Don't They Say Sweet Things At Times.

Moonrakers

I don't have the sweetest mouth in the world.

Although an Englishman myself, my Grandfather was a Glasweigan navy man who was completely fluent in profanityish and could sometimes seemingly speak an entire sentence using nothing but swearwords, it was almost poetic at times.

I am almost proud to say that I carry the baton and am upholding the tradition. More to the point I seem to be passing the tradition on already.

My current favourite swearword is gobshite and I use it regularly. In fact, my 5 year old daughter called me a gobshite just today. I think that I may be using the word a little too much.

Why is it that they focus on the words that they shouldn't?

I think that this ad sums it up:

Edited by Moonrakers

i had never heard my daughter (nearly 3) swear before. when we was at tesco she wanted to sit in one of those childrens rides, it was a sports car, you know the type of stuff you'd see in the UK in the 80's :)

anyway in she jumped, i put the ten baht in and as soon as it started moving and she was playing with the steering wheel all i could hear was c***! c***! c***!

Haha, my family is like yours Moonrakers. My dad swears, my sisters and I all swear like sailors. Our granddad could swear for ten minutes straight without repeating a word. We consider that an accomplishment :)

When my nephew was old enough to discuss this (6ish?) my sister took him aside and said, "I don't care if you swear. As far as I am concerned, they are just words and words can't hurt you if you don't let them."

"But, she continued, "most adults will find it inappropriate when a child swears and you will get in trouble at school if you do. So, use your judgment."

He started swearing when he was about 13 :D first word I heard was dam_n.

The point of the post is that no matter how hard we try to teach our kids the right way they will pick up on the wrong things when we slip up.

But yes, blame the problems of your home country on small kids picking up bad words

Bloody hel_l.

I am not saying that it is OK for kids to swear, but what a sterile environment some must have to grow up in.

I am glad that I wasn't bought up in a monastery. Some people need to lighten up a bit.

Edited by Moonrakers

I'd say if you are confident that you raised your kids well then you don't need to worry about them saying bad words in front of their kids right?

But, you carry on.

I will, no need for the permission :)

Daffy,

Don't be such a f'ing party pooper. This is funny.

No it is not

It is sad that parents who do not have the grasp of a basic vocabulary resort to swear words to express themselves and then are proud that their kids do the same.

Party pooper I am not (I can swear with the best of them) but I try to bring my kids up to be "nice" people.

I think personally you are being very judgmental of parents who are having a lighthearted discussion about how kids will always pick up on the wrong thing when the adult makes a mistake. It doesn't make us bad parents & to make claims that it is becuase of this kind of things has made your home country such a bad place is at best misguided.

If you think that older generations of parents didn't swear in front of their kids from time to time then that is naive imo. Or maybe you are right & it is those kids whos parents swore in front of them from your generation who are now to blame for this disintegration of society in your home country?

My parents swore in front of me, I've never even been stopped for speeding let alone arrested, my sister is a police officer, I am an investment banker & we are both raising our own very nice & lovely children. How is this possible in your word view, I should be a criminal maybe? My sister a hooker? Or mugging old people on the streets?

Good for you if you chose to not expose your kids to it & presumably don't swear in any public place either in case someone else kid picks up on it but if I & other parents occasionally let something slip then that doesn't imply that we are raising future hoodlums or that our kids will be less well behaved because of it.

I suggest that if the thread upsets you so much to not read it, now that you know what it contains.

I think personally you are being very judgmental of parents who are having a lighthearted discussion about how kids will always pick up on the wrong thing when the adult makes a mistake. It doesn't make us bad parents & to make claims that it is becuase of this kind of things has made your home country such a bad place is at best misguided.

If you think that older generations of parents didn't swear in front of their kids from time to time then that is naive imo. Or maybe you are right & it is those kids whos parents swore in front of them from your generation who are now to blame for this disintegration of society in your home country?

My parents swore in front of me, I've never even been stopped for speeding let alone arrested, my sister is a police officer, I am an investment banker & we are both raising our own very nice & lovely children. How is this possible in your word view, I should be a criminal maybe? My sister a hooker? Or mugging old people on the streets?

Good for you if you chose to not expose your kids to it & presumably don't swear in any public place either in case someone else kid picks up on it but if I & other parents occasionally let something slip then that doesn't imply that we are raising future hoodlums or that our kids will be less well behaved because of it.

I suggest that if the thread upsets you so much to not read it, now that you know what it contains.

Judgmental? I hope not but just because your parents swore in front of you you feel it is alright to carry on the tradition.

That is sad. Why not lift your kids up a notch and not continue the cycle?

Actually you do come across pretty judgmental. As said, its words. My dad swore and my sister is a senior research scientist with a PhD in applied engineering and recognized internationally as a leader in her field. But, according to your standards, thats just not good enough cause my dad swears and so does she.

I personally don't think its gutter and frankly, don't really care what you think either, you do with your kids what you choose, but I really don't think that its your place to judge others.

Oh and btw, Ted Bundy had impeccable manners.

I think that anybody who gets upset at a few swearwords is naive myself.

It can be a tough, shitty world out there and there are a lot worse things than a little bad language to deal with.

And both transam and Daffy are being judgemental here with Daffy even going as far as to suggest that we cannot grasp the vocabulary and that our kids will not be nice people. How very charming that is.

Edited by Moonrakers

I think I heard my mum swear for the first time when I was 14 and my dad when I was 18 or older. When my parents got angry they used words I had to go and look up. As an adult now I know both of them swear just as much as any normal adult- they just didn't want me or my brother to hear it.

I've always thanked them for the grassroots approach to having an expansive vocabulary. I've found a large vocab encourages others to think you are much smarter, more successful and generally a better person than you really are. It's a useful tool to have. I always notice that my friends who swear the most have the most limited vocabs.

These days I do swear alot, and I read less too. And I struggle to remember words I used to rely on. It's all linked I think.

Think l have missed the point here of the post. Isn't the job of a parent to try and make their offspring better than them, and not drag them down to the level of gutter trash. The next thing will be how many spliffs they can out smoke you a day. Sorry if l sound off but l have watched my country go down hill cos of the kids following their parents example instead of parents keeping their bad behavier for the pub or football match.

I think we are both from the same Country.so well said!

Anyway.

Some of us gutter trash were enjoying this thread so perhaps you might want to leave us alone. You could always open another thread of your own though so that you can talk to each other about what superior parents you are.

Back on topic and ignoring the PC muppets..

My Brother in Law is a fantastic farther and always cringes when I verbally slip up in front of my Nephiews.. the point was driven home by my eldest nephew; nearly 4 at the time saying... Oh bugger !! - We had to correct him to 'oh bother' !!!!

My brother in law with his great sense of humor has taught his son famous lines from famous movies....

On their flight over to Thailand a few years ago (Emirates) my nephew started off on his line of quotes..."You're only supposed to blow the doors off" (Italian Job), the brits in the seats nearby were chuckling away...

I'm Michael Caine - Not a lot of people know that !!!! - More chuckles...

When he commented... "Look, Zulu's everywhere, 1000's of em" (Michael Caine - Zulu).... people cringed... there were rather a lot of Africans on the flight, the folk in the nearest seats who were previously laughing were now staring 1000 yards into the distance out through the front of the plane...

My poor nephew had no idea what he had said, but my brother in law had to somehow ensure he didn't repeat that unfortunate last line !

It's an interesting question though, as to if there is a link between knowledgeable use of a language and the amount of swearing a child is accustomed to hearing? Maybe that's just me, maybe it isn't generally that interesting.

I'm not judging anyone for swearing or not.

My father was ex Navy- and you know what they say about sailors and swearing. I definitely don't allow myself to swear in front of children, and I expect I won't when/if I ever have my own. I'd rather come up with curious words which are witty. That, I feel, would be a parent with an actual sense of humour. It's not particularly hard to say fuc_k, cun_t, shit or gobshite 10 times a day. Try coming up with 10 different, less simplistic but equally offensive terms. They do exist. Or don't bother, which would be easier and simpler for you.

Oops, guess I am now judging. Sorry. There's a time and place for letting rip, and I challenge anyone to swear harder or faster than me on a friday night after 10 pints or when one of my staff does a major fuc_kup causing me to work all weekend, but an understanding that many people in life judge very quickly anyone who does so in any situation other than among close friends, is only going to do your children a favour in the long run.

Ill go now.

Edited by OxfordWill

I didn't notice anyone saying that was what they were doing Will. In fact, I do recall Boo saying that she does try to watch her language but occasionally one will slip out, its called being a normal human being.

And just as an FYI, I've met Baby boo and by far his favorite word when I met him was "disgusting" (something to do iwth dirty diapers I believe).

Hmm. my dad was raised by his grandfather. My dad is 75. His grandfather was born in the late 1800s. Which generation are you on about then?

Never mind, no point in trying to show that perhaps you are overreacting, perhaps you are being overjudgmental cause clearly your mind is made up.

enjoy it.

Anyway, back on topic, for those who aren't really interested in being judged.

You really, really don't understand, and l think perhaps your generation will never understand what some of us are talking about.

You seem fixated on this whole generation thing, like yours was somehow better but as many of us have pointed out, the older generation swore in front of their kids too.

Do you really honestly believe that no one from your generation (or the ones before) swore in front of their kids occasionally or even deliberately & that their kids didn't repeat it??. Purlease.

Protection of the young is so they can enjoy being a kid IS paramount. Perhaps it's because l was brought up in a different time warp but for sure then, it was far better than now (and no banker in the family).

Only in your opinion. of course every generation thinks it was the best but imo you have no idea how good we have it now.

As Oxfordwill stated, his parents never swore & now he thinks it's a laugh to see who can swear the most in the pub, hardly the best advert for not swearing in front of kids is it.

I'm sure you were the prefect parent & I am sure your kids lived in a utopia of child suitable environs. Some of us though live in the real world & our kids are exposed to life on a daily basis by just leaving the house. :)

Anyhoooo back on topic

My son will always pick up the thing he shouldn't, it's like an internal radar. A friend was smoking on the balcony so my son instantly went up, grabbed his pencil & starting copying the actions. I asked him what he was doing & he said "having smoke". Now as I can't rip out his eyes so he can't see people smoking :) I just told him "urgh, stinky & disgusting" he repeated that back & threw the pen on the floor. Same with drinking "white beer" (water with a bit of sprite of soda added for fizz), he loves to drink it & cheers with his glass, but doesn't seem to even notice when someone is drinking a normal glass of water or bottle of juice. I don't know why.

My daughter, who was 3 at the time needed to go to the bathroom for a "pooh" I was busy so couldn't help with the bottom cleaning at end of proceedings. The shout from the bathroom comes" finished papa" but her uncle who speaks good english went to help her. The uncle can be a bit cheeky at times with his english so I wasn't overly surprised when my daughter said " Papa, papa, I just had a pooh and it <deleted> stinks" Her uncle looked mortified that she had repeated what he said!

yes, pooh is my sons favorite topic at the moment (is it a boy thing I wonder?) He goes off & does by himself & then I have to do the bum gun for him & flush it, but he has to inform me of the size & stinkiness of each one. So often I get "mummy, I did pooh-pooh & it's Gi-Norrrr-mouse" Or "Mummy I did a very very very stinky pooh pooh"

He's also taken to informing people in restaurants that "mummy did pooh pooh" when we come out from the toilet after I've taken HIM to the toilet. :)

Ha.

My daughter blames the little things that she does on other people as well.

We could all be sat their watching TV, or whatever, and she will fart. When I look at her she always points to her mum and says that she did it.

She finds it hilarious, young kids love toilet humour.