cheaper than YMCA.

This site appears to have people in Chiang Mai looking for partners: www.mylanguageexchange.com

Sorry, but you don't 'park' a horse, you 'tether' it. Frankly, after this mistake of yours, I really doubt that you even own a horse. Plus, I have never seen a horse tethered outside either YMCA or AUA. (Or even untethered).